Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coach's 2012 Shooting Log

Coach

Good job Coach. I've been doing the dryfire myself. I haven't been logging it in my diary though. I have been working on my WH grip. I got some CoC grippers and they are helping with grip strength.

Funny how everything starts coming together when we get that gun in hand several times a week. Keep it up.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1/25

Five days in a row. Right at an hour of dryfire tonight. Starting to feel the urge to get to a match.

Drill 2 as always was the warm up made all time including the under baseline. Might be close to moving this down. 1/10 more at this point seems like a big step. Looking forward to making it.

Drill 15 2reload2 I did triple the reps again tonight. Starting to feel smoother. I had to do a do over once on the baseline. I made 5/9 under baseline but made the last four in a row to get there. Here's to finishing strong. Now if I could get off to a good start and then finish strong. I have noticed this month that when things go bad on a reload I am not getting a good and proper grip in the mag in the pouch. Jake would say it is a gear problem if it were him. He might be right. I don't want to go back to the speed rig which would put the mag out of my side fat. I never notice this as a problem in field courses but reloading while moving is not a big deal there is seldom a hurry to get it done. I also think when on auto-pilot it just happens. I think on this drill there is a speed focus and that is jacking thins up. Progress is being made, but much left to do here. I don't want to change gear but I have to be able to hit reloads everything on speed shoots and classifiers.

Drill 13: Front sight Forward 1st time doing this in 2012 and it was fun. It is a part of several other drills so the repetitions have been there. The times were old and I ran through them and made each one so I dropped the baseline to 1.6 and did another set at 1.5. It felt fast and it seemed smooth. I made 4 of the 7 I did at 1.5.

drill 8. 6Reload6 Went nicely and I dropped the baseline here 1/10th as well. I only did 3 reps at each time but they were crisp so I quit while I was ahead.

Drill 12 with the new times was a challenge but I made it. Some of the transfers to the weak hand were really good. I had some shakey ones as well but this was the first time some were really good. Calling that progress.

Drill 11. Strong hand shooting is one thing I feel like I do well. This drill was the last one from the holster and it went fine. I felt like this session was my best job of focus. I had a full day at school and so I was very happy with how the day ended.

Did a few table draws with the backup gun. Tried the Blackwell pick up again. I have decided it is not for me. Going to focus on picking it up with both hands and getting faster at that.

Edited by Coach

1/26

Another good session in the streak of dryfire. I went in wanting to have a focused session and it really went that way. I kept things short and to five drills.

Drill 2 Draws went well again so I dropped the baseline a tenth. I tried 0.7 for three reps. It was too close to call if I made them or not. I either made all three of none of them. Saw the sights well, prepped trigger but the time was very close.

Drills 15: 2 reload 2 was next I did nine reps instead of three. It was the best session on this drill this season. I wanted to focus on the getting the mag out of the pouch with the idex finger in the right place. I did better at this and it showed. I bobbled no reloads badly, and was only slow once. The book says anything 2 and under is smoking fast. I am at 2.2 or 2.3 for a baseline. ( I forget) So I am closing in on fast anyway. Really pleased with the focus and technique on this one.

Drill 8: 6reload6 went smooth and easy and progress seems noticeable.

Drill 12: 6reloadWHO went pretty well. I had to do a do over at the baseline because I beer canned the mag. This is one of my problems with the reloads.

Drill 11. 6reloadsho was pretty solid but not great.

I was in a hurry to get back in the house. Royce wanted to watch some shooting videos with me. We are watching some Super Squad video from nationals and all he wants to talk about is their shirts. Sometimes that boy worries me. I am not sure how someone with my last name and a product of my loins can be concerned about fashion.

Got some single stack reloads in tonight after Royce went to bed. Streak ends today. Taking tomorrow off. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow after school. Should be back to it Saturday, and I plan to hit it every day remaining in the month. Plan to hit the trigger finger gizmo hard tomorrow while driving to and from school.

Royce wanted to watch some shooting videos with me. We are watching some Super Squad video from nationals and all he wants to talk about is their shirts. Sometimes that boy worries me. I am not sure how someone with my last name and a product of my loins can be concerned about fashion.

HAHAHAHA

Need to get him a techwear shirt

We were watching the 2005 nationals and the stage with pink walls and hearts got him fired up. He could not understand why those guys would be shooting a stage that was for girls. I told him a girl painted it and he decided that she probably does not like boys because some the girls in his pre school class don't like boys. So I don't think pink would be his choice.

I was observed in my classroom today by a History Professor from Vincennes Univeristy. She had no concerns and was very pleased with what was going on in the classroom. She though things were getting along well. But she had one criticism. "You are too nice." This has never happened before. I told her that if she said that about me to anyone in the building they would laugh in her face. It was a strange day.

I was observed in my classroom today by a History Professor from Vincennes Univeristy. She had no concerns and was very pleased with what was going on in the classroom. She though things were getting along well. But she had one criticism. "You are too nice." This has never happened before. I told her that if she said that about me to anyone in the building they would laugh in her face. It was a strange day.

