Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tube extensions for outlaw matches

nheiny13

Most (But Not All) of the major Outlaw matches use IMG or modified USPSA rules for Limited and Open.

Most matches will have a rule stipulating that your Limited gun be able to hold no more than 9 at any time.

Some have 9 in the gun to start and then you may load after the buzzer.

Ft Benning has a rule where your not alowed to Ghostload at any time.

one or two have a rule that if your mag can hold 9 rounds (reguardless if you ever load it with 9 or not) they will welcome you to Open class.

Differnt matchs differnt rules

(Personaly I have an 8 and a 9 round tube and switch when i need to.)

please don't forget that a longer mag tube means that you will now be subject to that feeling that all walls, doors & barricades are suddenly much smaller and closer together.

I run a 12 round tube in all matches that don't start with USPSA

NC max is +8, which is what I run. Where did you find a +9. I would like to be able to load 1 extra, that way after the buzzer I grab 4 shells, not 3, leaving one caddy with one shell in it

If memory serves me correctly the Nordic components +8 with their XL cap with about 12" of spring sticking out will allow 12. Or the +8 with the newer XXL cap and about 14" of extra spring will do it. With my Accurate Iron modified bolt I can ghost load and start with 13+1 in open.

In Tactical I can start with 8 in the tube and the very frequent occurrence where you have to run more than 3-4 seconds to get to your first shooting position i can top off 4 rounds or a full weak hand load from my belt. It works most often on natural terrain matches where there is more movement.

I got a bunch of pics I'll post later of my tube and my 21" barrel.

I shoot tactical.. and can hold 10 in the mag tube.. and have a 24" barrel. so it sticks out about 3" past that

I've never noticed the extra length as being a problem

I'll say I've never seen any matches like Tyro describes. Although for bigger USPSA matches I'll put a smaller tube on, or a plug.. just to make sure. Club matches.. I'm just careful.

This is the most common rule:

>>

9 in the gun to start and then you may load after the buzzer. (Instead of some I'd say 'almost all' - but it pays to check)

<<

Never seen these rules:

Most matches will have a rule stipulating that your Limited gun be able to hold no more than 9 at any time.

one or two have a rule that if your mag can hold 9 rounds (reguardless if you ever load it with 9 or not) they will welcome you to Open class.

I shoot tactical.. and can hold 10 in the mag tube.. and have a 24" barrel. so it sticks out about 3" past that

I've never noticed the extra length as being a problem

I'll say I've never seen any matches like Tyro describes. Although for bigger USPSA matches I'll put a smaller tube on, or a plug.. just to make sure. Club matches.. I'm just careful.

This is the most common rule:

>>

9 in the gun to start and then you may load after the buzzer. (Instead of some I'd say 'almost all' - but it pays to check)

<<

Never seen these rules:

USPSA says I more than 9 in the gun after the beep.

Outlaw is either 9 in the gun at the buzzer or 8 in the gun at the buzzer. Load all you want after the beep.

21" is only a few ounces lighter but the torque that your strong hand feels with that extra weight out at the end feels much heavier. I have the following a 21, a 24, a 20, and an 18.5" barrel. The 18.5" feels a lot better than them all to me. The longer mag tube adds weight but it is much less noticeable until the tube is full.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser