Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm - 115 FMJ - Accurate #5 questions

bmgm37

So after years of not loading 9mm, I now have a beretta 92 a glock 17 and glock 26 that I need to start reloading for. I loaded up years ago a bunch of rounds using the components listed in the subject line for a AR15 9mm carbine and used a load of 6.3 gr that functioned great in the gun. I have tried this load in all 3 guns and it is obviously to light and I am getting jams and stovepipes about every 5-8 rounds and many of the brass is just clearing the ejection port. So I go to the Accurate website and download the latest manual, look up #5 with 115 FMJ and it shows a starting load of 5.4 and a max of 6.3 ??? I dig out my original Accurate loading guide Vol 1 and looking up the same load it shows starting load of 6.3 and a max of 7.0 ! Has #5 changed so much over the years that it is weaker than the old 8lb jug I have or is this the Lawyers talking. I will be working up a load for my pistols, but my original load was the starting years ago where it is now the maximum which is obviously under powered. Also if anybody has some load info to share with this combination, that would be great.

Thanks

I have a beretta 92 a glock 17 and glock 26 that I need to reload for.

I loaded up years ago a bunch of rounds used a load of 6.3 gr that functioned great in the gun.

I tried this load in all 3 guns and it is obviously too light and I am getting jams and stovepipes

I will be working up a load for my pistols,

Bmgm37, before you do anything else, invest $70 - $150 in a chronograph. Also,

watch your OAL - 6.3 gr with a 115 gr bullet will have different pressure/velocity

at different OAL's.

If your three handguns have factory springs - you might want to try lighter springs.

Good luck,

Jack

aa#5 w/115's in 9major was a favorite choice of powder/bullet combo back in the day, shooting open. I'm using it with 124 MG myself, but again, 9major shooting open

Edited by Glk21C

Use Accurate Powder's website for their loading data or email them for your particular application if you want up to date information. Last time I talked to Accurate 6.3 grains and 115 gr fmj at 1.20 is within SAAMI limits. Just watch your COAL. I use #5 a lot becuase it is, of course, very accurate and soft shooting. It is also very dense and has a fair amount of speed when it comes to the rate of burn. Although their is redundancy built in to max suggested loads, just remember that not all powders behave the same when they are pushed above SAAMI specs in 9mm. #5 will act eccentric when pressures are pushed too high. I tend to load right at or slightly above suggested loads when using #5 in the tiny 9mm case. If you want more from 9mm and want to do it safely #7 will get you there alot more easily.

Edited by 9mmMike