Someone should have ran a breathalyzer on her

Someone should have ran a breathalyzer on her

That is possible but I think the explanation is that she is just way meaner than I am.

1/28

12 days of dryfire in January, that is one better than last year and I have a few days to better the mark. I had hoped to double the 11 dadrawys of last year. But it is what it is. I did some reloads with the single stack gun this morning.

With the Limited gun I did Drill 2: This went pretty well and I made about half the times under baseline. (0.7)

I did drills 15. 2 reload 2, I did 9 reps instead of 3 again and progress seems steady with plenty left to do. No bobbles or really bad reloads. Someday I may be able to do relads well. I was eager to get out on the range and see what I could see as far as improvement.

Live Fire:

1) Draws at 10 yards: 1.18,1.12,1.19,1.16,1.14,1.16,1.04,1.04,1.03,1.04 A few charlies and 1 bravo. I did not pull out the files to see how this compares to the past but it is faster and more consistent than in the past. Feel like there has been improvement. Tension was present. I was wanting to be under 0.90 but did not make it. My fastest ever was .84 and that was at 7 yards or a little less.

2) Bill Drill 7 yards: 2.44, 2.17,2.20,2.36, 2.22 did not make all A's on three of these. Disappointed here for sure. Going to work the Bill Drills into the routine. All draws were over 1 second but under 1.25. Slow on the trigger. It felt forced and slow.

3) Draws at 7 yards: 1.11,1.14,1.02,1.11,0.94,1.01,1.0,0.98,1.09 All A's except on Charlie it was the 0.94 This was ok.

Went back to the garage and worked on some table draws. I am not getting the gun picked up far enough with the weak hand to fully get the strong hand all the way around the gun. This is a new discovery and has to be fixed. Shot some bill drills from the table start as well.

Edited by Coach

This is cause concern. It could be the beginning of the end, or a full blown conspiracy. A trap using reverse intelligence?

1/31

The last day of January just proved to be a BMF. Got home from a productive day at school where I taught my ass off all day, and finished grading essay tests. Starting WWII in three class and that is my favorite subject and it is easy. I watched the Five on Fox. That Greek chick sure is leggy. Marcia brought home pizza. I worked on reloads with the single stack gun. I worked the trigger finger hard to and from school.

Dry fire:

drill 2: Smooth and easy. made 4/6 under the par time.

drill 15: The baseline and up went really well. I did triple the number of called for reps again. Seems to be paying off. Under the baseline was a struggle. I made 3/6 and then stopped and had a little talk about focus. Made 2 out of 3 after that.

drill 8: 6R6 I did 9 reps here as well. All reps down through the baseline were easy and I made them easy enough. i made 5 out of 6 under the baseline. I told myself if I made five straight under the baseline I would move the times down. First reps I grabbed a handful of shirt with the mag. So I did move the time down but it will happen soon.

drills 12. 6RWHO: On no par time I had a big bobble. It looked like a monkey with a nerf football. I had a definte speed focus on this drill and it hurt performance significantly. Big surprise! During the second timed set of reps I had a do over because I shot two Deltas on the middle target for some reason. I did start to focus on the mechanics and not the speed and I settled down and made the times easy and shot A's. under baseline I made 2 out 3.

drill 11: Made the time on each. SHO is one thing I think I do fairly well. This drill was easy and I am looking at moving the time down on this one.

Bill Drills from a table top pick up: I have put black pasters on the table to mark the gun and hand position to bring some uniformity to the situation. I did 6 reps at each time. I made all the times down through the baseline. I focused on getting the gun picked up and getting the right hand around the gun. Some of the ones at baseline felt perfect. Did not make any under the baseline though, or it was too close to call. Trigger speed is not my strong suit but I planning on making it the case. I have made progress in this area but I have plenty of room to get better.

I come in from dry fire and there is between 50 and a hundred gallons of water covering the kitchen floor. Washing machine is pumping it out on the floor. Kids watching tv and marcia asleep. What a mess. F$$$!

2/2

Back at it tonight. Had a good session with the same ole drills (2,15,12,11,8) I moved down a tenth on drill 12. Weak hand was going pretty good. Overall it was smooth and good practice tonight when Royce wasn't sitting there heckling me and pelting me with questions. That kid is a piece of work. I feel like the reloads are coming along. I am going to do some with the single stack gun here in a few minutes before the beer drinking begins.

I did some bill drills from the table top pick up. It went well. I was snapping the eyes from the gun to the target really well tonight. I had three our four reps that were absolutely perfect. I immediately saw the sights and was breaking the first shot at exactly the right time. My trigger finger was keeping up for the most part. I saw the sights on every trigger press and called A's, but I am too slow with the finger. (I have heard this before in other situations) my baseline is 1.7 and I made 9 out of 10 reps there. I made 9/10 at 1.6. I went ahead and tried 1.5 seconds just to see. I went 0/4 but was real close each time. If tomorrow night goes like that I will move the time down and keep pushing on. I think if I can get my finger to make 1.5 I have a good chance to make some sub 2 second runs in live fire. I would like to do that sooner rather than later.

