Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tool head vibration with Dillon trimmer

be careful the cutter is not engaging the top of the die, as in cutting the top of the die... that can make a heck of a racket and all...

check that the cutter is installed corectly, you can put it in backwards, it won't trim very well and will vibrate when engaging brass...

can't thing of anything else...it should be cutting very cleanly with very little burring. they are a bit noisy... :lol:

jj

Double and triple checked and it's set up correctly. It trims very good too.

The vibration is in the actual toolhead. If I put pressure on the toolhead all the the unwanted vibration goes away. I was thinking about trying to find a little bolt to run through the pin slots to tighten it up. Doubt I can find a bolt that small.

I thought I saw something on the forums that took the slack out of the tool head for a more accurate loading. I was hoping this might not have been a dream.

yep, I use them and they would help your vibration problem. easy to install, just need a drill, I think the proper sized bit is included in the kit. the kit has enough parts for 6? heads???

jj

eta; I'm assuming you are using a 650...

Edited by RiggerJJ

An inexpensive, if somewhat inelegant, solution is to put a spot of target tape at 3-4 locations around the periphery of the toolhead to "snug up" the fit in the press (my own sports four little round "pads" of skateboard tape that suffice nicely and cost way less than UniqueTek's kit ;) )...

I was trimming up a storm and all the sudden the handle wouldn't go all the way back to load the next case. The primer seater had backed off several turns and was about to fall completely out. Yep, they do vibrate a bit. Gonna try the tape trick next time I setup for it. :cheers:

Hope it helps. Originally I put the tape all the way around the toolhead but after cramming it into the press it peeled most of it off. I did have to re-adjust the cutter height becasue it was cutting a few thousandths to short after adding the tape.

Edited by cworks

. Now only if someone can make a suppressor for my shop-vac! My wife would greatly appreciate it!

If your bench is close to a window, take a board the width of your window and 4" or so tall and hole saw a hole just big enough for you VAC hose to go through. Put the vacuum outside and then all you have to put up with is the trimmer motor.