Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First comp. gun purchase

gr1975

I have looked at the glock and am not impressed with the long pull and long reset of the trigger. I have also been told you can't do anything about it. is this true?

IPSC or uspsa? Under the current rules, you can do something about it in uspsa, but IPSC has a 5lb trigger pull limit. It all depends on the sanctioning body.

I started with a glock and am shooting it in limited. Any gun you arr comfortable shooting is a good start once you get hooked its hard to stop. Im having a limited gun built now and am seriously considering having an open gun built as well.

It appears that the new XD 5.25 is the best choice out of the box... Already has good sights and trigger which are the 2 biggest problems with stock guns.

.40 can play well in the most divisions, albeit with higher ammo costs compared to 9mm.

Be aware that a 9mm means that you will be happiest in the production division, which is where you should probably start anyway.

Do you have any friends who already shoot IPSC/USPSA who can offer some education on the divisions?

It's easy to buy the wrong gun if you don't know which division you'll be in...

It appears that the new XD 5.25 is the best choice out of the box... Already has good sights and trigger which are the 2 biggest problems with stock guns.

.40 can play well in the most divisions, albeit with higher ammo costs compared to 9mm.

Be aware that a 9mm means that you will be happiest in the production division, which is where you should probably start anyway.

Do you have any friends who already shoot IPSC/USPSA who can offer some education on the divisions?

It's easy to buy the wrong gun if you don't know which division you'll be in...

I do have a friend who is in USPSA he is helping alot with getting me involved! Thx for the info on the XD M 5.25!

Steve is right. I bought the M&P pro in .40 not really knowing or understanding for USPSA so I am in limited with a stock gun. I am now getting a trigger job and spring/guide rod put in it. Now looking at a XDm 9mm from canyon creek.

Good Luck!

Chris

Most people here in Alberta, Canada shoot a SP-01 Shadow.

In my black badge course of 8 (we need to take it to be able to shoot IPSC and holster a firearm), 6 had SP-01 Shadows, 1 P226 and I had the only Glock 17.

That ratio seems correct (without the Sig) at my league nights too!

Okay, well I am just confused now. I am going to get a hi cap 9 mm and just have fun with it!

Check out some local ranges to see if they have some to rent. The three most popular have been mentioned, Glock, M&P, and XD 5.25, but each has a different feel, in both trigger and grip angle. The M&P has drop in parts that can greatly improve the trigger. The Glock has some parts that you can drop in to change the feel and weight of the trigger. Don't know much about the XD. Between the Glock and the M&P, I think the M&P trigger wins in the trigger category, after drop in parts.

Spend a little money at the range or try out a friends and hopefully you'll be happy with your final selection. Remember to save some money for holsters, belt, mag pouches and a reloading machine!

Seiichi

Try before you buy!

Like someone suggested, renting is a great option. Go to a local match and check out some guns there.

For production, I like Glocks with the M&P being VERY close behind. It's all personal preference though. XD's are fine, if that's what you like. I've enjoyed shooting them when I've had the opportunity (XD .40 5.25" and the XDM 5.25" 9mm). I just don't need a 3rd model in the mix :D

Edited by clemson0211

XDm, XD, Glock, M&P are striker. No external hammer, just one kind of pull. I believe they are all available in 40S&W. if purchased in 9mm, I'd shoot it in production. if 40, prod, lim or L-10. If im feeling lucky, id shoot it in open :cheers:

Not only is the XDM legal for any USPSA division, but it's also just a fun gun to shoot. If you are like most gun people, you will probably have a whole safe full of guns at some point in your life. They are all great for one thing or another. The XDM is a great buy and you will enjoy it.