Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have never shot USPSA before. Would like advice

jn618

Hey folks,

I am new to this forum, but I have found some great advice. What I would like is anyones opnion on my scenario and the obligatory "what would you do" answer. The more feedback the better.

Here is my situation: I have been putting away a bit of cash for a future in competition shooting. I have been carring a Kimber Compact CDP (4" barrel with an officer grip and night sights) for over a year now. My plan was to pick up a Glock 17, mags, and holster and go into production class. I would also like to upgrade to a progressive press from a turret press at some point.

Here are my questions

1. Should I go ahead and get the Glock set up (I like the Glock and have not shot an m&p or xd)?

2. Should I shoot the 1911 with 8 rd mags and go for the press (I love reloading, but time is limited and I really want the Hornady AP)?

3. If I shoot the 1911, should I change the sights. Not really a deal breaker because my dad wants to upgrade his Kimber sights and I'm sure he would just get me a decent set in return.

4. Or if any of you guys have any better ideas feel free to put it out there or ask me questions in return. Money is only limited to the time it takes to save it, so I am pretty flexible.

Thanks for any advice. When I started shooting trap, forums really helped me get squared away.

John

Play with what you have now in single stack, learn the game and then deciede where you want to go concerning gun type\devision. Spend what you have now on the press and reloading supplies, then practice.

MDA

Play with what you have now in single stack, learn the game and then decide where you want to go concerning gun type\division. Spend what you have now on the press and reloading supplies, then practice.

MDA

+1. Best advice. Don't save to get into the game - GET INTO THE GAME.

Start shooting (you'll need lots of ammo, which means you'll need a

reloader). You have the gun - shoot it !!!

I would not be able to go from a 1911 format Kimber to a Glock in

competition - If I carried a 1911, I'd shoot a gun with a single

action trigger pull in competition.

Have fun, enjoy, and practice with YOUR Kimber, not a double action

trigger.

Jack

Ditto the above and if you want to buy something later, get a full-size 1911 and shoot either SS or L10 with it.

Plenty of time to join the Gun of the Month Club later.

Get the press. Our host here had excellent deals on Dillon and Dillon is really excellent equipment.

before you splurge your money on a reloading press, you should see what or if you can get primers on a consistent basis cheaply enough. And by cheaply enough I mean under $30 per brick of 1,000. It would be nice if you could get them closer to $25 or $22 a thousand. Primers are like the lynch pin in the whole reloading process. Of course if you shoot a bunch of trap, and reload your hulls for that, probably wherever you're getting your 209 primers will probably be the same place you will be getting your Large Pistol or Small Pistol primers.

before you buy the Glock, whether it be the 17 or the 34 or the 35, I would seriously recommend shooting them first. I have fat meatey hands so a Glock in .40 cal cuts my hand open. A Glock 17 just leaves oil tracks on my hand.

Besides that, having a lot of time behind a 1911, and trying to shoot a Glock and get some sembleance of a sight picture is...just....weird.

I agree with the others, shoot what you have! You will have time to check out what other people are shooting at matches, and that will influence future purchases. A 1911 lets you compete in Single Stack, and you can buy several 10 round mags to compete in Limited 10. If this platform fits you, then eventually you could look towards a 2011 STI/SVI to compete in Limited.

If you are looking into getting a press, I just saw that the Dillon price increase rolls ahead today at 3pm on Brian's store, so order FAST to save between 2% and 5%. There is no better place to buy a reloader than from Brian... You will get great customer service, and he will help you though every step if you ask....

edited to add: I shoot Glocks in Production, Limited and L10. I run fiber optic fronts. I obviously use a 1911 to compete in Single stack, and that gun has night sight on it. If you plan on keeping your Kimber as a concealed carry gun, leave the night sights on...

Edited by HS101

As everybody said, get out and shoot your Kimber, make friends at the range. I'll bet, when you let them know you are just starting, you get more advice than you want :) and if you were in my area (you don't say), I'd be more than happy to let you shoot any of my guns. I wouldn't even buy a reloader just yet, you might decide you don't like the game.

I started two years ago shooting different pistol competitions using a full size Kimber. I realized that I needed to upgrade my reloading equipment to keep up and bought a LNL. Last year I started shooting SS in USPSA. The club I shoot at has about 50 shooters per match and around 30 shoot Limited. I wanted to compete against the majority of the shooters but wanted to keep my options open to be able to switch divisions. I went out and bought a Glock 35. I shoot limited but also have the option to shoot production. If I really wanted I could buy an open kit for it.

