Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice needed: what 5-inch gun for Production?

I have decided I need a 5-inch gun for Production, so I'd like to get some advice on which gun I should buy.

Considering at this point one of these two:

=> Springfield XD Tactical Model 5"

=> Tanfoglio Stock 3

What do you recommend?

Regards,

Demetrio.

Edited by Demetrio

Glock 34 is 5.31".

Before the 5.25 XDM came out I used the "basic" XDM which is 4.5 and put some Dawson Sights and made some internal changes from PistolGear.com and ran very well. I tried the XD Tactical and just didn't like the overall feel of it compared to the XDM. You could also try the S&W M&P Pro series. Their barrels are 5". Another options, bit expensive for my taste IMO, is the Sig P226 X-Five. But if your set on one of the two you listed, I would try the XD.

Sadly I shoot a Glock 34 now. :rolleyes:

Edited by KTKlaus

I found when I was first buying a "competition" production class pistol or even looking for a replacement, it was hard pressed to find anything out of the box exactly how I wanted it from anywhere *for production guns* (limited was much easier). I found it much easier to buy a stock gun cheap from gunbroker.com (don't know how they work for out of country sales) or classifieds on forums to save money then buy each part individually. Also gave me the satisfaction that if it performed well I could say to myself or others "I did the work myself". Then again same can said for epic failures. :P

+1 for Springer Precision. I've never had them work on my XDM's, but I do like their triggers.

Edited by KTKlaus

I must say I never had the chance to handle an XD, and given that I have large hands, my fear is that my grip may interfere with magazine changes during a COF. What can you say about the XD grip, is it long enough to prevent the occurrence of a such issue?

Another thing: I shot a Glock 17 for two years in Production, and a problem I had sometimes was the slide "bitting" my strong hand at the beavertail area. What can you say about the "beavertail" area in the XD, is it more or less suitable for a such occurrence, compared with a Glock?

Demetrio.

Edited by Demetrio

Another options, bit expensive for my taste IMO, is the Sig P226 X-Five.

Could you tell more about this gun? Seems interesting.

Does it have enough grip area for large hands?

Demetrio.

Edited by Demetrio

Another options, bit expensive for my taste IMO, is the Sig P226 X-Five.

Could you tell more about this gun? Seems interesting.

Does it have enough grip area for large hands?

Demetrio.

I myself have not tried the X-Five, I had a standard P226R before their new improved grip style came out (the E2). I have, I guess, would call "medium size" hands and find the weapon to be "bulky" and slightly heavy for my taste. Still, they are accurate and handle recoil well. That and I like the controls better on most striker fire/safe action (other than my 19/2011's) rather than manipulate DA/SA actions/safeties and decockers. Only one I have to tolerate with due to job is the M9 :rolleyes: .

I must say I never had the chance to handle an XD, and given that I have large hands, my fear is that my grip may interfere with magazine changes during a COF. What can you say about the XD grip, is it long enough to prevent the occurrence of a such issue?

Another thing: I shot a Glock 17 for two years in Production, and a problem I had sometimes was the slide "bitting" my strong hand at the beavertail area. What can you say about the "beavertail" area in the XD, is it more or less suitable for a such occurrence, compared with a Glock?

Demetrio.

The XD/M grip is a little longer but not by much but feels slimmer than a Glock. Never had an issue with the mag release on either. I cant say I have had a slide bite on my XDM, nor can I say I have ever had one on a Glock. The beaver tail seams to be about the same. I do like the grip angle much better the XD/M's (along the lines of a 1911), however, the way I shoot and stack my thumbs, I have a tendency to ride one on the slide release on XD/Ms, so in the off chance that I shoot the last round, it wont lock back.

DSCF0467.jpg

SpringFieldXD9Tactical.jpg

Edited by KTKlaus

• 4 weeks later...

I fully endorse the XDm in 9mm 4.5 " for Production Minor. I have a 5.25 for competition but carry a 4.5 My competition guns have been modified by Scot Springer at Springer Precision. I don't think you can go wrong with the XDm for reliability and accuracy.

I realize the following is not one of the options listed in the OP, but has anyone used an STI GP6?

A friend just put one on layaway. Can't get him to stop singing the praises of the trigger.

Also, what about a CZ Shadow?