Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

improving in iron sights divisions by shooting open?

digby7

a local master level shooter recommended this to me and I gave it a try. Shot open for about 3-4 months, putting 6k down range through practice and matches, great hits in open, then switched back to limited and am getting much worse hits getting used to the front sight again. Hits are getting better with 3k down range just on iron sights again.

Wondering what you guys think about this mentality and if shooting open for long enough will make me a better and faster limited shooter or if I should just stick to one gun(limited) and shoot the blue off it?

I too shot Open for half a season. Helped me in my movement. I used to stand stationary, shot one array, no in and out plan. Just go in there shoot the targets then go to the next.

Also, open division opened my eyes to target acquisition. Now, im shooting production. FUN!!

Shot open for 4 months, putting 6k down range, great hits in open, then switched back to limited and much worse hits getting used to the front sight again. Hits are getting better with 3k down range just on iron sights again.

Probably depends on you. I've noticed I'm faster with limited now that I've

shot Open. A GM recommended that to me also.

I know an A shooter (probably shoots like a Master) who told me with 15 minutes

practice he can convert from Open to Limited, or back. It would take me more

like 3-4 hours practice to be able to do that.

Depends on how quickly YOU adjust. What level are you in limited/open? Depends

on how much practice time you get - some people can put 3,000 rounds down range in

1-2 weeks - other people take a year to shoot that much.

Jack

Shot open for 4 months, putting 6k down range, great hits in open, then switched back to limited and much worse hits getting used to the front sight again. Hits are getting better with 3k down range just on iron sights again.

Probably depends on you. I've noticed I'm faster with limited now that I've

shot Open. A GM recommended that to me also.

I know an A shooter (probably shoots like a Master) who told me with 15 minutes

practice he can convert from Open to Limited, or back. It would take me more

like 3-4 hours practice to be able to do that.

Depends on how quickly YOU adjust. What level are you in limited/open? Depends

on how much practice time you get - some people can put 3,000 rounds down range in

1-2 weeks - other people take a year to shoot that much.

Jack

just missed making A in open(74.2%) minor and currently unclassified in Limited. I think it takes me a few hundred rounds to get pretty comfortable with the guns going back and forth, not dropping points at 15-20 yards+ is probably a different story going back to iron sights.

I think ive gotten a bit faster at initial acquisition as well as getting a better sense of seeing what I actually need to see, not sure how to measure that improvement wise as previous to open I shot singlestack.

Both sighting systems teach you different things - in Open, it's all about learning to shoot a moving sight picture and utilizing target focus. It's also easier to track sights during your own movement, so as has been pointed out, it can be a good way to really learn about entry, exit, shoot on the move, etc - also, because you're spending few cycles on sight alignment, etc, you have more time to spend on those things mid-stage. It also teaches you about pushing hard on the non-shooting things. Learning to call shots accurately tends to be easier to learn in Open, too. Finally, Open will tend to improve your general shooting platform (grip, stance) because the only way you find the dot the first time is through consistent grip and stance.

Irons, on the other hand, teach you more about visual patience, and seeing exactly what you need to see to make the shot at hand, and utilizing sight focus most of the time (which you never do in Open).

It sounds like you developed some bad habits shooting Open, and you've carried them back over to the iron sight gun - and now you have to learn the things the iron sight gun will teach you. You are likely rushing the shooting, and are quite possibly shooting with a target focus only. You may not be establishing what you need to see on each shot to hit the target. Those are good things to have for Open, too, of course - but the Open gun tends to let us get away with missing some of those things for a long time before they start biting us... Irons, not so much...

I'm one of those that can switch back and forth quickly between the two systems - but I do have to spend a couple hundred rounds on an iron sight gun on various target presentations before I can operate it competently (need to know where it hits, get used to the sight movement, etc), FWIW...

I suggest you read Xre post at least three times. His observations are way ahead of his years

There is a very big difference is being a "Better Shooter" and placing higher in class or placement at a match.

I am part of a very short list of shooters that compete at several different games. I know that I am a good shooter, At most games I will never be a Top Shooter, But I have over come many faults.

Here is the only thing you should take away from what I have to say. ( When I stop learning something from a different style of gun ) , I will have to consider not shooting at all.

Edited by AlamoShooter

I suggest you read Xre post at least three times. His observations are way ahead of his years

I don't know about that, but... cheers.gif

There is a very big difference is being a "Better Shooter" and placing higher in class or placement at a match.

This is also a very true statement... ;)

FWTW ... I'm no expert for sure but I was recently talking with Mike Seeklander about this very subject (I'm hosting him at my local club for his competitive handgun training course) and he said that in every case where he's seen someone try this they end up no better off & usually take some steps backwards ... his advice; pick a divison and buy lots of ammo to practice with ...

I have been tempted from time to time to put an optic on my limited gun to better learn smooth trigger slapping and recoil management. It is much easier to track the dot and see how small changes in grip pressures and such effect it's path in rapid fire. I would then like to take what I've learned from that and apply it to help make my iron sights return to perfect alignment as quick as is possible with that gun.

It sounds like you developed some bad habits shooting Open, and you've carried them back over to the iron sight gun - and now you have to learn the things the iron sight gun will teach you. You are likely rushing the shooting, and are quite possibly shooting with a target focus only. You may not be establishing what you need to see on each shot to hit the target.

i think you may have nailed it on the head with that. my points have been worse in general since switching back to irons from the dot.