Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice needed: P226 X-Five Allround

Demetrio

I'm looking for a 5-inch gun for Production and considering the Sig P226 X-Five Allround. I never had the chance to handle one, so I need some additional information about it, such as:

1) How about its DA/SA, compared with say Tanfoglio Stock 2, Tanfoglio Stock 3 and CZ Shadow?

2) Does it fit well in large hands?

Thanks,

Demetrio.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It fits large hands very well. I have one that I can use in IDPA ESP in 9mm. It has to be trimmed at the beavertail to fit in the 8.75" long IDPA box and then lightened considerably to make the 43oz limit for IDPA. For your IPSC Production division gun, I don't think you need to do anything. Bruce Gray of Gray Guns uses one himself and he is what I consider to be the expert on the X-5. Mine will be going to his shop in Oregon for some work that is legal in IDPA ESP.

The gun is an absolute nail driver but comes with a very light recoil spring which might result in some FTF initially, but will be fine after the gun loosens up a little. The double action is excellent but the hammer stroke is about 2/3 of the SA travel and will result in light strikes if you reduce the hammer spring weight. I use an 18 lb spring in mine but with a standard P226 trigger bar to get full hammer travel.

If you like a heavy 5" gun, this is your pistol. I shoot a standard alloy frame P226 4.4" barrel gun also, but there is difference. I don't have any experience with the other guns you wanted to compare the X-5 to.

Joe

I have read some complaints about extractor issue on the X-Five Allround.

Any comments about this problem?

The extractor problem is common with all X-Fives, not just the Allround. The main problem with the extractor is that it sits too low on the breech face. Because of this, the amount of contact by the extractor claw on the case rim is smaller than it should be. To overcome this deficiency, extractor tension becomes a much more critical variable. Too little tension and the claw slides off the case rim. Too much tension and claw will prevent new cartridges from feeding properly. This is also more prevalent in 9mm X-Fives. X-Fives chambered in .40S&W and .45ACP seem to be less susceptible to the mis-located extractor problem.

The extractor problem is common with all X-Fives, not just the Allround. The main problem with the extractor is that it sits too low on the breech face. Because of this, the amount of contact by the extractor claw on the case rim is smaller than it should be. To overcome this deficiency, extractor tension becomes a much more critical variable. Too little tension and the claw slides off the case rim. Too much tension and claw will prevent new cartridges from feeding properly. This is also more prevalent in 9mm X-Fives. X-Fives chambered in .40S&W and .45ACP seem to be less susceptible to the mis-located extractor problem.

This is not very encouraging, especially when we are talking about a such expensive gun.

And to make things worse, the one I had in mind was a 9mm X-Five.

Thanks for the information.

Demetrio.

When it comes to 9mm X-Five extraction problems, it seems to be luck of the draw. Mine was really problematic, but there are a good number of people who have never had an issue. I didn't have an extraction problem this past season, but my shooting volume was way down. I will say, that when my Allround is working it is by far, hands down, my favorite pistol to shoot. I would take it to the range over anything else I own. It feels great in the hand, popgun recoil, and great accuracy.

The X-5 Comp i had wouldn't hand cycle ammo nor run a single mag without FTF. The Sig Factory folks had me return it to the seller, who then refunded all my $.

Next up, Shadow Custom. Very sweet shooting gun! If it's head stamped 9MM it will run it. Will try out some 9MM Major next week. WANTED MORE!

Here comes the Tangfolio Witness Match 38 Super/9x23/9mm. Out shoots the Shadow Custom! The Match won't work for you(SAO) BUT the Stock 2 or even the Limited Pro both have DA/SA trigers. Both should run about 1/2 of what the Sig cost. Good selection of aftermarket parts including triggers and hi-cap mags($40/22rds). Stock 2 is their Full size Limited Frame w/full dust cover. Full length dust cover is pretty cool looking! Not only will slides interchange but trigger systems can be swapped or lighten very easily. Big handed gun with the stock grips.

