Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are the benefits of shooting moly Bullets

mioduz

I am new to loading .40. Just got my first limited gun. Cant decide where to start a load. What are the advantages of shooting a molly coated bullet instead of FMJ or HP. Other than cost of course. Will the gun recoil differently based on the fact it takes less of a powder charge?

I have used Precision Black Bullets - David Long - for years in all of my handguns. Smoke less than lead and are far far cleaner...

If you are shooting lead I would start with the same charge. If shooting jacketed bullets drop about .2 or .3 would be a good guess.

As everyone will end up telling you. Get a GOOD reloading manual or two and pay attention.

The reloading section here on the BE Forums has a lot of good info from some experienced re loaders. Spend a couple of hours searching the reloading area and you will know a lot before you even try moly...

Just my .02. YMMV and yada yada yada...cool.gif

I've found the barrel has a lot to do with whether a moly bullet is better than a jacketed/plated one and the individual brand of moly bullets has an effect. The brand of powder also has effect if it burns too hotly or creats too much smoke. Some say the benefit is less cost for me it was a detraction in more and harder cleaning. I would rather pay a penny a round more and clean every 1000 rounds than save a penny and spend twice the time every 500 rounds.

YMMV but I shoot a Glock.

cheaper than jacketed....and a little less smoke than lead. My load development with moly was same as lead...powder charge wise.

Which moly bullet are you using? Thanks.

Precision Bullets

Edit to add:

And if you shoot a stainless steel barrel like Lone Wolf, etc, then a 50/50 solution of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide works great to clean out the bore of any moly buildup. There's a FAQ page on Precision that explains it.

Edited by Mark R