Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

widening and deppening rear sight notch?

joedodge

Has anyone ever taken a small file and deepened and widened the factory rear sight notch on the stock 625 rear sight. Im thinking of opening it up to .140 to accomodate the factory .125 wide front sight,and give better sight acquisition. And also lower the sight notch to allow faster sight acquisition just curious if anyone has tried this and how it worked out befor I do it.

Has anyone ever taken a small file and deepened and widened the factory rear sight notch on the stock 625 rear sight. Im thinking of opening it up to .140 to accomodate the factory .125 wide front sight,and give better sight acquisition. And also lower the sight notch to allow faster sight acquisition just curious if anyone has tried this and how it worked out befor I do it.

My 625s and 627s with iron sights, both S&W & Millet have all been opened up with a file to .250 (yes, 1/4") and it has improved my speed a great deal without compromising my accuracy.

post-213-0-38303300-1324865437_thumb.jpg

I have....with mixed sucess. I continue to be amazed at how the human eye can pick out the slightest imperfection. I was able to open up a S&W rear to .150 and deepen it a bit (I have forgotten the exact depth), but the notch was not quite square and my eye picked that up every time. It worked fine, but was never quite "right". A much simpler and more effective option that is cost effective is to replace the S&W rear blade with a Weigand .140 blade that is also deeper. The Weigand also has the advantage of giving you a uniform, flat sight surface when looking at the rear sight. I use the Weigands on all my game guns and I'm very happy with them.

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=SWsights

Fiber optics at the front and rear have worked very well for me. A large bright light green at front and two bright red lights on the rear sight make target acquisition very fast and accuracy superb! I shoot revolver USPSA (IPSC) with them. I've put them on both my S&W revolvers : 617 and 610. If you think your eye can differentiate small variations in a filed down rear sight just imagin how much more effective these replacement sights are? These are high quality items made of steel by a respected expert in revolvers. I had my gunsmith do the installation. "Wow" is the typical response when my revolver friends take a sample sight picture at the safety table. They are worth every penny and I highly recommend them.

Good shooting and have fun

I'm not a huge fan of rear fibers I think I'm just gonna try widening and deepening the stock notch first I removed the brass bead in the front sight and like the black blade just want a little more of it.visible

Of course the other option is to use a thinner front sight blade. Contact Toolguy on this forum if that is of interest to you.

I had an Apex Tactical rear sight installed on my K-frame. I had Apex open it up to 0.140. It looks very much like the Weigand blade, and gives a much cleaner sight picture than the stock rear blade.

• 6 years later...

Sorry for digging up this old thread... but I'm all happy with myself and wanted to share...

Instead of buying new sights, I've decided to open up the factory rear sight to 0.2 inch on my 627 PC and blacken out the 'gold bead' on the front sight. 

My God, what a huge difference....  so much easier to pick up the front sight now... :)

Oh.. and I've deepened the sight as far as possible as well...

Rear sight.jpg

Edited by WFargo