Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ramshot Powder - Anyone Tried It?

GhettoSmack

I was in the local outdoor sports mega store the other day and saw some Ramshot powder. After checking out their load data on their website, the Competition and Zip powders piqued my interest.

Has anyone ever try either powder for 9mm or .45ACP? What were your results and opinion?

By the way, Ramshot has excellent load data on the website! They list MANY bullet types and weights; ~3X more than the other online guides.

I have no experience with their pistol powders although I use their Big Game powder in my 30-06 hunting load and I'm very happy with it. Two things that the line as a whole is known for is metering very well (all their powders are ball powders with a fine consistency) and low temperature sensitivity. I've considered trying their pistol powders before but I've already worked up Power Pistol loads for all my handgun calibers and other load research has therefore been higher priority.

I used to use Competition under 147's for 9mm when I shot production with very good results. It's been a few years so I don't remember my exact load but 3.4 grains runs in my mind.

Unfortunately I can't get it locally so I used Solo 1000 and really liked it too.

Now I shoot Open and use Silhouette and really like it.

Competition is very good, but Ramshot seems to only want to market it for shotguns.

Zip, so far, is too much like HP38/231 and not nearly enough like N320.

Silhouette is a very accurate powder in many different cartridges, and is truly SUPER in .38 Super and .40S&W.

True Blue is very good for "high performance" .38 Super and 10mm Auto loads.