Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

round nose vs flat nose

PHX

Hey all! I'm setting up major loads for a 40 limited. I have some 180 gr round nose and some 180 gr flat nose. I was wondering if anyone has had better luck with one? Are the flat nose prone to jams in the limited? My match loves them.

Thanks!

I only got my Elite Limited recently so I haven't put more than a couple hundred rounds through it. All of those have been FN and I haven't had any issues at all. RN in .40 is actually a pretty rare thing - the vast majority are either FN or HP. My understanding is that FN was chosen to keep the OAL in the same range as 9mm to make it easier for handgun manufacturers to create guns for the new round.

I would go with FN simply because it's almost certainly what was used during the development of the gun.

Edited by acekc

I was only able to find fn locally. I got some montana gold rn from a friend. Ill give em both a try, but ill probably just go with fn. The OL makes a lot of sense why fn is used. What OL are you guys using?

I bought my 21 round magazines from Henning Wallgren and he said that the newer K40 mags on which they're based don't tolerate longer than 1.135" very well. Others on the forum have loaded to 1.145" without difficulties but say that is the limit. If you see K40 imprinted on your mags, I would recommend sticking to 1.135" or 1.145" at most. That's with FN; since RN have a different profile an OAL of 1.135" may result in less case capacity than a 1.135" FN. Be careful with that if you work up a 1.135" FN load and then decide to replace the FN with RN at the same OAL.

I was only able to find fn locally. I got some montana gold rn from a friend. Ill give em both a try, but ill probably just go with fn. The OL makes a lot of sense why fn is used. What OL are you guys using?

What do you consider "RN" from Montana Gold? Looking at all their offering for .40/10mm, they are all hollow points or flat points. (I personally like the 180gn CMJ's for my loads.)