Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone using the Maxpedition Mongo bag

Mokken

no, you just use the universal maxpedition holster in the CCW compartment. there are plenty of little compartments that keep everything organized, which is my favorite part. i used to do a backpack but i kept filling it with organizers to the point where half the weight and size was just the dang organization.

ok, here's how i load it out:

- CCW compartment holds gun

- main compartment has two pockets, each one holds a 100 round ammo tray. middle has the mags thrown in, with my ears on top of them.

- side compartment has gloves for setup reset and teardown

- sleeve pocket behind it has a bore brush for cleaning mags and grip lotion.

- front pocket has snacks and gum

- bottle pocket has 1L bottle

- top flap has a top pocket and front sleeve... top pocket has tools, like my leatherman, surefire light, and knife. front sleeve has hand sanitizer, a couple band aids, lip balm, eye drops for my contacts

- there's molle webbing on the part that connects to the shoulder strap... i was able to connect my regular belt holster for my droid on it

well i like how small and compact it is. no more fumbling with a big bag, and there's just enough room for what i personally like to have in my bag. it's great for local matches... i haven't shot a big match with it yet... but remember, there's always a lunch break to go refill the bag with another water bottle and more food. i'm fat, so i have to constantly eat. the only diet i'm on is a see-food diet.

i haven't shot with this style yet in the summer, that's when i can finish 4L of water easy from 7am to 7pm. that might be the dealbreaker if i have to keep going back to my car. on the other hand, there's always water stations at major matchesw in the summer.

i have the falcon 2 as well. i guess it depends on how many extras you lug around. i mean, the only thing you're doing between stages is:

1. reload mags

2. sip water

3. eat (i'm fat)

so i made a list of what i needed to do in order to accomplish these three tasks. i didn't need to carry a pistol sleeve to every stage, nor my 6-mag sleeve, nor 500 tools, all my lenses, and the entire day's worth of food and water. in the end, everything fit neatly into my jumbo.

In 2011 I used the 1776 Tactical Second Amendment Range Pack and really liked it.

Has plenty of space, lots of compartments and nifty attachment points.

Will have to see how it holds up. It held up last year for many club matches and 4 major matches.

I've been using a Jumbo as a match range bag for about 2 years. I find that a larger bag just gets filled with weight I don't actually need and since I hurt my back I try to carry less. Like the man resembling the burning rodents (dude! how the hell did you pick that name??) I find that the Jumbo fits everything I need and not a lot more. Gun, ammo, gloves, a bit of oil, spare parts, and my leatherman. I also chuck in my flashlight and wallet so I don't have them in my pockets while I shoot. Water, spare ear plugs, gum, a bag of nuts or whatever snack, 200-300 rounds of ammo, etc, all have their places. Normally my Rudy's case rides in the water bottle pocket when not at the range as the water rides in the cooler until I get to the range, and once on the range the case stays in the car and the glasses on my face, water bottle in replacing it. At the end of the day my belt/holster/etc rig just gets chucked in the back of the car where it stays until the next match or range session and the jumbo is all that comes into the house.

Works for me, I wouldn't want anything bigger, its damn perfect. I even shot a 3 gun match or two with it, fitting all the handgun and rifle ammo and a couple of spare rifle mags (while the rest of the mags were on me), but the shotgun ammo and water cooler where ridding on someone else's garden cart.

Edited to add: if your wife is like mine she will laugh and point and call it a purse. I prefer tactical European shoulder bag. Also the little clip on the shoulder strap holds my keys so they don't bang around my pockets.

Edited by Vlad