Royce wanted to know why I was going fast when I was putting that thing into my gun? I went with "cause" as the answer. He was good with that.

Then he wanted to know if the gun was loaded? Which was a trick question because I have told him all guns are always loaded. I showed him that it was not and said I was being careful to not point it at him or me. He then started naming all the other people I should not point it at either. I told him to go in the house. I think that was his ultimate goal because I told him he should be playing outside on a nice evening like this. I am afraid he is that smart.

2/4

Got about 45 minutes or a little more in tonight. Text messages and phone calls were very distracting in the beginning.

I did the same set of drills I have been doing all season. I noticed a few things tonight as I was drilling. I have been over sqeezing at times with the strong hand. I started focusing on not doing that doing the drills and it went ok. A ways to go on this. I also noticed that I am not always getting the magazine up and in line like I should be. I made an effort to do a little better here as well. During the weak hand only drill I noticed that I was leaving my strong hand floating in space and not against me.

So in short plenty of technique to work on. I did move the strong hand par time down a tenth. 6 reload 6 went pretty well I was seeing the sights well on this one.

Still plan to do some reloads during Storage Wars.

2/5

A little varaiation today. I did a session with single stack reloads this morning before church. After church I got a session in with the GH2 gun. It was all done as table top starts.

I started with Bill Drills. I did sets of 6 reps. It went so smooth and well that I moved the par time down 1/10th after the drill. The pick up and grip on the gun went well.

My par times on the following drills is from last season and from a holster. I think my table top and holster time is essentially the same. I don't know if that is good or bad or if it is normal but this is where i am.

Drill 29:Straight plates:

I did set of 6 here as well. I did three going from Left to right and 3 from right to left. Left to right is my normal direction and I am faster going that way. But the plate drills is the place that I am going to work on changing that situation. In field courses you have to be able to shoot fast going in either direction across an array. I did each par time going in both directions. At 2.8 and 2.7 it went well and I made the time going each direction. 2.6 seconds I made them easy going left to right, I was 0/3 going right to left so I did 9 more reps. I was 4/9 on those. I went on down to 2.5 seconds and did 9 reps each way at this time. I was 4/9 left to right and 0/9 right to left. I am going to being spending a lot of time in Feb getting this down.

Drill 30: Transitions:

A tough one that I don't really enjoy but I think it is very important. Plan to spend time here in Feb as well. Snapping the eye is big and target to target transitition is key. This drill is important. I had trouble making the baseline time. Very rusty here and the back and forth nature of this drill is not normally the way I shoot and an array. It will get better in a hurry.

Drills 31 Plate Loads:

This went badly. I looked like a monkey with an over-lubed nerf football. Table top start with a reload from the table. I dropped the mag on the ground once with no par time. I made 3/4 at 3.8 seconds but the one I did not make I dropped the mag. Put a real damper on an otherwise good session. 3.7 seconds was not any better. I cannot explain what the trouble was here but it sucked. Coming back to these drills tomorrow night.

I had the urge to do some shooting on the move today. Did not have the time though. One month from today is South Central's first match of the season and the opening of 2012's shooting season. I am looking forward to it but I have a lot of improvement that I want to get done in the garage this month. The spring is coming and the shooting season with it.

2/6

Four table top drills tonight. Better than yesterday. Used the Brazos today.

Started with Bill Drills: Went pretty well. I think I am chipping away on the trigger speed. I did 6 reps with no par. I did 9 reps on all others. I made all the times from the baseline up. I was 5 out of 9 under, but the other four were real close.

Drill 29: Straight plates

I did 8 reps on each time. I did four going each direction. I made 7 out of 8 at the baseline time going right to left. Under basleine I made 3/4 going left to right, 0/4 going right to left, I was within one shot of making it.

Drill 30 Transitions

Made 9/10 at 3.2 seconds and I made 7/9 at 3.0 but it was difficult to make.

Drill 31: Plate loads:

I snapped the eye to the mag when reloading off the table. It works better than picking it up blind. Surprise. It went much better today, but I would not call it smooth.

2/8

I got in nearly an hour tonight. It went well. About half of it from the table top on the plates. The other half from the holster. I got back to the SHO and WHO drill. I could see a little progress on the plates shooting from right to left. I did an extra set on the transition drill. Just to push the progress along a bit.

I felt focused for about 97% of the session.

2/9

I got in a half hour or so of draws, reloadns and six reload six last night. I was rushed due to meeting at the Conservation club last night.

2/10

I have gotten in two sets of reloads with the single stack gun today.

Looking forward to shooting a match on Sunday down at Silver Creek. I have not been down there for a match in some time. I have plenty more work to do on the dry fire range but I am looking forward to a little live fire.