Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grips for Shadow custom

guard donkey

Just got the Shadow custom and couldn't be happier with the quality of the the gun. It comes the thin alum. Grips and they're just a little too thin for my bear paws. Been looking at a couple of possible replacements at the custom shop but wanted to see if anybody had any advice before just ordering and hoping. Any suggestions?

Depends on how big your hands are and how big a grip you like. I have gone back and forth between the thick Al grips loaded down with grip tape and the rubber grips. (Both sold by CZ Custom). Even with the thick Al grips I am not completely comfortable the room left for my weak hand's purchase on the grip. I like the large rubber ones for their size but wish I could grip tape the heck out of them. I have big mitts and am used to shooting a double stack so YMMV.

Here is a link to the CZ Custom shop in case you don't have it. The cool thing is at the top of the page is a list of the weights and withs of the different grips.

http://czcustom.com/CZ-75-85-TS-Grips-Aluminum-Plastic-Rubber.aspx

Hey, guys, how about the VZ Frag grips?

http://vzgrips.com/gun-grips/cz-grips-1/cz-75-1/cz75-frag

I'm undecided between the Tactical Diamonds and the Frag model, so which one do you think fits better in large hands? And which one will give a more comfortable grip in your opinion?

Thanks,

Demetrio.

Edited by Demetrio

I'm undecided between the Tactical Diamonds and the Frag model, so which one do you think fits better in large hands? And which one will give a more comfortable grip in your opinion?

Thanks,

Demetrio.

I haven't used the frags, but they don't look as aggressive as the tactical diamonds. With the tactical diamonds, I wasn't looking as much for comfort as I was for a sure-handed grip. They aren't uncomfortable, by any means. But between the grips and the grip tape on the gun, it pretty much stays put during shooting.

Thanks,

Demetrio.

A pair of the VZ Frags I had ordered just showed up today... Having owned the Tactical Diamonds I have to say I am a little disappointed in the kind of grip they offer, the Tactical Diamonds are very grippy, even more so than skateboard-tape covered AL grips, I was hoping these Frag grips would at least be on par with that, but sadly they're not. These Frags IMO are probably better for the type of guy who's looking for an upgrade in the aesthetics department as well as something thinner, but they don't really have the kind of bite that G-10 grips are known for and I'll be exchanging mine for a set of the newer Diamond Backs. The Tactical Diamonds are awesome, I'd be happy with another set of those no problem, I was just loooking to try out one of the newer VZ offerings and I flipped a coin on whether to go with the Frags or the Diamond Backs... came up wrong. Oh well, all I have to do is pay another $8 in shipping to do the exchange.

As to which is better for large hands? I'd say they're the same exact thickness so it's a wash... I have fairly large hands and I absolutely love the combo of the standard 75/85 safeties and the VZ grips (with the Shadow/SA safeties the gun seems too thin for me with the VZ's), by using both I can get a death grip on the suckers like they're in a vise.

The Frags do look cool though...

f153a290.jpg

Edited by ck1

• 2 months later...

For those that have tried the Diamond backs, how do they compare to the tactical diamond grips?

+1.

I have the AL grip tape ones right now, but they do not provide near enough grip. The gun moves around in my hand too much for me to be comfortable. Looking for something that will hold the gun still in my hands.

For those that have tried the Diamond backs, how do they compare to the tactical diamond grips?

+1.

I have the AL grip tape ones right now, but they do not provide near enough grip. The gun moves around in my hand too much for me to be comfortable. Looking for something that will hold the gun still in my hands.

Since posting that, I got the Diamond backs. If they ain't grippy enough, nothing short of grips soaked in crazy glue will be.