Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

For the J-frame crowd

Flexmoney

How many for you Flex?

Lets see... I've had mine about a year, but didn't mess around with it much until spring or so (it had a barrel that was off a bit, sent back to S&W).

A have a few good range sessions on it, a few more shorter sessions and 3 Steel Challenge matches.

Probably around 800 rounds or so.

Less than a box. Just messin' around.

I used to shoot it in the bug events when I went to IDPA matches.

Then I got to running around with a bad crowd and haven't been to any of those lately. :D

Maybe next season I will make it to one of those j-frame challenges.

They are good fun...and enlightening.

cheers.gif

Update to post #96. Went to Wally World and picked up 50rds Federal 158gr LRN, 100rds of WWB 130gr JFP, 50rnds Win +P 125gr JHP. I shot up everything except for 10rnds of the +P stuff.

10 rounds over the chrono @ 10ft, 40 degrees F, 15y from IDPA target:

Fed 158gr: Avg 648fps, ES 29, SD 9, Avg PF=102 (Shot high. Got a little faster with each shot - slowed with the reload - then faster)

Win 130gr: Avg 700fps, ES 64, SD 23, PF=91 (Shot closest to POA, best "group" freehand @ 15y)

Win 124gr: Avg 877fps, ES 28, SD 8, PF=109 (Shot high left, outside of -0, nothing close to a group. One shot was was -100+fps from every other shot so that was deleted but good to note. No key holing observed but something isn't right with this load/gun combo )

I had no problem keeping 5 shots in the -0 zone from 15 yards with the 130gr WWB load. I shot most of of my ammo up on a plate rack at 10y. It was quite fun. Way more enjoyable than my LCP with similar PF loads. I then switched back to my CZ 75 Shadow, <2lb SAO trigger. Shooting 135pf 9mm loads felt like I was shooting a pop gun... once I found my sights.

Do you guys have a plinker J Frame load?

Edited by blind bat

Blind Bat: the classic .38 special target load is a 148 grain lead hollowbase wadcutter (HBWC) loaded over any one of the following powders:

2.7 grains Bullseye

3.2 grains WW 231

2.5 grains Clays

Out of my 2" J frames, these loads produce between 640 to 670FPS

As a plinker load, these work well.

As always, YMMV.

Maybe about 600 total a year from a 442. 100 of those being at a "500" PPC Match, between a handful of us that have 5-shot wheel guns and are ok with loading using speed strips. The next 150~200, are just trigger time and carry load testing. The rest was drawing from the carry holster and shooting on the move from inside 21ft.

Plinker load; 2.5gr of WST or 2.3gr of S1K behind a 148gr HGLWC

Edited by howie feltersnatch

On my 642, less than 100 rounds and 0 in competition. But then I don't carry it anymore -- I've replaced it with a Kahr PM9.

My 317 and 60 just got their annual cleaning, but they haven't made it out of the safe except for that.

From my 360:

300 - 350 +P 125 grain JHP reloads (my practice load).

20 of the Speer 135 grain +P short barrel (my carry load).

10 Remington 125 grain SJHP .357 mags (my remind myself why I don't carry mags in my 11.4 ounce pistol load).

None of them under a timer.

Edited by imashooter2

How many rounds have you put through your J-frame(s) in the past year.

How many under the clock?

Less than 50 rounds per year, none on the clock, or under it. I carry it in a vest and forget I have it on most of the time.

I have a 37-2 That is with me all the time.

I shot mine in the local IDPA matches from time to time. I would have to say about 200 off clock and 500 on clock. I dont just use it for the bug stages. Its used for the whole match. lets just say some of the bottom feeders dont like it. I tell them I can get its bigger brother out and play too (610-2) with real 10mm ammo

Jeremy Hardin