Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Router trouble

spook

Hi everyone! I don't know jack about this stuff and I'm lost here. I have a cablemodem and a 4 port router and 2 PC's. One of the PC's (PC1) runs fine. I always have a connection to internet and LAN.

My other PC (PC2) has a problem. It disconnects from the internet sometimes. Every 10 to 15 minutes or so. The strange thing is the little LEDs from my router don't light up when I connect the cable from PC2 to the router. I thought it was a defective routerport, but the LEDs from every port light up when I connect PC1. What could this be? It's driving me nuts! HELP!!!!!!

Lord, yes, check the NIC. You've already done all the right physical level checks for connectivity and found them to be pretty sound. The intermittency of the problem also leads ME (the novice that I am, even) to suspect the card first thing, AND that moving the system can dislodge ANY of the cards a little--especially if you yanked cables and slightly moved the card in the slot..... check to see if the card mount screw is loose, too. You might just go thru the whole box and re-seat all cards just as a precaution, particularly since you physically moved the box. You might also test the cable you're using with that particular unit. :)

Take the cable from computer 1 & plug it into computer 2. If the router lights, it is the cable (most likely issue). If not, check the NIC card to make sure it is properly seated. With the power off, push the NIC into its slot. Also try a different open slot. If none of this works, contact me directly for more troubleshooting.

Al

Thanks a mille guys 'n gal. Well, I'm still testing, but it seems the problem was fixed by installing the newest driver for my NIC card. I find it strange that it worked for so long and crapped out on me after a while.

Yep, NICs can have drivers, too... just like other devices........... ;)

And since you have one 'known good computer' in this system, you can cross check several elements, making the process of elimination a lot quicker. Lucky you!

1. Parts DO FAIL sometimes.

2. Ethereal anomalies sometimes occur.

3. It's surprising computers work as well as they do, as long as they do and under some of the conditions they do.