Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited rules changes for 2013

BlueOvalBruin

Just curious: what makes 9mm Major safe for open, but unsafe for Limited?

Because for the most part, you can't go to some gun store and buy an off the shelf open gun that *isnt* capable of shooting 9 major. The open guns are designed to shoot 9 major without issues, where there are many off the shelf guns that would work in limited that *can't* or shouldn't shoot 9 major. IMO, 9 major in limited would be a safety issue. One of the nice things about having 9 minor in limited is the fact that you get extra capacity, as well as less recoil. If 9 were allowed in limited as major, there would really not be any advantages to shooting minor at all. No one really shoots minor in open because it is not advantageous.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because for the most part, you can't go to some gun store and buy an off the shelf open gun that *isnt* capable of shooting 9 major. The open guns are designed to shoot 9 major without issues, where there are many off the shelf guns that would work in limited that *can't* or shouldn't shoot 9 major. IMO, 9 major in limited would be a safety issue. One of the nice things about having 9 minor in limited is the fact that you get extra capacity, as well as less recoil. If 9 were allowed in limited as major, there would really not be any advantages to shooting minor at all. No one really shoots minor in open because it is not advantageous.

So 9 Major isn't safe, but .38 super is sold commercially and off the shelf guns are sold to shoot this. So why not accept .38 super as major in Limited?

To me, it all comes down to the arms race that will ensue as pointed out earlier in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

So 9 Major isn't safe, but .38 super is sold commercially and off the shelf guns are sold to shoot this. So why not accept .38 super as major in Limited?

To me, it all comes down to the arms race that will ensue as pointed out earlier in this thread.

Most 38super ammo (even a lot of +p) off the shelf doesn't make major power factor

• 3 weeks later...

Coming soon to a match near you:

I was wondering when the 8" Hardballer would come out of hiding on this thread cheers.gif

Don't see that one as an advantage. But I would be curious to see something similar to the Hogue Avenger with a longer barrel. The reciprocating mass could be kept to a minimum and with a fixed barrel you don't have to worry about the added weight slowing stuff down. Say a 8-9" barrel with the increase in sight radius but you wouldn't need to increase the weight anywhere near as much as you would with a conventional slide. Hmm, what did I do with Hogue's phone number.

Personally I am against thumb rests in limited. why ruin a good thing?

I don't care if someone puts a thumb rest on their Limited just as I don't care if they put one on their Open gun. I don't use one on my Open gun either.

• 9 months later...

I don't see an updated rule book on USPSA's web-site... I thought there would be one as the new rules should now be in effect. There were a couple of .png images on the opening posts in this topic, not sure if there have been any other changes since then though.

Im sitting on a limited gun with a thumb rest. so where do I point the people who ask, show me wheres the proof you can run in limited ?

Currently it's a prohibited modification. I would suspect that once the new rules are published the lack of such prohibition should be all the proof required, or perhaps they will add a note to the effect that the prohibition has been removed. We won't know for sure until the rule-book is published.

The rule was voted on on 2011 to go into effect in January. The rule was posted in the BOD meeting minutes and in Front Sight. It is in effect now. I don't really know where the questions about this are coming from. We don't publish a new rule book every time a rule is changed. If someone needs verification point them to the Dec, 2011 BOD minutes that show the revised Appendices for Lim and Lim 10. To Robbie, yeah have at it with barrel weights, thumb rests, whatever. Basically no ports/comps, no optics and a 141.25mm restriction on mags.

The rule was voted on on 2011 to go into effect in January. The rule was posted in the BOD meeting minutes and in Front Sight. It is in effect now. I don't really know where the questions about this are coming from. We don't publish a new rule book every time a rule is changed. If someone needs verification point them to the Dec, 2011 BOD minutes that show the revised Appendices for Lim and Lim 10. To Robbie, yeah have at it with barrel weights, thumb rests, whatever. Basically no ports/comps, no optics and a 141.25mm restriction on mags.

Chuck,

Really? I now have three places to look for rules? Could we please get a consistent and numbered in rulebook order set of interpretations/changes/amendments as single documents for pistol/shotgun/rifle/3gun/multigun on the website? I get that it might be tedious for DNROI to compile that, but once compiled it should be an easy document to amend when new interpretations are issued.

That would at least get ROs down to having only two documents to maintain -- the latest published rulebook, and one other document that could be downloaded and printed whenever it changes....