Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FNH SLP Mark I Questions

EvilBetty

I've been building a Mossberg 930, but recently found out one of my cousins can pick me up a SLP Mark I cheap through work.

Anyway, in reviewing the SLP Mark I threads it seems as if it sells only with a cantilever barrel, and everyone prefers the vent rib barrels due to weight and the weaver obstruction.

Can you not purchase these with a VR barrel? Seems to blow this gun out of the "ready out of the box" category if you have to immediately go buy a $350 barrel.

Other than a new barrel, opening the loading port, and trigger job, what else does this gun need before it's deemed "ready".

Quite frankly it does not NEED a new barrel.

It does not NEED a trigger job.

De-burring the loading port so it does not mangle your fingers it NEEDS!

You will not be outgunned by a SLP that HAS a VR barrel and a trigger job.

You will be out classed by a shooter with better skills no matter the gun.

You got a Mooseburg that runs and you are happy with it, shoot it.

If you can afford to add the SLP to the stable do it, shoot the dog snot out of both and

then you'll know what's best for you.

In just a minute or two you will get a bunch of replies with "must have" modifications.

I offer NO slight to any of them or to those who offer them...I just subscibe to talent first, toys second.

Good luck.

Patrick

I offer NO slight to any of them or to those who offer them...I just subscibe to talent first, toys second.

Good luck.

Patrick

Quite possibly the best piece of advice I've ever heard regarding the sport of 3 Gun.

It's easy to chase performance w/ money, but usually you just end up tired... and broke.

I haven't actually fired the 930 yet except for patterning it at the range. I got a good deal on it and was getting impatient waiting for the Miculek version to finally come out.

I am guilty as any at throwing initial money at a hobby before really figuring out what I need, but having shot an SLP MkI with the cantilever I know how obstructive it was to my eye. (And yes it damn near ate my thumb as well) I was watching an episode of 3-Gun Nation last night and noticed all the FNH TachOp guys seem to be running VR barrels as well. And I'm coming from running a Remington 1100 Field Special with a 20" barrel that I loved, except how unfriendly it was to speed loading. I don't think I'd cope well with a heavy barrel up front.

Just puzzling they don't sell it that way, or if the do I'd be interested to hear about it.

As usual, Patrick is dead on. None of the jacking around with equipment that we all love to talk about on these posts is completely necessary.

The vent rib barrel for an SLP is an option, but I like the standard 22" barrel on my MK I. The flip up/down rear sight comes in handy with slugs.

Sorry to ask but I am considering one of these shot guns and am new to this whole thing. In layman terms what is the difference between the 2 barrels and why is one favored over the other. Thank you in advance for you help in learning about this.

Sorry to ask but I am considering one of these shot guns and am new to this whole thing. In layman terms what is the difference between the 2 barrels and why is one favored over the other. Thank you in advance for you help in learning about this.

It's my understanding that the cantilever barrel is heavier and has an elevated weaver base and flip up rear sight. The vent rib barrel is lighter and setup with a bead sight, usually setup with a fiber optic front sight.

It's my understanding that the cantilever barrel is heavier and has an elevated weaver base and flip up rear sight. The vent rib barrel is lighter and setup with a bead sight, usually setup with a fiber optic front sight.

thanks for explaining.

If you want, you can skip screwing around with the SLP altogether and just search around for either a used SX2 or a deeply discounted new one at a local retailer. They are easy to find with either a 24 or 26 inch VR barrel. You are then starting off with a gun that is right around a pound lighter than the SLP, pop on an extension tube of your choice, dremel the loading port weld up the lifter and you have a very respectable setup and I bet you will be considerably under $1000.

If you want, you can skip screwing around with the SLP altogether and just search around for either a used SX2 or a deeply discounted new one at a local retailer. They are easy to find with either a 24 or 26 inch VR barrel. You are then starting off with a gun that is right around a pound lighter than the SLP, pop on an extension tube of your choice, dremel the loading port weld up the lifter and you have a very respectable setup and I bet you will be considerably under $1000.

Ding, ding, ding....we have a winner!

Ditto x2

Ditto x2

Something to consider. But I can get a brand new SLP Mark I for around $600. So if it checks out that model number is a VR model that would be perfect.

I had my Mossberg 930 out to day, put 100 rounds though it and it performed flawless while firing. It's just got some weird quirks when it comes to loading the first round from a full mag tube (stock or nordic extension) and ejecting rounds cleanly.

Ditto x2

Something to consider. But I can get a brand new SLP Mark I for around $600. So if it checks out that model number is a VR model that would be perfect.

I had my Mossberg 930 out to day, put 100 rounds though it and it performed flawless while firing. It's just got some weird quirks when it comes to loading the first round from a full mag tube (stock or nordic extension) and ejecting rounds cleanly.

What kind of problems are you having with the 930?

In addition to the differences mentioned by others, there is one more BIG difference (perhaps the biggest).

The 22-inch SLP barrel has a standard INVECTOR choke system. The VR barrel has an INVECTOR PLUS system. The Invector Plus system uses a 0.742 diameter barrel; standard 12 ga. is 0.728. The larger bore size results in less compression of the shot charge and (supposedly) less recoil and better patterns.

With the Invector + barrel you may notice that slug performance lacking. I bought a SX-2 that had been used for slugs and the guy reported abysmal results with any and all slugs he tried.

Shoot it first. I find my SLP the perfect tactical shot gun and the slug performance with Wolf Rifled Slugs is awesome, POI and POA are one and the same at 50 yards.

With the Invector + barrel you may notice that slug performance lacking. I bought a SX-2 that had been used for slugs and the guy reported abysmal results with any and all slugs he tried.

Shoot it first. I find my SLP the perfect tactical shot gun and the slug performance with Wolf Rifled Slugs is awesome, POI and POA are one and the same at 50 yards.

I was referencing the Invector Plus barrel, not the Invector barrel on the SLP