Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Miculek grip fit

bbbean

I'm going to try my hand at round gun, and got a good deal on a 610. The grips it came with didn't set me on fire, so I thought I'd try a set of Miculek grips (they'll make me shoot just like Jerry, right?). I was a little surprised at the fit, though. Is this typical, or did I just get a sloppy grip from the factory?post-14972-0-09457700-1325301564_thumb.j post-14972-0-46660600-1325301719_thumb.jpost-14972-0-81504500-1325301588_thumb.j

I'm going to try my hand at round gun, and got a good deal on a 610. The grips it came with didn't set me on fire, so I thought I'd try a set of Miculek grips (they'll make me shoot just like Jerry, right?). I was a little surprised at the fit, though. Is this typical, or did I just get a sloppy grip from the factory?post-14972-0-09457700-1325301564_thumb.j post-14972-0-46660600-1325301719_thumb.jpost-14972-0-81504500-1325301588_thumb.j

I am not sure what other people have experienced but I have never seen a wood set of grips or the slip on style that didn't fit like that. I think it has something to do with having to slide up at a radius and still clear everywhere when they tightly against the stirrup. I have a few sets of N and L frame grips and they all sit like that.

0e37550f.jpg

546987f2.jpg

Lee

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

Agreed, my JM grips on my 610 left me cut and bruised after one range session so I replace them with :

Model 500 Impact Absorbing Hogue Square Butt Conversion Grips

$36.76

Now I can shoot my 610 through an IPSC match with enhanced speed, accuracy and in comfort. I highly recommend these grips.

The beautiful wood grips that came with my wife's 627 also are uncomfortable. I'm going to try a different grip for her which I found yesterday on the Internet. I'll try a pair for my Ruger Security Six also as their original wood grips can be improved. I like the curve above the web of the hand. Apparently they are used by the police in France for their similar pistol grips.

http://www.trausch.com/images/new/pages/shashin_eng/tj95eng.htm

Edited by Brian B

Model 500 Impact Absorbing Hogue Square Butt Conversion Grips

http://www.trausch.c...eng/tj95eng.htm

You're more of a fan of finger grooves than I am, but thanks for the suggestions.

BB

I just do not see a lot of people using Miculeks at major power factor. With the .38....some. Maybe I need to get out more

Edited by underlug

Almost looks like the grip isn't seated all the way up.

If you're not happy with them, and they are made by Bang contact them, You might even talk to Jerry himself.

2 problems with the JM Grips.

1) Slickness. Jerry likes them real slick, others don't. Those of us who don't will add grip tape, checkering or bondo to reform them.

2) Pain. Even though I have work hardened hands, shooting the JM grips for extensive periods with Major PF loads will open up a split at the base of my thumb.

Many others complain of being battered.

The Hogue Grips with Finger Grooves are easlily modified with a Dremel Tool. While you're at whittling away some of us inlet the left side grip to help with ejected moonclip clearance.

The Hogue's are a bit grippier, but after handling mine for a while they seem to develop a slick feel that doesn't get in the way of a switch hands reload.

I like the feel of JM Grips, with grip tape, but can't seem to get thru even part of a season without having to tape up the thumb base.

I have a drawer full of 625 grips that don't make it for me. I finally settled on a Hogue Big Butt and added a Dr Scholl heel gripper ala the attached pics. Softens the recoil and changes the angle so the sights are nearly dead on at presentation to target. It lengthened trigger finger to trigger distance and minimizes my tugging shots to the right. I also trimmed off the left top spur to aid reloads. I have a rubber grip Big Butt modified the same for my 627 Open Steel Plate gun. :cheers:

Try the Miculeks for a while. At first, I didn't like how slick they were, and tried some other options, including the X-frame Hogue grip. Ended up going back to the Miculeks, with the only modification being a bit of reshaping on the left side to ease access to the cylinder latch and to clear loading a bit more. I left them smooth, and they give me no trouble with lots of major .45s.