Here comes the Tangfolio Witness Match 38 Super/9x23/9mm. Out shoots the Shadow Custom! The Match won't work for you(SAO) BUT the Stock 2 or even the Limited Pro both have DA/SA trigers. Both should run about 1/2 of what the Sig cost. Good selection of aftermarket parts including triggers and hi-cap mags($40/22rds). Stock 2 is their Full size Limited Frame w/full dust cover. Full length dust cover is pretty cool looking! Not only will slides interchange but trigger systems can be swapped or lighten very easily. Big handed gun with the stock grips.

Yes, I'm very tempted to go with a Tanfoglio indeed. Tanfo Stock 3, to me specific.

Cheers,

Demetrio.

I have both and they are great guns. I have not had any reliability issues with the X-Five. I did have issues with the Shadow Custom, but some new extractor springs and ejector angle took care of the problem. Also I had to replace the extractor in the CZ after about 7,000 rounds (it's really easy to do though). I don't shoot the All Around as much so it's not as fair of comparison.

The CZ is cheaper than the X-Five.

The X-Five is more accurate then the CZ (not a huge difference).

The SIG doesn't have as many aftermarket or customization options as the CZ.

The SIG needs a trigger job but with the CZ it's not necessary.

The CZ double action and single action can be tuned to be lower the SIG (with more reliability).

The CZ has a lower bore axis (if that's really important).

The CZ can be made to meet IDPA rules very easily.

The SIG is a snap to tear down as well as detail strip. The CZ is a little more finicky when you get into the firing mechanism. The SIG is also a little heavier in the front...but this could be a good thing.

I have large hands so I had to do modifications to both to account for my grip. The SIG needed the slide release changed, and the CZ needed SP01 (or Rami) safeties and larger grips.

I'm currently sold on the CZ Shadow Custom but I bring out the X-Five occasionally as I really love the SIG as a duty weapon. I'm seriously considering shooting it in Production (only did it once in a match) but I couldn't really defend that choice.

These are all my opinions and observations...of course

Edited by huskerlrrp

I have been shooting the SIG P226 X-FIVE Allround 9MM for two years. At first I was having extractor problems. Another SIG user told me to keep the extractor real clean. After that no issues. I have shot about 16,000 rounds through it these past two years. The recoil spring needs to be changed every 5,000 rounds. The gun likes grease because of the close tolerances. Go to the SIGforum and look at Folks lubrication guide. I have been shooting USPSA with the gun. I got lazy and bought some 10 round magazines. The gun does not like these. After a mag change I had issues feeding the first round from these magazines. The gun uses all P226 magazines. I have been only using Mec-Gar magazines. Interestingly I switched to wood grips because the factory grips were to small for my hands. I put a Dawson Fiber Optic on the front.

I have been shooting the SIG P226 X-FIVE Allround 9MM for two years. At first I was having extractor problems. Another SIG user told me to keep the extractor real clean. After that no issues. I have shot about 16,000 rounds through it these past two years. The recoil spring needs to be changed every 5,000 rounds. The gun likes grease because of the close tolerances. Go to the SIGforum and look at Folks lubrication guide. I have been shooting USPSA with the gun. I got lazy and bought some 10 round magazines. The gun does not like these. After a mag change I had issues feeding the first round from these magazines. The gun uses all P226 magazines. I have been only using Mec-Gar magazines. Interestingly I switched to wood grips because the factory grips were to small for my hands. I put a Dawson Fiber Optic on the front.

I second the grease instead of oil thing. I use either TW25B or medium slide glide.

• 8 months later...

Hello !

Could you please tell me which Dawson Fiber Optic did you put as front sight.

Many thanks

Christos

I've got four guns that are all excellent Limited Div guns; EAA Witness Elite Match .40, Para P16-40 Limited, STI Tactical 5.0 .40, and a Sig P226 X-5 Competition model .40. I use the X-5 in matches, as I just can't get a better feel nor better accuracy than with my X-5.

So far my X-5 has been virtually flawless. The one issue I had was because the gun was dry, and after a few drops of lube, it's never happened again. I've never had an issue with the extractor.

