Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old Blackpowder Shotgun ID

A buddy brought me a shotgun to help him identify. It belonged to his father at the least and was in his 95 y/o mothers attic.

Does anyone know what it might be or know of any resources to ID it?

I don't know shotguns but he knows even less.

Here's what I can describe.

Blackpowder.

NO MARKINGS anywhere I could find.

Side by side

Double trigger

Exposed hammers.

Has corroded nipples.

The barrels appear to be a twist.

Has two lugs/tabs on each side of the foregrip.

He also brought a .22 rifle that we determined was a Mossberg model 51M. Since the rifle had a .22 blank stuck in the chamber that he was unaware of, I suggested he take the shotgun to a local smith/gunshop to help with identification and to see it was LOADED. I was able to get the .22 unloaded and made safe.

Paul,

Quick check on the BP shotgun. I am assuming from your description that it is a muzzle loader with ramrod. Remove the ramrod and run it down the barrel. Mark the ramrod at the muzzle and remove. Now place it along the barrel and see where the seating button rests in relation to the breech. If it is within 1/2" of the nipple, then that barrel is probably unloaded. Repeat for the other barrel. We have seen many antiques like this come into our Historical Arms Collectors meetings that have had charges in them and when we get the powder out, it will still ignite :surprise: Most definitely have a 'smith check it over. Also look for your local Muzzle loading club and Historical Arms Collectors club for additional help on the I.D.

Good luck and let us know if you find any more info.

Paul,

Quick check on the BP shotgun. I am assuming from your description that it is a muzzle loader with ramrod. Remove the ramrod and run it down the barrel. Mark the ramrod at the muzzle and remove. Now place it along the barrel and see where the seating button rests in relation to the breech. If it is within 1/2" of the nipple, then that barrel is probably unloaded. Repeat for the other barrel. We have seen many antiques like this come into our Historical Arms Collectors meetings that have had charges in them and when we get the powder out, it will still ignite :surprise: Most definitely have a 'smith check it over. Also look for your local Muzzle loading club and Historical Arms Collectors club for additional help on the I.D.

Good luck and let us know if you find any more info.

Thanks! It does have the ramrod. I passed your tip on to him. He's going to have it checked out after the holidays.

:cheers: