Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coach's 2012 Shooting Log

Coach

Thanks Coach!! The League Shoot at Warsaw was GREAT!! I learned a ton and put that to immediate use the next day!! Don't think I Ever ran a stage as good as the last one!! 15.18 seconds, 32 rounds, just one of the best stages I ever ran. Thanks again for all your input and advice.

It was a long spread out field course with plenty of distance and positions so that it could not be called a hosefest. I take it you ran it in a similar pattern despite the tempting changes that I made Sunday morning trying to sucker folks down a different path.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Coach!! The League Shoot at Warsaw was GREAT!! I learned a ton and put that to immediate use the next day!! Don't think I Ever ran a stage as good as the last one!! 15.18 seconds, 32 rounds, just one of the best stages I ever ran. Thanks again for all your input and advice.

It was a long spread out field course with plenty of distance and positions so that it could not be called a hosefest. I take it you ran it in a similar pattern despite the tempting changes that I made Sunday morning trying to sucker folks down a different path.

Yeah, had I made it, that would have been me. I'm a sucker for a different path...

Basically I ran it the same. But, as you suggested, my splits were target appropriate and I adjusted my movement to make it target appropriate. Thanks again.

Cool. You are welcome.

Now I am going to try and follow my own advice at Area 5. But the crowd I am traveling with has me a little nervous.

June 13,

Last live fire before Area 5. Lonely with Bill tied up and Jake playing Mr. mom.

Near to Far: Classic targets

10,12,17 25 yard targets.

4.32 seconds with 35 points

4.52 seconds with 39 points

4.12 seconds with 37 points

3.87 seconds with 32 points

A great set of scores for this drill. These were the only runs.

Bill Drills: Classic targets

2.09 seconds 30 points

2.13 seconds 30 points

2.17 seconds 15 points with a mike.

2.11 seconds 29 points

Draws at 3 yards:

1.03, 1.0, 1.02, 0.93 all A's

draws at 12 yards

1.13, 1.07, 1.08,1.12, 1.06,1.16, 1.07, 1.05, 1.01, 1.01, 0.97, 1.08,1.12, 1.04

Good luck Coach!!

Thanks. I p;lan to go and burn in a good plan for each stage, amd look for the sights to lift on each shot and let the results take care of themselves.

Good luck Coach!!

Thanks. I p;lan to go and burn in a good plan for each stage, amd look for the sights to lift on each shot and let the results take care of themselves.

You know what a plan is.....

I have no plan, seat of the pants, sparks shooting out my ass....and I will be shooting some too

Here is the Area 5 video. Final results are still a ways off. Some good things here and some really big mistakes. This was a tough match. One of the very toughest that I have shot. I will do a full break down on this later.

Here is the Area 5 video. Final results are still a ways off. Some good things here and some really big mistakes. This was a tough match. One of the very toughest that I have shot. I will do a full break down on this later.

Stage 5

- Dropped the gun going into second position.

- dropped the gun a bit on the reload.

- did not quite hit the spot on the third position

-Could have shot more aggressively through the last port.

-Bad Plan. Should have run all the way across and cut out the back and forth stuff.

Stage 6

-pause in the fourth position and on a single wide open target.

-Extra shot in the last position

Stage 7

-Extra shot not need.

-Pulled off the first target around the corner in the next to last position. Ruined an otherwise good run.

Stage 8

-Perf on no shoot moving into the final position.

Stage 9

- Miss on 2nd target in the middle of the stage.

-Extra shots on steel.

Stage 10

+ok

Stage 11

-Two extra shots both needed

Stage 12

-This was the first cluster of the match.

-Extra shot on the steel near the Drop Turner started the derailment of the plan.

-Called the miss on the static steel but made it up too slow and got a Mike no shoot as a result.

-too much movement in the last two positions.

Stage 13

-Gun dips a bit after the first position.

- Extra shots from third position not needed.

-shooting in position four was too slow.

Stage 1

-Best stage of the plan. Pretty good execution.

-Finally some good shooting on steel. Group shooting at distance is paying off.

Stage 2

+Shot great points through the first three quarters of the stage.

-Missed the appearing target.

-Too many extra shots through the door.

Stage 3

-Memory stage and did not have the plan worked out soon enough. Shot second.

-Pushed on the trigger for one target and put one in the hard cover.