I really like all four of these guns. They are all very accurate, outstanding guns. And now having spent time sending several rounds downrange with all of them, they still can't surpass the X-5 in all around fit, function, and accuracy.

Of course what's good for me may not be so good for others. If you really want to see what the gun can do go to Youtube and watch this video of Sig pro shooter Max Michel, it's pretty impressive:

Here are my four Limited div guns I was referring to:

IMG-20120726-01184-1.jpg

I'm not a Gamer...bought my X-5 All Around to simply have one and be able to shoot it. I will shoot it in informal matches with friends...so making the box...isn't an issue.

After forty plus years with handguns there are few anymore that surprise me. This is ONE of those. It reminds me of a hi end 1911 like a Wilson or Brown more than a SIG. Shoots very SMOOTHLY and the accuracy is surprising.

Only have 450 rds through it, but no issues so far. I know thats nothing, but it's running 100% none the less.

XMHP

post-42788-0-81532900-1347311763_thumb.j

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Gonna stick my 2cents in. Worked at a shop for a long time and was offered to shoot for several companies. "not cause I'm that Good (B class) but because we bought a lot of guns.

Shoot an M&P for a year great gun no problems and was accurate and nice handling. did the Apex stuff to it

Then started shooting a X-5 AR. Very accurate, very easy to shoot. Handles great. Sights are great. I've shoot lots of rounds through it and have not had an extractor issue with mine. no problems getting the trigger smooth and light. No expensive gray guns work either.

With that said sorry to y'all who are having problems with your extractors and no offense to grays their work seems real nice that I've seen.

Just that I didn't need it on mine.

Put a SRT in it and some lighter main springs and polished every thing inside

It is a big gun and seem like around here guys with big hands like them alot. Some of the guys with med. hands seem to go back to their M&P's or try cz's. They seem nice also.

If I was going to do it again I'd buy the SIG

I have a Sig X-5 Allround that I bought so if I wanted to shoot Production. I am an Open shooter and have not shot the Sig in competition but I have put about 1500 rounds thru it. It has run without a problem. I know at one time there was a problem with the extractors but I have not experienced any. I have big hands and the gun is very comfortable to me. I do have Nill's grips on it and they are slightly larger than the factory grips. The gun is very accurate. I did have the trigger worked on and I replaced the mainspring with a lighter one. The double action pull is a hair under 4 lbs with the single action right at 2 lbs. It also has the Sig SRT parts installed. I shoot a Limcat Open gun and a Brazos Limited gun. The quality of the Sig is right up there with those guns. I am planning to purchase a single action X-5 this year.

• 7 months later...

Just taken delivery < here in Spain> of the new model X5 All around. I have found that the reset is too long and am going to order the reset kit for the 226/229. I hope that they will work on this new model! I was told that with the SRT you feel a bit more creep on the SA- anyone have any comments to confirm or deny that?

Sorry about the poor photo, will take more on return home at the end of August !

post-43781-0-35661000-1375523427_thumb.j

I love sigs, but as far as being competitive in production just get a glock 34... sad.gif

Speaking from experience.

Just depends on the person and your preferences. I ditched my 34 for an X5 AA and I've raised my hitfactor by quite a bit. This is this B Class shooters opinion and of course others may have a different experience.

Just taken delivery < here in Spain> of the new model X5 All around. I have found that the reset is too long and am going to order the reset kit for the 226/229. I hope that they will work on this new model! I was told that with the SRT you feel a bit more creep on the SA- anyone have any comments to confirm or deny that?

Sorry about the poor photo, will take more on return home at the end of August !

Typically in my other guns the SRT has made the sa feel a bit more creepy and the DA feel a bit grindy. On my X5 i spend a bit of time doing a bit of light squaring of the sear surface and the hammer hook. Make sure that you polish up the new safety lever and you can get a really good trigger. I may have gotten lucky but my DA is super smooth and my SA has no noticeable creep with a short positive reset. Using the same parts in my 226 however i was not able to obtain the same results.