Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 powder funnel-brass sticking

I know its been covered a few times and when i searched i came up with 5 threads that really dont address the cure to the problem.

While reloading .40 on my 650, (using a u-die as well). My brass (extremely clean - stainless wet tumbled) sticks so bad on my powder die.. I mean it sticks really bad, to the point that my right arm is tired after 100 rounds. I case lube with hornady 1-shot, but still no fixey..

My brass is all mixed range brass, like i say resized with a u-die, cleaned and lubed. My bell is just enough to set the bullet in as well.

I read threads where people have sent there powder funnel off to starline and they take a couple thousandths off. Anyone else have this problem to the extreme?

Polish it with a felt tip on a dremel using some metal polish of some sort. Polish it up until it's mirror smooth. The U-die is exacerbating the problem, but you should be able to fix it by polishing. If that doesn't work, then think about having the funnel turned down - or possibly replaced by Dillon (it might be oversized).

The uber-cleanliness is the problem. The residual carbon on the side of the case mouth acts as a lube. The cases are galling on the funnel. It helps to wipe off the funnel with steel wool or green scotchbrite pad every 25-35 cases, but won't go away.

Did you notice it was any better or worse with any particular brand of brass. As I have said before I find FC and CCI/Speer brass to have slightly thinner walls. This is why I went to the Udie myself because I was getting setback with these two brands. But on the plus side they hardly stick at all on the funnel. Try it for yourself and see. I recently depleted my FC stash and am now loading RP and it sticks much worse than the FC was.

So it seems the answer might be to turn the funnel down just barely.

For the record I tried the 1050 powder funnel which does not have an expander, it is literally a funnel that flares the case only. It smooth the press out immeasurably but it also lead to some bullets being seated off center. So it seems milling the stock funnel might be a better option.