Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

position of head causing low POI?

p5200

I was trying different things while trying to improve my group shooting at 15yds. It seemed, I kept shooting low right but I noticed if I made it a point to hold my head up more straight, my shots were landing pretty much at the right height but, still right about 2" from POA. Could the position of my head be the major problem with the elevation of my groups? I'm really, beginning to think I need to bump the rear sight slightly to the left but, need to figure out what to use to tap it over a slight bit without marring the slide etc. any ideas on that? Thanks! :)

Are you left handed?

Almost always, pushing shots to one side is a result of the shooters interaction with the gun. Which ends up with them actuating the trigger in a manner that is not straight back. There will be some side to side pressure (often due to where the hand of the trigger finger is placed on the gun).

The high low...that could be your glasses. Looking through the center of the lens likely give a true picture. Looking through closer to the edges can bring distortion.

I don't know what grip and stance you are shooting with? But, you should be able to look at the target without the gun up, then just bring the gun up inline with where you are looking. If you are moving your head a bunch...such that you aren't looking straight through your eye socket and also straight through your glasses...they you might need to adjust where your hold the gun. It should be under and inline with your shooting eye.

Bringing the head down will lower your POI. Ask me how I know. :D Bring the gun to your face, not your face to the gun - that's what I keep hearing from experienced shooters.

I also end up pushing to the right if I allow my strong-hand's thumb to ride the frame. The thumb starts pushing the frame to the right when I try to speed up my shooting, as it happens totally unconsciously. Took me a while to realize this. When I place the thumb of my strong-hand over the thumb of my weak-hand without touching the frame, all is good.