Stage 4

went well

The FTF on stage 2 is inexcuseable. I had it in the walk through and I saw it in the mental go round after make ready. I was pushing myself to go faster and that made me forget all about the appearing target. This mistake is not normal for me. I find it very frustrating.

The Max trap no shoot on Stage 12 can happen. The other penalties were too numerous and was a matter of nickel and diming myself to death. I need to continue working on the fundamentals and skill development. Seeing the sights lift needs to be the focus. Live Fire tommorrow night is going to include steel. It is obvious that has to improve.

Other than the one obvious screw up I ran the plans that I wanted to run and they were execute smoothly as possible. It was a tough match that required memmory and multiple positions. It was a national level match.

Edited by Coach

WVPPS Club match.

Won Limited in this match. Was HOA as well but Indiana's only GM was missing a score on a field course. I did beat him on a couple of others.

Stage 1

-DID not get off to a good start. too many extra shots on the steel. Any is too many.

-Had an edge hit on the plate that resulted in a no shoot. I did a standing reload to shoot the plate again, and I am not sure why since it was also visible from the other side.

-time was slow due standing reload and extra shots.

Stage 2

-Mike-no shoot on this stage and the trouble continued.

- But the time was fast and I won the stage by being able to absorb the penalties.

-I moved well across the stage and had a great plan.

- First shot in the static position in the middle of the stage was slow, and a mike no shoot.

-Could have been more aggressive on the trigger in the last position.

Stage 3

+Good draw

-Felt pretty good but was not the fastest time, and threw a delta.

Stage 4

-Bad news was a few deltas.

-Freestyle run was good and I saw the sights well.

-String 2 SHO was a slow first shot but the rest of the string went well.

-String 3 was ok time wise but a few deltas.

Stage 5

-Won this stage overall everyone in all divisions.

-One delta on the last target and i called it a possible miss but decided not extra shots and it worked out.

+Good movement.

+Saw the sights well on this stage. I need this level of seeing more often.

+Stage flowed well.

Stage 6

-1st shot was slow

-Not much confidence on small steel.

Steel shooting needs work.

Stage 7

-Dipped the gun leaving the first position

-Standing too tall while shooting on the move.

+Good first port.

Been off the gun for the last two days. Needed a break mentally to be honest, and I have had more to do around the house than I could get done. Air conditioner went out, tearing a barn down, building walls with Jeff for WVPPS, hauling scrap metal off to get it out of the way, family obligations such as 4h and basketball camp. Dealing with some serious stuff here.

Won the HOA at WVPPS to follow up the Area 5 match. In both of those matches I shot well at times, but need to be just a little more consistent. Accuracy at speed continues to need attention and it is going to get it in live fire this afternoon. Shooting steel should not have been the hold up that it was last weekend and it is going to get attention in live fire today as well. I plan to get back to some dry fire starting Thursay morning. I also plan to get back to working on movement in the yard later this week as well.

Live fire went well. The crowd was much bigger. (Yes someone actually made it) Yesterday I got busy with the barn in the afternoon and worked till dark. I forgot to dry fire. I am headed out first thing this morning to do it. I worked with Alyssa on her steel shooting, and I shot about 50 rounds worth of groups from 35 and 50 yards. My last five shots at 50 were on a 10 inch plate with five hits. I went up to 7 yards and tried to shoot a paster at 7 yards took me three shots to hit it. I ended up with four out of the ten hitting it. That is a tricky little shot. Cannot see the paster at all.

League shoot at ACC tomorrow and a match on Sunday. I need to get some ammo loaded today.

6/22

Drill 2 draws 6 or more reps per time

went very well

Drill 15 2 reload 2 9 reps

went well

Drill 29 Straight plates 8 reps

went well

Drill 30 plate transitions 6 reps

went ok but this needs work. A fundamental skill. I hope to hit this one again tonight.

Drill 34 Plates reload SHO 3 reps

went great

Drill 35 Plates reload WHO 3 reps

went well

6/22

Got back out there this afternoon. I did 30 draws with apar time of .7. I made 5-6 of these. I completely did not make 5-6 others. Everything else was too close to call. I need to shave a tenth or two from my draws. My biggest problem is reaction to the buzzer. We track reaction time on the reload drill in live fire. If I am under .22 it is good time for me. Bill has much better reaction to the buzzer than I do. He is usually in the high teens. I am working on it.

I also did the plate transitions again. I did ten reps with each of the times and made them all. I did not make them all this morning. So that went better.

