Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SS holster offset legal yet?

Slabbie Shooter

Check the rulebook's Appendix D5 for details, but in summary, for Single Stack, the front strap of the gun must be above the top of the belt, the body side surface of the gun may not be offset more than 2" away from the inner surface of your belt, and race type holsters are not allowed.

I'm coming back from a few years away from the sport, and I wonder if the Single Stack holsters are allowed an offset, like Production. I read on the USPSA site that Production rules apply to SS1911, but wanted to be sure before I spend money :)

Thanks all.

Can you point me to where it says that?

Thanks,

Gary

Dropped offset holsters WERE legal until the last rule book. I bought one and a little while later, they changed the rule and they became illegal. I had a production rig so I switched from SS to production at that time. My G34 has a Vanek trigger trigger. Maybe it's time to finally buy myself a SS legal holster and start shooting SS again.

Dropped offset holsters WERE legal until the last rule book. I bought one and a little while later, they changed the rule and they became illegal. I had a production rig so I switched from SS to production at that time. My G34 has a Vanek trigger trigger. Maybe it's time to finally buy myself a SS legal holster and start shooting SS again.

What you are calling a DOH holster are still legal in Production. They have never been legal in Single Stack unless you are female.

It isn't the holster, it is how it carries the gun. In Production the heel of the butt has to be at or above the top of the belt. In Single Stack the entire front strap down to the trigger guard has to be at or above the top of the belt.

It is about the measurement metric not a particular holster.

I saw a passing mention on the USPSA site that hinted that SS gear rules were the same as production, so I wondered. I have a Blade Tech SRB mounted on a Double Alpha, and it's SS legal, but was hoping to be able to install the drop offset. Oh well, it's all about skill building and training for me anyway.

What you are calling a DOH holster are still legal in Production. They have never been legal in Single Stack unless you are female.

It isn't the holster, it is how it carries the gun. In Production the heel of the butt has to be at or above the top of the belt. In Single Stack the entire front strap down to the trigger guard has to be at or above the top of the belt.

It is about the measurement metric not a particular holster.

So you can have the offset (up to 2"), just not the drop. Once, I saw an interesting DIY rig consisting of glued together CCI plastic primer sleeves to provide the offset. Whether it satisfies Appendix D5 20's "Suitable for everyday use" requirement could be open for debate.

...and can wear a belt NOT in belt loops. Think "Mom Jeans".

Not quite true. Still must use at least 3 belt loops, but for women they can attach belt loops at their hip level on their pants as opposed to the waist.

5.2.3.1 Female competitors may be permitted (if so authorized in

Appendix D) to wear a belt, holster and allied equipment at hip

level, however, the top of the belt must not be positioned below

the furthest lateral point of the top of the femur (tuberosity

major).

MDA

...and can wear a belt NOT in belt loops. Think "Mom Jeans".

Not quite true. Still must use at least 3 belt loops, but for women they can attach belt loops at their hip level on their pants as opposed to the waist.

5.2.3.1 Female competitors may be permitted (if so authorized in

Appendix D) to wear a belt, holster and allied equipment at hip

level, however, the top of the belt must not be positioned below

the furthest lateral point of the top of the femur (tuberosity

major).

MDA

Interesting that the "OR" in 5.2.3 has been ignored...

5.2.3 Unless otherwise specified in the written stage briefing, the belt carrying the holster and all allied equipment must be worn at waist level. The belt or the inner belt or both must be either securely fixed at the waist, or secured with a minimum of three belt loops.

In my opinion the belt loops can be skipped as long as it is securely fixed at the waist.

Yes, I know that DNROI's opinion of 5.2.3 is that the 3 belt loops is required based on last year's Front Sight, but I'm holding out hope that it's not official until it becomes a ruling.

Edited by Skydiver

SD, I hear you, and you can hold out all you want, but those answers to questions published in DNROI's Front Sight column (the Official Journal of USPSA) are deemed to be "clarifications".

Rulings are issued when there is a legitimate hole to be exploited in a rule (published in the Rules section of USPSA.org).

Clarifications are issued via Front Sight in attempt to make more clear a rule that is considered 'intact', but widely misunderstood.

I don't in any way agree with the particular clarification that was issued regarding the mounting of a belt (I believe it was published not once...but twice). The rule was clear enough as written. It included the word "or" with respect to 3 belt loops, "or" firmly affixed at the waist.

But I have to live with it until rescinded.