Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

124gr MG loads

45PlottHound

I received my 124gr JHP MG bullets Saturday. Now I have a few question.I plan on using these for both 9mm, P226 and XDM for general shooting , and 38S, for my EAA Witness Match. Currently I am using Power Pistol in my 9mm 115 loads, 5.6rg at 1.100" COAL.

Starting with the 38S, I noticed that most people are loading them long. It is my understanding that the MG is very close in dimension to the Hornady XTP of similar size. The Hornady 7th edition lists a COAL of 1.210, I made up a few at 6.2gr at this length. They feed fine in my EAA,I know at 1.265 Winchester 130gr factory jams in the magazine. It seem likes most people are loading around 1.260+ with a similar slug.

I am working up a load for the 9mm, same powder, and found similar information here. It seems a lot of people are loading 1.100+ and the manual lists 1.060" COAL.

Any information would be helpful.

i always like to find the longest load that my gun will function with.....it shouldnt contact the rifling ....one easy way is to get a piece of brass fired from your gun...dont resize it...do not put powder in it ....just start a bullet in the case... it should push in without to much pressure....and slide it into the barrel..as far as it will go....pull the bullet out carefully and measure the length...it should have seated the bullet to exactly where the rifling starts.....make them a hair shorter to allow for oal variations and load a few rounds and check them for function in the gun....works for me anyway.

I received my 124gr JHP MG bullets Saturday. I plan on using these for both 9mm, P226 and XDM , and 38S, for my EAA Witness Match.

45Plott - one great way to differentiate your minor loads from

your major loads (which is Really important) is to use different

bullets - makes it Real Easy to tell if you've picked up a box

of 1100 fps or 1500 fps rounds.

I usually use the 124 MG JHP's for major, and 147 MG's for minor

= they really look a lot different, even at a casual look. And,

the 147's shoot better/softer in my BHP.

Good luck,

Jack