Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 gr. vs. 124/125gr. production loads

open67

What is the predominant load in production for 9mm. Is it the 147gr or the 124/125. I've been shooting 124 gr. MG jhp same as in my open gun but have heard that the 147's are softer and more production shooters are using them. Also, if you have any powder preferences or info., please include. Thanks.

Load you some 125's and some 147's and do a bill drill using an ipsc or idpa target with a timer. Record the split times and make sure you track your front sight. That will tell you which one works for you in that gun. I track my sights better with 124's in jacketed and 135's bayou bullet.

Edited by Darrell

Load you some 125's and some 147's and do a bill drill in N ipsc or idpa target with a timer. Record the split times and make sure you track your front sight. That will tell you which one works for you in that gun. I track my sights better with 124's in jacketed and 135's bayou bullet.

^^ This!! ^^

I too have used both 147's and 124's & found out that I prefer the recoil impulse of the lighter bullets at about 135 to 140 PF. The 147's produce a sluggish feeling and it I find myself waiting for the slide to return to battery. The 124's produce a faster recoil impulse which I prefer but, in the end, it all comes down to personal preference.

:sight: Production shooters might want to consider limiting what they are posting about what they are doing in production. We might end up with another rule change about what ammo you can use and if you can reload on your own or not. JM2C

:sight: Production shooters might want to consider limiting what they are posting about what they are doing in production. We might end up with another rule change about what ammo you can use and if you can reload on your own or not. JM2C

what??

what??

I think he's referring to the 3# minimum trigger pull limit that was recently introduced to take effect in 2013 (but I've heard will likely be rescinded before it actually goes into effect).

Either way, despite my similar disdain for that rule, it's not really appropriate here.

As to the original question - as with all things, its going to be a personal preference. I will admit that I've yet to try the 135 Bayou's, but between 124 and 147 I tend to stick with the 124's.

Load you some 125's and some 147's and do a bill drill in N ipsc or idpa target with a timer. Record the split times and make sure you track your front sight. That will tell you which one works for you in that gun. I track my sights better with 124's in jacketed and 135's bayou bullet.

Sounds like a Great PLan. Thanks Darrell.

Jack

I posed this same question to myself about 6 months ago, I bought 3k of the 124s and 147's. After shooting about a 1k of each so far, I prefer the feel I the 147's. They are easier to shoot fast and on the move like a lot of 3 gun stages are. But performance wise I shoot the 124's a little faster manly in split time area. But I am more accurate with the 147's.

So I would say stick with 124's since you already use they, or my other default decision method is to flip a quarter

I prefer the 147s as to many here, but after shooting a lot of 9mm the last few years, I can hardly tell the difference anymore. So if someone asks, I say 147s, but the difference isn't that much...all minor ammo feels pretty soft after a while.