Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Adjustble Sights for Glock

Cy Soto

Though it would be nice to have my Glock's slide machined and a Bo-Mar-style rear sight installed, I don't want to spend that much money to later find out that I don't like the resulting sight picture. Dawson offers a nice alternative in the way of this sight: http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=1710000-1093363057 but I have never seen one installed.

Does anyone here have a picture of how these look installed?

Thanks!

Cy,

I have that Sight. Dawson Part # 024-026, on a Glock 21 (see Photo). I also have Dawson Adjustable Sight, Dawson Part# 017-012 on a Glock 17. (see Photo) The 024-026 uses a .335" high front sight which I found to interfere with several holsters while the 017-012 uses a .285 front Sight which fits fine in all my holsters including the BladeTech. In retrospect I would prefer the shorter sight on both guns.

post-31731-0-61883100-1325366698_thumb.j

post-31731-0-88003600-1325366736_thumb.j

Cy,

I have that Sight. Dawson Part # 024-026, on a Glock 21 (see Photo). I also have Dawson Adjustable Sight, Dawson Part# 017-012 on a Glock 17. (see Photo) The 024-026 uses a .335" high front sight which I found to interfere with several holsters while the 017-012 uses a .285 front Sight which fits fine in all my holsters including the BladeTech. In retrospect I would prefer the shorter sight on both guns.

post-31731-0-61883100-1325366698_thumb.j

Cy - Totally agree! We had to switch sights because the front sight was huuuuge on the wifes gun with that combo. We went with the standard Dawson. If you would like a picture of the latter setup PM me and I will send you a cell phone shot.

If you want a good deal on the sight you mentioned let me know. We wont use it.

Steve

Thanks a bunch Gentlemen! I hadn't stopped to consider how a 0.335" front sight would interfere with the use of a holster... I recently installed a 0.285" (which I am going to trim down a bit) on a G34 and I noticed that it's dragging a little bit inside my Blade-Tech DOH. I don't think a 0.335" would work with that holster. I guess I am going to stick with what I already have and stop messing around with different loads.

Again, thank you very much for the information and the photos,

Cy

I use one of their giant front sights...I believe it is a .315. No issues with my Comptac holster.

I used to shoot an M&P with this .305 front, no issue with that and a Comptac either.

I think the enormous front sight is easier to pick up too.

Here's a comparison for you. The Dawson adjustable on the right is on a G35 and that has a 0.285 high front sight. The machined in Bo-Mar (Kensight) is on a G24 that has a 0.235 high front sight.

Both give a very good sight picture. You need a little extra clearance in the holster for the 0.285 high front sight height. I chose the KyTac holster years ago because it was one of few that could accept that high of a front sight.

Sights1.jpg

Sights2.jpg

• 5 months later...

I have the tall front sight from Dawson on my Glock 34. I use a Bladetech Black Ice DOH and there are no snag issues.

Edited by lrf

Ready Tactical's new 3 gun holsters fit the .285 front sight with tons of space if you need to go with a larger size. I'm considering switching to a .305 front sight for my Dawson Adjustable rears.

CM

Here's a comparison for you. The Dawson adjustable on the right is on a G35 and that has a 0.285 high front sight. The machined in Bo-Mar (Kensight) is on a G24 that has a 0.235 high front sight.

Both give a very good sight picture. You need a little extra clearance in the holster for the 0.285 high front sight height. I chose the KyTac holster years ago because it was one of few that could accept that high of a front sight.

splashdown,

The G24 with the milled in Bo-mars; They don't have a dove tail. Is the base screwed in? Very sharp looking outfit.

I got the gun used from a friend. Canyon Creek did the rear sight work. I noticed the dovetail is missing as well and it's a factory slide. I can only assume it was welded up and reshaped. I've never removed the sight so I can't speak for how it's attached, but probably drilled and tapped for two screws.

• 1 year later...

So I just put the .335 tall sights on and yeah, they're large. Anyone try cuting out the channel in a Bladetech deeper?

When ordering from Bladetech, you could request to have a taller sight channel.

I emailed blade tech and they sent me a work order number to modify my holsters woth a deeper front sight channel. Shipping back to them tomorrow and I'll report back what happens. Sounds like they've done these modifications before so I'm sure it will go well.

I will be installing my Dawson Adjustible sights just as soon as I buy a little red Locktite and an appropriate cleaning agent. The instructions look great and Dawson actually provides the necessary tools, including a plastic tipped punch. That is sweet. You can tell they actually care about doing the right thing for their customers.

I will be installing my Dawson Adjustible sights just as soon as I buy a little red Locktite and an appropriate cleaning agent. The instructions look great and Dawson actually provides the necessary tools, including a plastic tipped punch. That is sweet. You can tell they actually care about doing the right thing for their customers.

Do yourself a favor and order a tube of green loctite from dawson when you order your sight. I tried red and had the front sight come loose more than once, with the green it hasn't budged.

I installed the sights tonight. The hard part was finding the 271 Locktite (actually the equivalent.) I had to go to an auto parts store. The local hardware store had red locktite, but it wasn't the right kind of red locktite. We will see if the high temperature red recommended by Dawson is good enough. Reading Plattj1's comment got me looking at Dawson's recommendations. The most common form of Red Locktite is only rated to 300 degrees. If you look at the Dawson website it is pretty clear Dawson recommends the version of Red Locktite rated to 450 degrees as a minimum (Locktite 271). The green version is the next step up.

Until tonight I didn't know there were different versions of Locktite style adhesive within the same color. Don't turn me in to the manly man police but it pays to read instructions. Thanks Pattj1.

Edited by Bart Solo

I tried the high heat red permatex from the auto parts store, for me it did not hold. The green stuff from Dawson has worked perfectly. For whatever reason I only had this issue on my gen 4 34 with a .315 front sight. Every other gun and sight before this one has always been OK with the high heat red stuff...

I used the same high heat red permatex from the auto parts store. I am using a .300 optical front sight. It seems to be holding very well, but the test will come when I shoot it. Did you lose the little screw off the bottom of the front sight, or did it just come lose? The guy at the auto parts store said the green isn't as commonly available as it used to be.

Took my Glock with my newly installed Dawson Adjustable rear sight and the fiber optic front sight to the range tonight. My confidence improved with each shot. The sights are a giant improvement over the stock Glock sights. Target acquisition is much, much, much faster. So far they have stayed on.