I did Front Sight Forward ten reps at 1.7, 1.6 and 1.5. This went well. I feel like I am starting to see the front sight better as such speeds. Had some good runs last Sunday in the match and I can remember the sight pictures well. I think group shooting is helping and I think it is a good thing to shoot those groups at 35 and 50 yards. Calling shots at distance is more difficult.

Got to get the truck loaded up for tomorrow's league shoot at Atlanta.

Hosted an Instructional League today at Atlanta. Fired just about 136 rounds. A little trouble with steel on one stage but only 3 deltas on the day, no mikes. Taking Alyssa out to ACC tomorrow. We got a little over 200 rounds in this week on the .22 on Wednesday, thursday and Friday. I hope we have he trigger control headed in the right direction.

Video from ACC on June 23, 2012

Shot three stages well, two were so-so, and one was crappy.

Stage 1:

Almost a great run.

-draw was a little slow.

+The shots through the firs port were good hits and a smooth pace.

+Good reload.

-Missed the sweet spot for the last two arrays without having to shift feet.

-Second shot on the swinger was a mike. Lowered the gun and did not finish shooting. 1/4 or less and it is a delta.

+Good steel shooting. (maybe a little slow)

Stage 2:

Lost the match right here. Too many penalties and too little sight focus.

-Third shot was mike that touched the target but not the perf. Just let the sight fall back into the notch and the score is 15 points better and the run no slower.

-Transition into first port slow.

-Did not roll out of second port very well and that helped put one a half inch into the no shoot. Plus the extra time to come back and make up the shot just added to the misery.

-Cannot miss fast enough to win.

Stage 3:

+ A solid run but not the stage win that I needed or was hoping for.

-A small dip in the gun from the first array to the second array.

-Could have shot the third and fourth arrays faster and moved faster while doing it.

-Reload was a little slow.

- Need to shoot the first target through the window more aggressively.

-Could have been more aggressive all across the back.

Stage 4:

A great run. No one in any division beat me here.

+Pretty good load, reload and good points = stage win. Just do this all the time. Gun handling built from dry fire paying off here.

Stage 5:

Nearly a great run.

String 1: I was only down 1 point.

String 2: Mike on head shot due to overconfidence. I am good SHO but need to do the work on the sights and trigger on each shot. Nothing is automatic.

String 6:

Finished a crappy match strong with a stage win in Limited. But it is far from perfect. Stuff I should do every stage did not happen.

- Draw was slow.

-Reload a little low

-The little hop into position 2 cost me time.

-Arrived in the last position and the gun was not up, and there is a huge pause there.

+Last six shots were at a good aggressive pace and I saw the sights. A good finish.

Edited by Coach

6/25

Pretty full day with a number of duties performed. I got around to dry fire this evening. It was a great session.

Drill 2 Draws 10 reps

went well

Drill 15 2R2 10 reps

Went well

Bill Drill 10 reps

went well I actually have confidence that trigger speed is being enhanced finally.

Drill 29 Straight plates 8 reps

went well.

Drill 30 Plate transitions 10 reps

went well

Drill 34 Plates reload SHO 3 reps

went well. Had a mike on Sunday SHO and I am not happy about it. Overconfidence is the biggest reason for the mike on sunday.

Drill 35 Plates reload WHO 3 reps

went well

6/25

I got dry fire in this morning. I have loaded a couple hundred rounds and plan to head out on the range here is a bit and put Alyssa through a couple hundred rounds of rimfire trigger control practice. I also plan to shoot some groups of my own at 35 and 50 yards. I might even shoot some arrays containing steel.

Dryfire:

Drills 2: Draws 10 reps

went well

Drill 15: 2R2 10 reps

A few bumps in the road here. Got my focus back and finished strong.

Drill 29; Straight Plates 10 reps

went well. Made all the times including up the baseline going both directions. Progress is sweet.

Drill 30: Plate transitions 10 reps

This is an important one and it is getting better. Went well.

Bill drill from table top: 10 reps

Went well. I am thinking a break through in trigger speed might just be around the corner.

Drill 34: Plates reload SHO 3 reps

Went well

Drill 35 plates reload WHO 3 reps

went well.

Shot some groups on paper and steel at 50 yards. Went pretty well 30 rounds fired from 50 yards only one miss on paper and less and only a couple of deltas. Any mistake on the trigger at that distance is a disaster. On the ten inch steel plate 3 out of 5, 4 out of 5 several times. 10 for 10 at 25 yards.