Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone reloading .45 using Clays

Mokken

4.7 grs with a Missouri Bullet 200 gr LSWC goes 908fps for me out of a Taurus PT1911.

:surprise:

Wow. That sure seems like a lot of Clays.

No pressure signs?

.45 is a low pressure load. You'll find lots of folks running 4.6-4.8 gr Clays in .45 to make major.

BB

Thank you for your insights.

For most folks, 4.2-4.3 under 200grn makes major (200grn at 900fps makes major plus a healthy buffer). To add to that, Clays tends to be a spiky powder at and beyond max.

So 4.7 seems a little energetic.

I've loaded a pretty good amount of Clays, but almost exclusively under 230.

Just as a data point, should I later want to load 200s, I'd like to know if Steve RA has seen any pressure signs.

4.7 grs with a Missouri Bullet 200 gr LSWC goes 908fps for me out of a Taurus PT1911.

No pressure signs?

.45 is a low pressure load. You'll find lots of folks running 4.6-4.8 gr Clays in .45 to make major.

BB

For most folks, 4.2-4.3 under 200grn makes major (200grn at 900fps makes major plus a healthy buffer). To add to that, Clays tends to be a spiky powder at and beyond max.

Just as a data point, should I later want to load 200s, I'd like to know if Steve RA has seen any pressure signs.

I run the same load and have seen zero pressure signs. I've also looked at my chrono data from working up the load, and the data's pretty linear.

No pressure signs?

BB

I run the same load and have seen zero pressure signs. I've also looked at my chrono data from working up the load, and the data's pretty linear.

Thnx.

No pressure signs and the velocity seems pretty linear for me also. See attached. These were shot off a rest and the reason for the 3/4 groups is that several gunwriters/editors say that the best 3 of a 5 shot group shot by hand will equal a group of 5 out of a Ransome Rest. I've got one and it seems to be a pretty accurate theory. Velocities were taken using the 5" Taurus PT1911, not the Commander.

post-25077-0-39740500-1327949273_thumb.j

Edited by Steve RA

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm with mike I M. I ran the same load w/ 230 gr Berry's and made 172 PF in my 4" 625 at last fall's Florida State match. Only maintenance getting ready for second day shooting was a silicone cloth wipe down on Saturday nite 'cause purty guns choot better! It's my standard match load. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Never heard the Spiky comment before...

I'm new to reloading and pretty much have settled on a 3.8 load of clays with 230 lead for USPSA..In an STI Spartan 1911.. 16 lb hammer spring

A Dillon 650... and I noticed I get about 740-750 on the chrono to 170-175 PF

RT

• 1 month later...

Just got back from chrono and my 3.8 of clays loaded at 1.250 was running 751-800 fps.

I recently tested the same load - 3.8 gr. of Clays, 1.250 OAL, 0.4705 crimp, Hornady 230 gr. FMJ-RN bullets, CCI 300 primers.

Shooting a full size Kimber I got an average of 663 FPS with a sample of 23 rounds.

It was an overcast day - I didn't need to use the diffuser screens on my ProChrono Digital.

The chrono was 15 feet away from the muzzle.

Any idea why such a significant difference in velocity compared to what jailer saw with essentially the same load?

Tom

About 4 months ago I went to clays to load some light 155gr 45 acp loads for my Vaquero. 4 Gr of Clays with a 155 gr bullet recoils like a .38 wadcutter.

It worked so well, accurate and clean, that I decided to try some for my 1911. My first attempt was 4.0 gr with a 200gr SWC from Precision Bullets. Its shooting great and runs well with my 9# recoil spring. The load has been very accurate and reliable so far.