I think for me the Miculek grips just came down to pain. Pressure = Force x Area. Force is a constant with the same gun and same load, but the pressure (perceived recoil) will feel twice as bad if the area that force is distributed across is cut in half. If I stomp on your head in boots, it will hurt - if I stomp on your head in high heels aside from it being really funny I am in heels you will have a hole in your skull. There are several wood grips that have a wider footprint in the web of the palm area, I think most people opt for the Hogue. Just my $.02.

Lee

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

I have a drawer full of 625 grips that don't make it for me. I finally settled on a Hogue Big Butt and added a Dr Scholl heel gripper ala the attached pics. Softens the recoil and changes the angle so the sights are nearly dead on at presentation to target. It lengthened trigger finger to trigger distance and minimizes my tugging shots to the right. I also trimmed off the left top spur to aid reloads. I have a rubber grip Big Butt modified the same for my 627 Open Steel Plate gun. :cheers:

You did the same exact thing I did. I chopped mine off on the left and thinned it some. After Area 4 I had a monster blister on the right side of my thumb close the the base. The rubber Hogues went away and I got a set of big butts. These 625s don't pound you like a full house magnum, but they aren't tame either by any means.

The Miculek grips were great when the 625 was SSR legal. When they made ESR and the higher power factor it became painful. After a couple hundred rounds of 170+ Power Factor ammo my palms get pretty sore. As much as I like the Miculek grips, I may have to try something else. I have 4 Miculek grips and they all fit like yours.

I use a set on my 610 and my 617. i have shaved the sides down a lot so it fits in my hand better. I shaved the tops down till there was not any preaser on my thumb nuckle. I like them like this a lot better now.

Jeremy Hardin

I tried Miculek grips with the first 425 I got, and decided within 50 rounds of major loads [not even factory 45s] to switch. Currently using Hogue grips with finger grips 'muted' by Mr. Dremel.

Shooting should be fun, not painful. :P

I tried Miculek grips with the first 425 I got, and decided within 50 rounds of major loads [not even factory 45s] to switch. Currently using Hogue grips with finger grips 'muted' by Mr. Dremel.

Shooting should be fun, not painful. :P

It pains me to think that I am apparently not as tough as Jerry Miculek, but I've opted for the same strategy. My Miculek grip is now in the original bag on a shelf in my shop (anyone want one?), and I have a Hogue grooveless grip on order.

BB

Just shot my 686SSR the other day and while the grip is comfy and promotes a high hold the top wings of the grip pinched the shit out of the meat between my thumb and finger when shooting. Ordered a Hogue rubber no finger grooved big butt grip. Hopefully it will help.

So I guess I'm one of the maso.... minorities that shoot major pf + miculek? :surprise: I honestly thought they'd be more popular.

Mine are exactly like pictured and I think the screw is too long also. By the end of 300 rd match it was barely hanging on it loosened so much. Doesn't matter how much I tighten either, it still wiggles and I can see the marks in the frame from the screw.

I'm curious to try big butt grips as I find the real estate for the weak hand lacking with the miculeks.

Edited by BlueOvalBandit

I've got Miculek's on my 625 and 686 and had them on my 646. Since I left the farm 40 years ago my hands aren't nearly as tough as they used to be but I don't have a problem with recoil or blisters. Since I shoot both IPSC and IDPA, I prefer the slickness of the grip so it doesn't hang up on my concealment garment. I tried Hogue and Pachmayer rubber grips but didn't care for them because they not only tended to hang up on my vest/jacket but they slowed down reacquisition of the grip after reloading.

That being said, I'm in the process of putting a 5" barrel on my 625 so it won't be IDPA street legal anymore. I may have to try a set of the Big Butts if only because I don't have a set in my grip drawer yet...

Brian,

Don't throw those X frame grips away. After a match or two with major PF loads in the 610 you may have a change of heart.

I had stock grips, 2 different sets of Hogue grips and the X frame grips on the 610. The X frame are way most comfortable.

Bill