Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Silicon Carbide Colored Grip

jellyb

Hello All,

I have a blue STI grip, that I would like to have a sand paper kind of grip. I have been told to use skateboard tape but my hands are on the not so big side. Are people putting the silicon carbides on colored grips?

Thanks,

Jellyb

Hello All,

I have a blue STI grip, that I would like to have a sand paper kind of grip. I have been told to use skateboard tape but my hands are on the not so big side. Are people putting the silicon carbides on colored grips?

Thanks,

Jellyb

Dunno' if you can get colored grit, you may end up with a black and blue grip.

I think that is what Limcat puts on there grips maybe you can ask them.I ordered a gun from them and I think that is what there putting on mine they asked what color I wanted I'm going with black but I'm sure they have blue.

here is a thought for you my business partner and i do all of our stuff ourselves. we go to hobby lobby and by colored sand and we either brush on epoxy mix and then sprinkle sand or we have used spray epoxy. couple coats and then put thin layer of spray epoxy over to hold. let dry for couple days and you will be amazed. might feel little tacky at first but when handled a little it feels like it was made that way. we love it and i am a blue guy so witness and my rifle have blue grips. i must add that it was his idea and he is the one who really does it. i made it sound like i am that smart. lol

Edited by bigcat

You can thin the grip and then add silicon carbide such as Brownells sells (#084-206-060). After thinning clean the grip very well with alchohol and don't handle the grip where you want to add the SC because of oils from your hand. I use JB Weld which I brush on the grip and then heat with a heat gun to flow it smoothly on the grip. Pour generous amounts of the silicon carbide over the grip and SOFTLY pat it in place. Let it cure for a couple of days and you have a bullet proof grip. You can "paint" the JBW where you want the SC to be. Don't overlap it into the mainspring channel. If you do, a small file cleans up the edges.

The extra course SC provides a very nice grip. It is extra course in respect to it's blasting ability. The 6# amount will do a whole lot of grips. I use the regular JB Weld not the quick cure variety.

Grip tape is nice but the silicon carbide doesn't come off.

Pat

I also use the silcon carbide from brownells to do my grips, but use gorrilla 2 part epoxy to apply. when you get it, it is white in color. if you want to change the color, then get some of the clothing dye from your local store and mix a little bit into it till its like wet sand and then put it in a toaster oven or your wifes oven and dry it out. I haven't had it leach out to my hands, so should be good.

For the record, I saw Jim Shanahan at the SHOT show and he is doing a similar type treatment to grips and its the strongest,best looking and best feeling alox-type grip Ive ever felt. I think he has a post about it in his sponsor forum here on BE.

• 2 weeks later...