Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1-4x TR24 with Fixed Front Sight?

Trvlngnrs

Currently I have an Aimpoint H-1 on my M&P 15. I've always liked the Accupoint TR24 and am considering making a switch. My concern is the fixed front sight getting in the view. I believe LaRue makes a cantilever mount that is 1.93" high, so this may help get the sight out of the way some.

Have any of you looked thru a 1-4 power scope with the fixed front sight? Can you give me your opinions. concerns or tips?

Thanks!!

Trvlngnrs

065.JPG

I had my TR 24 set up like that for all of about 10 minutes. Then I realized I would get much better accuracy by floating a tube and cutting the front sight off (so I could reach way out there).

Went from timing out on a stage with 8" plates @ 200 yards to ringing them 1 for 1 without any practice. It must be the scope!

I just took a Dremel and chopped off my front sight. Later got a JP adjustable block and put a YHM folding front sight on it. Only time I have used the irons is to zero them, but at least I know they work.

Doug

I've thought of getting rid of the front sight. I hadn't thought of just cutting it off! I figured I had to get a gas block etc.

If I cut it off, can I get a free float handguard to cover what's left of the front sight? If yes, which do you recommend?

Trvlngnrs

I've thought of getting rid of the front sight. I hadn't thought of just cutting it off! I figured I had to get a gas block etc.

If I cut it off, can I get a free float handguard to cover what's left of the front sight? If yes, which do you recommend?

Trvlngnrs

A friend of mine did that very thing just the other day, with this handguard (I think):

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1413336321/dpms-free-float-tube-handguard-ar-15-carbon-fiber-black

BBQ grill paint works great for finishing the gas block once you're done hacking on it.

Trvlngnrs

A friend of mine did that very thing just the other day, with this handguard (I think):

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1413336321/dpms-free-float-tube-handguard-ar-15-carbon-fiber-black

BBQ grill paint works great for finishing the gas block once you're done hacking on it.

I did the very same thing on one of my early builds. One word of caution if you want to use the DPMS carbon fiber tube. It comes with a replacement barrel nut and the carbon fiber tube glues onto the nut after you install it. Since you are covering up your carbine length gas system with the longer tube, it will be a one time deal as you will not have any way of removing the gas tube. You can drill a small hole in the tube to access the gas tube roll pin, but it is a PITA that way.

I overcame it by drilling and tapping the barrel nut and using 4 screws to hold the tube to the barrel nut. I used large headed 8-32 and they have a lot of surface to hold onto the carbon tube. No glue is used and I can pull the tube off of the nut whenever I want to.

I'm running a TR-24 & I love it. I can't comment on the front sight post since I don't have one but in regards to the mount height it really depends on your shooting posture & physical ergonomics. I have & would prefer the 1.5" over the 1.93". Cheek weld would be my main concern with a higher mount, especially in low kneeling or prone positions. If I had a mount that was almost 1/2" taller, it would be detrimental for me in the way that I wouldn't be able to get a firm & consistent cheek weld in all positions which can translate to an inconsistent sight picture

• 3 years later...

I'm horrified at the idea of cutting of my front sight post. I wish to leave my rifle stock(except for the KAC M5 RAS I'm getting ready to order.)

I have a Colt AR15A4 that I bought November 14, 2014 from Tombstone Tactical.

I am looking at getting a Trijicon Accupoint TR25.

I want it to clear the front sight post. What mount should I use to clear the front sight post?

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by DigitusSecundus