Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I had someone tell me this recently, "It wouldn't be fair. I'd beat everyone. Do you know John Pride was my partner at LAPD? It would be like Tiger Woods showing up at a local golf tournament."

Seiichi

I'll pay his entry fee!

I had someone tell me this recently, "It wouldn't be fair. I'd beat everyone. Do you know John Pride was my partner at LAPD? It would be like Tiger Woods showing up at a local golf tournament."

Seiichi

I'll pay his entry fee!

...and I'll pay for his ammunition!!!!

(And I'll say this, because I ARE ONE: Cops can just be jackasses about the shooting sports.)

I once had a kid show up at a local indoor match just after he'd graduated from the Academy. He was saying that he was trained by so-and-so and he was best in his class and knew all this stuff. When it was obvious that he'd not won, he comes up to me and says "Yeah, you guys win because you use those competition guns and competition holsters and stuff.". I got PISSED, went out to the car and changed rigs to my duty rig with Safariland SS III holster and Glock 22. Re-shot the entire match. When I finished, I turned around, made eye contact with him, and then took a bow. Not exactly my best behavior, but it proved a point to him.

Edited by Braxton1

Couple I have heard that are similar:

"Too much standing around between shooting......causes me to cool down."

"Less than 5 minutes total shooting time while spending 6-8 hours on the range."

"I just spent $XXXXX.00 on my new Sporting Clays (or Handicap or Singles or Doubles) gun and my gun budget is done for this year."

I've never seen a serious shotgunner ever give thought to money! :roflol: They simply do not play other games, though.

Edited by Dan Sierpina

I think the major issue is really just performance anxiety. Nobody wants to fumble around doing something unfamiliar in front of an audience.

The money issue is very real. I went to a local steel challenge match, only to find out my old IPSC holsters weren't legal because they don't cover the trigger (it's been a long time). I ended up leaving, what else was there to do? I still haven't dropped the cash for new holsters, and haven't been back, although the difficulty certainly was not anybodys fault, least of all the match organizers.

I also once got whupped into open class because I had a 1911 that was completely stock, except for a Bo-Mar rear sight. I've been assured by the new people running the matches that this wouldn't happen again. I still need to get a proper holster for this gun too.

And finally, I went to a local IPSC match, just to watch. Most of the guns in use cost more than my car did, and my car's not terribly old, or cheap. It made me feel like I was in the wrong place with my basically stock guns.

I also once got whupped into open class because I had a 1911 that was completely stock, except for a Bo-Mar rear sight.

!!!!

This was many years ago, and was the match directors call, because of my "non-standard" sights. He chose to equate the Bomar to an optical sight. The people running the local matches now are too sharp for this sort of nonsense.

The ones that worked for me for several years:

I can't afford it

I will look stupid

I only have a Glock 23

The people will be elitists with custom guns

I don't have time

All of these turned out to be true except for the people. The people are great. However, I can't afford it, I look stupid, I have a Glock 23,

I don't I have time. I just don't let any of that stop me anymore. Not having a place to practice was also a big deterent. Now my practice is club matches and dryfire. I will survive.

Edited by RammerJammer