Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to find the slide catch off a 226 Sport Stock?

DonovanM

I've bent them by holding the "main" part in a vice, heating the radius to the tab with a propane torch (I use it for plumbing around the house) until orange and then bending the tang with a pair of pliers.

However, I find that with my size of hands and grip I need the SIG slide catch out of the way. I end up "riding" the "extended" control.

Edited by huskerlrrp

A small blow torch works great. I bet you could also use a gas cooktop. It's possible that a Bic lighter would work too. I don't think a soldering iron or a heat gun would get the part hot enough.

Oh, duh. That makes sense. I'll give it a shot.

With my combo of big ol meat paws and a high grip I ride the stock lever bad... Slide only locks back maybe half the time. Really annoying. I don't really want to grip the gun lower so this seems like the only option.

The extended slide release lever is also used on the X-5 All Round. Perhaps that is another way to chase a new part down. Modifying a stock part is easy, however...

I've bent them by holding the "main" part in a vice, heating the radius to the tab with a propane torch (I use it for plumbing around the house) until orange and then bending the tang with a pair of pliers.

This is the way to do it. If you don't get the part orange hot before bending, it will crack and eventually break off in service.

However, be very careful not to bend the tab down any where it contacts the frame. If you do, the slide release will ride too high in the frame to allow the slide to pass over the tab when it is down and you won't be able to get the slide off the frame...easily. Don't ask me how I found out. I started with a new slide release lever that was just marginal and then made it worse. Once I got the slide off and understood what I had done, I fixed it and its worked fine ever since. In IDPA ESP, of course. The stock P226 part looks very similar to the X-5 piece once heated and bent. You can't make it perfect but it is good enough.

Edited by Joe L

LOL. Well, first try was a dismal failure. I used a pencil torch to heat it up, but I don't think I got enough heat. I had it under the flame for a good 5 minutes, way beyond what I thought might be necessary, so I tried to bend it but it snapped right off. Sigh. Time to order a couple spares... at $20+ each... bleh.

Shot a match today with the newly extended slide stop (I'd say 2nd try was a charm, but this one is cracked a little bit... d'oh) and I locked the slide back prematurely at least 5 times with my grip.

I'm really annoyed with the slide stop design now. Either I can have a high grip that the slide doesn't lock back with every time, a high grip with premature lockback-ulation, or a less than high grip.

I'll still carry my SIGs, as I can modify the levers on those, but this is frustrating especially in a division that doesn't allow minor modifications. It would work fine extended with like half the tab cut off - which is what I'm going to do to my carry guns. Time to start saving for that Gen4 G34 I've been wanting!

Shot a match today with the newly extended slide stop (I'd say 2nd try was a charm, but this one is cracked a little bit... d'oh) and I locked the slide back prematurely at least 5 times with my grip.

I'm really annoyed with the slide stop design now. Either I can have a high grip that the slide doesn't lock back with every time, a high grip with premature lockback-ulation, or a less than high grip.

I'll still carry my SIGs, as I can modify the levers on those, but this is frustrating especially in a division that doesn't allow minor modifications. It would work fine extended with like half the tab cut off - which is what I'm going to do to my carry guns. Time to start saving for that Gen4 G34 I've been wanting!

Have you tried a CZ Shadow? I love SIGs, but I don't think they are quite suited for USPSA. The CZ's are a great alternative.

Haven't tried one. I would, but I've been wanting to try a lighter gun for a while now. Plus, CZs are finicky. My SIGs have had a few problems and I just don't have the patience to deal with a gun that doesn't run as close to 100% as possible. Hence... Glock.