Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 as bday present

My wonderful hubby is getting me a 1050 for my bday. I currently have a 550. I'm jumping into doing more 3Gun next year so here is my thinking for the 1050. I'm going to set it up for .40 as that is what I'll shoot all my IPSC matches with and I'll use the 550 for .223 as I'll only be loading the "precision" rounds on it. The 55gr's needed for CQB stages I can get for cheap so I don't know there is a point to loading them on the 1050.

HOWEVER, since I have all the pistol caliber dyes I'd ever want to load, I was thinking of getting the .223 dies with the 1050 and then dropping the .40 dies into the toolhead ...Or can I not do that? IOW, can I use the tool head that comes with the .223 dies and put my .40 dies into it? And secondly, can I take the .223 dies and throw them on a 550 toolhead? Yeah, I could probably RTFM to get an answer but I figure someone on here already knows and will tell me straight... ;)

Thanks!

Edited by carinab

My wonderful hubby is getting me a 1050 for my bday. I currently have a 550. I'm jumping into doing more 3Gun next year so here is my thinking for the 1050. I'm going to set it up for .40 as that is what I'll shoot all my IPSC matches with and I'll use the 550 for .223 as I'll only be loading the "precision" rounds on it. The 55gr's needed for CQB stages I can get for cheap so I don't know there is a point to loading them on the 1050.

HOWEVER, since I have all the pistol caliber dyes I'd ever want to load, I was thinking of getting the .223 dies with the 1050 and then dropping the .40 dies into the toolhead ...Or can I not do that? IOW, can I use the tool head that comes with the .223 dies and put my .40 dies into it? And secondly, can I take the .223 dies and throw them on a 550 toolhead? Yeah, I could probably RTFM to get an answer but I figure someone on here already knows and will tell me straight... ;)

Thanks!

What you want to do with the dies and toolhead is fine, but there are other parts involved in converting a 1050. Off the top of my head, a shellholder, locator buttons, and the casefeed plunger. There's a section in the manual where you can figure which of these are common between calibers. The easiest thing to do is probably to ask Brian when you order it.

If you are going to load .40 on the 1050 then order it in .40.

Like jar said, there are the other things that go with a caliber change on a 1050 (shell plate, buttons etc.).

You can always sell the old or new .40 dies or trade for .223 dies. Dies for 550 and 1050 are the same and the 1050 has the primer swage thing going for it but sounds like you won't need it.

My 1050 is set up for .40 and .38SC and looks like I have to get one for 9mm. I'll get the entire caliber conversion set up (tool head and shell plate). Switching out dies is a pain.

You'll love the 1050 once you have it set up and running. I tried to run it with everything it came with but finally took off the ratchet mechanism like almost everyone with a 1050 has done.

My better half bought me my 1050 for my birthday too.

When you order a Super 1050, you specify what caliber you want it set up for, and the dies come installed in the machine. Unfortunately, you cannot order the machine in one caliber and get it with dies for a different caliber.

The dies are the same thread, so they fit the 550B, XL650 as well as the Super 1050.