Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inconsistent Powder Throws

My 1050 has suddenly started throwing wildly. I am loading 40 Lite using Clays. I have been loading 3.2 grains under a PD 180 FMJ. I recently got an STI that won't run with that light a load, even with an 11# spring. Sooooo, I upped my charge to 3.5 grains and the gun runs fine. Problem is, the press will throw 3.5 ten times in a row, then will throw 3.8 ten times and then, 3.2 ten times. I have tried tapping on the hopper etc. I took the powder measure off and the inside of the hopper( the aluminum part) is corroded and rough. I tried to sand and polish it out with only marginal results. Anyone have any suggestions? I am about ready to go back to VV320 if I can't get Clays to work better.

I know this may be obvious, but you have to go back to basics. Is the "cube" in place between the failsafe arm and the powder bar? Did anything change on the press itself? Did moisture or any foreign body get in the powder?

As for polishing the inside of the measure body, You can make a "wheel" of scotch bright pads and a bolt and a couple of nuts chucked in a drill...

Make sure to report back your findings or results. Good luck. :-)

I know this may be obvious, but you have to go back to basics. Is the "cube" in place between the failsafe arm and the powder bar? Did anything change on the press itself? Did moisture or any foreign body get in the powder?

As for polishing the inside of the measure body, You can make a "wheel" of scotch bright pads and a bolt and a couple of nuts chucked in a drill...

The only thing that has changed is the power measurement.. I checked everything I can think of. I think I have a couple pounds of N320 left. I may try loading some up with that and see if the problem persists. It really doesn't make any sense. I have loaded 5-6K with the original charge of clays.

If everything is working ok with the Powder measure, take out the powder die and inspect it.

I would take the powder measure and die off, degrease, and then put back together. Make sure to use a dry lube on the powder drop tube into the white bushing and use a light grease on the body to the base as well.

Degrease and dry the powder die.

Reinstall.

***Make sure when you are cycling the press you pull the handle the same each stroke***

This will ensure you are getting a repeatable drop.

Measure 10 rounds, then do it again, pulling the handle the same each time. Discount the ones that get messed up with a hard pull due to brass, etc.

This is as good as you are going to do.

It should be just fine, but check to make sure.

Good luck,

DougC

The only thing that has changed is the power measurement.. I checked everything I can think of. I think I have a couple pounds of N320 left. I may try loading some up with that and see if the problem persists. It really doesn't make any sense. I have loaded 5-6K with the original charge of clays.

Any chance its a scale issue? Are you using an electronic? Can you cross check it with a balance or vice versa?

This may be out in left field because I don't have a 1050 to look at but the powder measure looks the same as my 550. I discovered my powder bar was not returning all the way because the nut on the end of the failsafe rod had loosened up. After almost totally compressing the spring I started getting repeatable throws. I threw a half dozen throws back in the hopper then threw 10 for a total of 72.4. Reloaded 50 rounds and rechecked 10 throws and got 72.4 again.

Might be something to look at.

I had this exact problem with my 550, and there were several causes.

As someone else mentioned, the spring nut on the failsafe had to be a lot tighter than what is shown in the video, or the manual.

I also did not have the failsafe arm "perfectly straight" or perpindicular to the shell plate.

I took it all apart, put it together again, called Dillon Support, and spoke with Brian Enos a couple of times and it started throwing correctly.

I hope Dillon steps up and makes a powder station that is more accurate.

I had this exact problem with my 550, and there were several causes.

[snip]

I hope Dillon steps up and makes a powder station that is more accurate.

I think this is a pretty bold statement given the number of things that YOU said YOU did wrong. There are 100's of outside influences that can cause you to have a couple of thousands variance in powder weights and most of those are made by the operator. I for one know it is an improvement over the single stage press I started with 50 years ago.

A reloader expert of mine told me to find an old electric razor and tape it to the powder measure. Fixed it for me using Varget.

Terry

That is pretty funny. A buddy of mine told me to tape an aquarium pump to the powder measure. I am going to mess with it again tomorrow and see if any of these suggestions help. Thanks everyone.

Yep, I've heard of people using various vibrating devices (use your imagination!) to equalize the bulk density of the powder and to maintain consistent flow. I have never tried it myself, but in the manufacturing and material conveying world there are a lot of devices designed specifically to do this. Would be and interesting comparison to do a with and without vibration test on a hard to meter powder like varget.

Seen this happen when a something got in with the powder too. Had a 9mm bullet in there somehow and it caused this type of stuff. You have dumped everything out of it right?

JT

Sure did. Nothing in there. I did notice , today at the range, my last batch of loads with the Clays were REALLY smokey. On the plate rack, after 4 plates, I literally couldn't see 5 or 6. Don't remember Clays being that smokey. I wonder if they powder is damp or something.