So for me it went:

1. shoot what I had

2. upgrade reloading equipment

3. change guns

I only thing I regret is that I put off buying the progressive till after the first shooting season.

Awesome advice. This is exactly the feedback I was looking for. The post on "intro to USPSA" was perfect. More questions:

1. How many mags do I need? Where the best place to purchase them?

2. What are some affordable holsters and mag holders and again where's the best place to purchase those as well?

This post has cleared up some questions I have had for quite a while and I'm much appreciative. By the way, I live in the Tri Cities area of Washington if any of you are near by and happen to know of stores for supplies and/or have a goods to sell.

John

aren't the Power Factor Show guys from Washington state?

if you haven't seen their shows yet just go to YouTube and punch in "power factor show" in the search window. they have their own YouTube channel and have over 50 "webisodes" uploaded.

Awesome advice. This is exactly the feedback I was looking for. The post on "intro to USPSA" was perfect. More questions:

1. How many mags do I need? Where the best place to purchase them?

2. What are some affordable holsters and mag holders and again where's the best place to purchase those as well?

This post has cleared up some questions I have had for quite a while and I'm much appreciative. By the way, I live in the Tri Cities area of Washington if any of you are near by and happen to know of stores for supplies and/or have a goods to sell.

John

John,

if you're going to pursue SS, I'd say you need 6 8 round mags at a minimum, and six on the belt, one in the gun would be better.....

Why so many, when most stages are limited to 32? Two reasons: Steel, and if the stage is well designed, it won't consist of four 8 round positions -- so you might fire 2-4 rounds, and reload while moving to the next position, to avoid a standing reload....

Affordable is relative of course for holsters/pouches. Blade-Tech, Ready Tactical and Comp-Tac all make good gear. Fobus and Uncle Mike's make very affordable gear....

If it were me -- I'd buy a quality holster, and 2-4 quality mag pouches. Then I'd buy 1-2 Fobus or Uncle Mikes double mag pouches, to run on the rear of the belt to get you up to holding 6 mags on the belt.....

The high quality pouches will allow for adjustable tension and the quickest reloads on classifiers, short courses, and for the first few reloads on long courses....

The last couple of mags you'll use less frequently, so that's where the cheaper pouches come into play....

I'd run the gun you currently own -- for a while. At least until you know if this game is for you for the long haul. That'll also give you an idea which divisions are popular in your area, which friends you might compete against, and allow you to try out other's gear, to help you decide what to buy.....

If you decide the game is not for you, at least all you will have bought is ancillary gear, not a whole second blaster and gear....

aren't the Power Factor Show guys from Washington state?

if you haven't seen their shows yet just go to YouTube and punch in "power factor show" in the search window. they have their own YouTube channel and have over 50 "webisodes" uploaded.

Or go to powerfactorshow.com

• 3 weeks later...

I started shooting that exact same pistol. It didnt take me too long to get a "game gun". The 4'' barrel makes long shots tough. Regardless it was what i had at the time and it got me started. I ran a fobus holster and two leather safariland double mag pouches. Usually threw an extra mag in my back pocket. That set up worked pretty well for me. Ask around your club people almost alway have old/extra gear laying around. Good luck, have fun.

John,

You have a great club that shoots year around very close. http://www.ewpsa.org/ Eastern Washington Practical Shooters Association. I shoot there, and I am sure there are a few more of us on this board. You needed to come to the last match (didn't see a John on the list).

You have some very good stores in the area, but you have to sort through the merchandise. The Blade Tech holsters (out of Puyallup, WA) are great for Matches. Check out their web site.

As someone else stated Shooters Connection is a class A1 outfit to deal with. They carry stuff that works.

Two Brothers in West Richland has some good leather and carries good magazines. They also have other quality gear.

Ranch and home has stuff from everyone, some of it good, some to avoid for sport purposes. Good place to buy bulk ammo.

Warehouse Sports is not bad for some items.

You can't forget Hole in the wall.

Best gear advice, don't spend $20.00 two or three times on a crappy holster and belt, get good stuff.

You have an AWESOME educational opportunity there. Take a class from Practical Edge Shooting http://www.practicaledgeshooting.com/ . They are great guys and can get you headed in the right direction.

Come shoot with the gun you have, the gear to get started can be expensive too.

PM me if you want anything.

Gene

Edited by Wild Gene