Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer Bounce? After just changing MSH?

steviesterno

Hey all,

forgive me if this should be in smithing, but figured you 1911 guys would know your stuff.

Back story: I switched out my random MSH for an S&A one piece magwell/MSH on my 4" springfield lightweight loaded. I used the same "guts" off the one that was in it before, hammer spring, pins, top and bottom piece, etc. When I got the gun all back together, I found out I have what seems like hammer bounce.

Symptoms: Hammer is sitting "floppy" in the middle of its range of motion. If i cock it, it stays cocked. Grip safety works, thumb safety works. Pull the trigger, and the hammer hits the FP and instead of staying there, it bounces back to that floppy middle ground. I say sloppy because it has a little fore and aft movement, but won't bounce into full cocked or back into the FP.

I tried a more powerful main spring pin, with the same results. I guess the real question is WTH is going on? I don' think I damaged any parts on the dis or reassembly, but I may be wrong. What do I do? I really don't want to take my 1911 to my smith and explain that I'm stupid and broke it. I already do that enough with my mechanic...

Please help, everyone! I want to get this fixed and back on my hip, as it's my EDC.

You replaced the Springfield MSG with internal locking system with a smith & Alexander MSG?

The ils mainspring is not the same length as a normal mainspring. I forget if you need to replace the plunger too, but I suspect that's the basis of your problem.

I'm not familiar with that model Springfield. It does sound like there's a difference in some dimension somewhere, although replacing the original parts should have fixed it.

I'm no 'smith and I'm not saying it'll work or that you should try it on a duty gun, but I remember an old school trick of leaving the mainspring cap retaining pin out during assembly. This keeps constant spring tension on the hammer strut and therefore the hammer removing the slop that you're experiencing.

Thanks for all the help guys, it was driving me nuts! I was thinking and I remembered when I took it apart I thought it was weird there was no pin, and the spring was higher up. Thought I poked the pin out on removal, but when I put it back together (with a new pin!) it didn't work!

Now my question is that as long as it proves reliable, any reason to not carry it like this?

Thanks for all the help guys, it was driving me nuts! I was thinking and I remembered when I took it apart I thought it was weird there was no pin, and the spring was higher up. Thought I poked the pin out on removal, but when I put it back together (with a new pin!) it didn't work!

Now my question is that as long as it proves reliable, any reason to not carry it like this?

You mean with out a pin? if so yes, don't have a pin in any of my guns.

For ease of assembly and disassembly, put the pin in from the outside and when you have it all together, pull the pin out. For disassembly, just cock the hammer and insert pin. If you'd like a longer device, just find a brad of the correct diameter and use it.

For ease of assembly and disassembly, put the pin in from the outside and when you have it all together, pull the pin out. For disassembly, just cock the hammer and insert pin. If you'd like a longer device, just find a brad of the correct diameter and use it.

All these years and I never thought of that. great tip.

ou can buy a kit from browness for $10,00 and change the ILS system to a standard system with the pin and not worry about looking for the take down pin or the parts shooting out of the MSH if you forget to go slow or put the retaing pin in. Try finding the little cap once it goes flying.