Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40S&W single stack options

Rig Magician

I asked about a Sig for single stack a while back and was told they're not legal for SS.

A SIG 1911-pattern gun would be legal. The Picatinny rails do not exceed the maximum length specified for the Division.

I would be very careful to ensure that it made the 43 oz. weight limit though. SIG advertises a weight of 41.6 ounces for all of their 1911s on the Spec Sheets. I seriously doubt that is true for ALL of their guns, because adjustable sights weigh more; stainless vs. blued steel is a weight difference. And if you start with a 41.6 oz. gun and try to add a guide rod, ambi safety, and a magwell, you're gonna be over-weight.

The SIG P-220, while a single-stack configuration, is not legal. I don't agree with that sentiment, but "rules is rules"....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked about a Sig for single stack a while back and was told they're not legal for SS.

A SIG 1911-pattern gun would be legal. The Picatinny rails do not exceed the maximum length specified for the Division.

I would be very careful to ensure that it made the 43 oz. weight limit though. SIG advertises a weight of 41.6 ounces for all of their 1911s on the Spec Sheets. I seriously doubt that is true for ALL of their guns, because adjustable sights weigh more; stainless vs. blued steel is a weight difference. And if you start with a 41.6 oz. gun and try to add a guide rod, ambi safety, and a magwell, you're gonna be over-weight.

The SIG P-220, while a single-stack configuration, is not legal. I don't agree with that sentiment, but "rules is rules"....

But the slide has more material removed for the Bo-Mar cut than the Novak cut. It probably evens out.

The TT spec'd Para single stack .40 will debut at SHOT show. It will feature a checkered front strap, EGW ignition kit, EGW barrel bushing, match barrel, adjustable sights, flat top slide, front & rear serrations, VZ G10 grips, and Ionbond PVD finish on the frame, slide, barrel, and guide rod.

Found the post.....I don't think the GI Expert in .40 is what we are going to see.

• 1 month later...

Looks like 30-lpi checkering on the frontstrap. Can anyone confirm?

I sure prefer 20-lpi or at least 25-lpi. I wish Kimber, Les Baer, (Para?) and everybody else would take note!

Wonder how wide that FO front sight is? Lemme guess.....0.125"?

Still, looks like a nice package overall. Glad to see some options other than the Trojan!

Trojan with blended thumb safeties, pinned grip safety, and 2.25 to 2.5 trigger job will rock your world! The TGO magwell is great for SS too! Virgil Tripp is the man and has great prices for tuning work.

Edited by BoldasLions

Trojan with blended thumb safeties, pinned grip safety, and 2.25 to 2.5 trigger job will rock your world! The TGO magwell is great for SS too! Virgil Tripp is the man and has great prices for tuning work.

Yeah OK, but the chain link stuff on the front strap of a Trojan ("ribbed, for her pleasure") is not exactly ideal, if you ask me. It's not bad--it's moderately functional--but nothing compares to good sharp 20-lpi checking when it comes to acquiring a good grip on a 1911.

Yeah OK, but the chain link stuff on the front strap of a Trojan ("ribbed, for her pleasure") is not exactly ideal, if you ask me. It's not bad--it's moderately functional--but nothing compares to good sharp 20-lpi checking when it comes to acquiring a good grip on a 1911.

20lpi is the way to go...well if your a man! Lol

EGW + Ionbond and Checkering for under $1000.. Not a bad choice. I too very much dislike the chainlink whatchamakallit on the Trojan.

I'm happy with my Dan Wesson SSC (even without checkering), wish they still made it. (with 25lpi checkering)

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.

The checkering on the front strap of the Para 40SS is 25LPI.

I worked closely with EGW to design the barrel bushing, which greatly improves the accuracy, longevity, and offers the unique profile. The extractor is a machined EGW HD. The ignition kit is by Cylinder & Slide using their hammer, sear, and disconnector.

The slide is flat topped with front and rear serrations. I wanted the entire pistol finished in Ionbond...on the frame, the slide, and the ramped match barrel. Instead of the "billboard" style logo, we did a laser engraved and subdued "Para 40SS". Also, the VZ G10 grips come standard.

Just a taste of what's to come from the NEW Para!

Best regards,

Travis

I have an STI Trojan in 40S&W and it is a good pistol. However, I wish Dan Wesson would make their Pointman in 40 S&W again. I have older DW Pointman's in 9mm, 40 S&W and 45ACP and they are functionally flawless with inexpensive Metalfrom magazines. The STI Trojan in 40 S&W is a bit more temperamental in terms of magazine selection.

Hello: The new Para looks good except they still put the front serrations too far forward. Nobody likes to be that close to where the bullets come out :surprise: I would think trigger pull is 4-5lbs to keep the lawyers happy. Thanks, Eric

Just talked with the guys in the Para Pro Shop. 12 left in stock. Trigger pull is 4-6#. SO..... still would need to have a trigger job and a magwell, but still sounds like a bargain.

I saw this thread and had a little money to burn. I just picked up one of the Paras. I had been considering a Trojan but the internet says the blued finish wears fast and $300 for hard chrome is a lot to pay just to keep a gun looking pretty IMO. Plus my friend bought a 16-40 last year and it runs like a sewing machine. So that was that for me and the Para not running threads that float around.

My gun straight from the box: Has the FPB, has a .105 front sight and .115 rear Kensight, came with two Mecgar 8 rd mags, and the trigger is 4.25 lbs straight out of the box. I will assume that after I clean it, run some ammo throught it to break it in and clean it again that might drop some. The trigger seems to have decent pre travel, a very small amount of creep, and very limited overtravel. Not bad at the price point IMO. I didn't figured the trigger would be all that great coming from a big factory. But with C&S internals it shouldn't be anything that can't be tuned out.

This is coming from a guy that shoots a Glock in limited division. :)

I picked up a Dan Wesson 10mm and installed a .40 barrel. The 10mm DW mags work well with .40 loaded to 1.200" OAL. Might not be something everyone wants to do, but it's another option for those who want something different, or a stainless gun.

dw-3.jpg

I also recently picked up a STI Sentry from another member here and aside from some minor issues, it has been a solid performer.

sentry-3.jpg