Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 75 mods in SSP

dennisp5

I have a CZ 85C extended mag release and have straightened the trigger a little by bending it over a socket in a vice. Do these modifications put my CZ 75B into ESP, or can I still shoot SSP with it? It is my understanding that if the factory makes the part and it is used on a IDPA legal gun, it should be ok. The trigger is stock but looks somewhat different than it did. I am a new IDPA shooter and want to play by the rules, but I think I want to shoot SSP.

Thanks,

Dennis

The gray area with SSP is how far "action enhancements" can be taken. I put a CZ85 trigger in my 75 because of the gentler radius like you made your stock 75 trigger into. With the 85 trigger, you also get the benefit of an over-travel stop, and there is no denying it is a factory CZ part. I also installed the CZ competition hammer.

I don't shoot my CZ in SSP, but shoot it in ESP because I rather start off cocked and locked like my 1911 in CDP.

I haven't shot any major matches with my CZ yet to go through an official tech inspection, since I primarily shoot CDP. In addition to the 85 trigger I installed, I drilled and tapped the 85 trigger for a pre-travel screw, too. That is definitely not a factory feature on a factory 85 trigger, but is is a feature on the CZ SAO flat trigger that I can't stand the feel of. Now, my CZ has a comparable trigger to a 1911. I mainly shoot my CZ in USPSA Limited class, but occasionally I will shoot a local IDPA match with it.

My gun is definitely in more of a gray area of the rules than yours is. All the features that my CZ has are available from the factory in one way or another. How IDPA headquarters would view my gun is unknown. My CZ is not my passion gun for IDPA like my 1911 is, but I wanted it to be the most 1911 like I could get it.

Edited by gigamortis

The whole "gray area" is what I am trying to avoid. I will probably never go beyond local matches, and at that level I doubt anyone would notice or care what I have changed. I guess I just want to play by the rules and not see how far I can push them. I have shot two club matches in ESP because I normally shoot cocked and locked and am more comfortable not changing things until I get more comfortable with IDPA shooting. I guess I have answered my own question, Just shoot ESP!

Does the pre-travel screw make the gun single action only?

Thanks,

Dennis