Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

anybody here run there CZ's with iron sights?

Xander

Yup. Many of us here just use the dawson. The factory FO just gets in the way.

Yeah the FO get's in the way, sucks. Too bad I can't get my hands quickly on the plain serrated Dawsons as I am located here in Asia :(

They don't ship to Asia?

Dawson doesn't do export at all, I've experienced the same thing.......but Cajun Gunworks can help you!

Edited by pevadijk

• 1 month later...

Just curious why are these aftermarket front sight not pre drilled for a standard roll pin? Why can't it be a drop in part? Can a drilled front sight from another gun be transferred to another gun of the same type without having any issues? I ran cz75 sp-01 for production and getting a hard time setting my target acquisition with the stock white dot. Thank you for any advise.

it's a tight fitting part and it needs to be precise with a tight fitting roll pin, that is why they are not grooved for it. yes, they can be transferred so long as the rear sights are the same.

i like and recommend the CZ competition/tactical rear sight, and either the dawson plain blank front sight (what i use) or the cz custom fiber optic front sight (what many others use).

It's best to fit the sight to your gun's front dovetail.

I can imagine if it were added to the manufacturing process, it would add cost to the part and if it were off by a just a small amount it would mess up the installation process quite a bit.

I believe CZ Custom exports and their plain black tactical sport front sight just needs to be trimmed and thinned.

I started off with the f/o and thought I liked it. As my skills progressed I found myself rushing the shot just because I see the fiber and not actually lining anything up. I went with the dawson and absolutely loved it. Tried going back to the f/o thinking that maybe it was just a mental thing but it confirmed it, I like the plain black sight way better.

this was also my experience. my sights got smaller and blacker as i improved.

3 white dot > black rear large orange FO > black rear small red FO > black rear front black > black rear target thinned front black.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about this recently. I am at the point were a prefer all black iron sights... however I don't understand the skinny front sight reasoning. I have the .125" on my 75 Shadow and don't know it the thinner one will do me any good. I would think a bigger air gap would make tougher shots trickier and for close shots I can't see how it would matter... can you tell me how it helps you? I've seen people with .090" front sights and it seemed almost annoyingly small.

i run a .100" wide front sight. for me, distant targets are very small.the light around the sights help me align it while still letting me see around them. i can see brown in the case of distant targets and white for mini poppers. i don't think i'll go much smaller than that. the problem with the front sight fitting perfectly in the rear sight for me was that it was like looking over a ledge and not really being able to quickly tell if the front sight was centered just right.

I, too have a skinny front iron sight My experience with very little light bar is when calling head shots even at a close range. It seemed that i have to wait for the muzzle to settle to verify and see that light bar before breaking the next shot. Ideally, the sight goes up and down when tracked, but with different stances, grip hold, i noticed that it can go a little left or right during recoil. With the aid of light bar each side, it helps me alot. Shooting a 6inch steel at 35yds isnt fun too with fat front in my experience.

This may sound like a silly question, but for those who run Dawsons on their 75Bs, how did you get them?

I can find only front sights for the Shadow. I called them asking about sights for a 75B, and they will custom build a front sight only for a premium if I ship my pistol to them, then there's a 4-6 week wait and return FedEx/UPS shipping fees.

I'm currently using LPA sights (the only adjustable ones I can find for the 75B ), and I'm not finding the sight picture crisp enough for me (the front sight is not serrated and has rounded-off edges).

Any help in this would be much appreciated!

Edited by William Ching

When I called, I asked about sending in measurements for a custom front sight.

The person I talked to told me that giving them specs was not an option at all and wanted me to ship the entire pistol to them - that was the only possibility.

That's why I'm trying to find out if others have had more luck or other options.

Thanks!

Talk to them on the phone. They will tell you how to measure your front sight so that they can make a new front sight for you.

Edited by William Ching

I asked about shipping just the slide, and she said 'nope.' They want to fire the pistol to zero the sights.

I asked, 'So my only option for getting a custom front sight made is shipping the whole pistol?' She said 'Yes.'

Very frustrating, since I live in an area where shipping firearms is a bureaucratic nightmare.

I agree with you - I've also heard similar things to what you're reporting about interactions with them, which is why I was rather confused (and a bit stunned) after my conversation.

sounds opposite of some experiences i've heard of. i've been told that interfacing with them, they'll say "we can make anything." also, shipping a slide in by itself should be fine, for them to measure it themselves. not the entire pistol.

Edited by William Ching

i run a .100" wide front sight. for me, distant targets are very small.the light around the sights help me align it while still letting me see around them. i can see brown in the case of distant targets and white for mini poppers. i don't think i'll go much smaller than that. the problem with the front sight fitting perfectly in the rear sight for me was that it was like looking over a ledge and not really being able to quickly tell if the front sight was centered just right.

I, too have a skinny front iron sight My experience with very little light bar is when calling head shots even at a close range. It seemed that i have to wait for the muzzle to settle to verify and see that light bar before breaking the next shot. Ideally, the sight goes up and down when tracked, but with different stances, grip hold, i noticed that it can go a little left or right during recoil. With the aid of light bar each side, it helps me alot. Shooting a 6inch steel at 35yds isnt fun too with fat front in my experience.

I think I understand what you guys are saying. But even with the .125" front sight there is an air gap that seems to be easy to recognize. Now I guess there are targets that occasionally would be almost entirely covered by a wide front sight.... but with a thin one- it's easy to cover the target with the sight... but now the balancing of the air gap is crucial. I guess I might have to try it because it seems like there are many people that use the .100 or even .090. Just a little PITA to swap out easily... unlike the Glock. rolleyes.gif