Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting to reload.......

G17fan

Best place for brass in order

Pick it up yourself on the range.

Buy it from somebody on the forums who has been around a while.

Buy it from any number of vendors who sell once fired brass.

Starline if you want brand new brass.

Bullets

Montana gold if you want jacketed bullets that are available.

ZERO if you want jacketed bullets that are usually NOT available.

Precision Moly if you want moly coated lead.

BBI " " " "

Powder Primers

Powder Valley.

Agreed on the brass sources, but for bullets, it's hard to beat Bayou Bullets: http://bayoubullets.net. Don't be confused by the site being under construction. Call Donnie and he will do you right. I know they are a hair less than Precision and MUCH cleaner. Never need to scrub out the waxy buildup from moly bullets. These things are very hard, yet very soft shooting.

Buy critical spare parts. Load match ammo at least a week before the match. Have a week's worth of practice ammo loaded the week before. It never seems to happen for me and I'm up late loading for the next days practice or match, but it's my new year's resolution to get ahead at least a week in advance on practice, and match ammo.

Test the hell out of your ammo. Test, test, and test again. Don't wait until the match to find out your having ammo problems. Buy a chronograph, and ware the thing out.

The number one suggestion..buy everything in bulk. You save a ton of money on hazmat and shipping fees if you buy 6 to 12 months worth of powder, and primers at a time.

Hope this helps a little. Merry Christmas to all.

Chris

Buy critical spare parts. Load match ammo at least a week before the match. Have a week's worth of practice ammo loaded the week before. It never seems to happen for me and I'm up late loading for the next days practice or match, but it's my new year's resolution to get ahead at least a week in advance on practice, and match ammo.

Test the hell out of your ammo. Test, test, and test again. Don't wait until the match to find out your having ammo problems. Buy a chronograph, and ware the thing out.

The number one suggestion..buy everything in bulk. You save a ton of money on hazmat and shipping fees if you buy 6 to 12 months worth of powder, and primers at a time.

Hope this helps a little. Merry Christmas to all.

Chris

Chris, you really need to get a progressive press. There are usually several on here for sale. If you want to see a 550 in action, send me a pm and I'll show you how to work it.

You just embarrassed the hell out of me :goof: That's another one of my New Year's resolutions. If I have to stay up late collecting aluminum cans, or sell plasma downtown, I'm gonna make it happen!

Hell, Chris.....sorry about that. But anytime you are in a rush to load some ammo, give me a shout, I'll show you how to use the 550 (if I'm in town) and you can load on it. I average around 400-500 an hour. Look for a press here on the forums....

Is there a powder that you would recommend? I have been told Vith was good... N320?????

How many rounds can I load with a 1LB powder?

Here is what I was planning to load....

230GN

RN

.45 ACP

Any recommendations to better set up / performance is WELCOME.... 185gn or 200gn thoughts?

Edited by G17fan

LLots of good powders for 45. VV is expensive though, and since its in high demand for 9mm, it might be hard to get. There are 7,000 grains to 1lb of powder. Divide your charge weight into 7,000 and it will give you roughly how many rounds. Look into tire group, win 231, power pistol, many many others.

LLots of good powders for 45. VV is expensive though, and since its in high demand for 9mm, it might be hard to get. There are 7,000 grains to 1lb of powder. Divide your charge weight into 7,000 and it will give you roughly how many rounds. Look into tire group, win 231, power pistol, many many others.

Sorry, did you mean titegroup by Hodgdon?

When starting, go with a mid weight bullet first. You will probably find more recipes for them, and they are roughly in the middle perfomance wise. They won't be as snappy as the lighter bullets, but not a sluggish as your heavier bullets. If you are starting out and do not think you will ever shoot rifle calibers, then you can't really go wrong with a SDB press. It is a great little press for the shooter who shoots only one or two calibers of pistol. Now if you plan on shooting rifle calibers, than a 550 or a 650 would be great. But if you don't look to the SDB. It is a great press that is also progressive.

I like Powder Valley for primers, BBI, or Bear Creek for bullets, although I hear great things about Bayou. I will be trying them next year when I run out of bullets.

Good luck, and don't pass on Grumpy's offer. You can learn a lot from someone who has been doing this awhile.

JZ

Well if you were in SoCal I'd offer to sell you win231 for half price since I bought 4 lbs recently in Nov. and loaded up only 500 before I discovered clays is much better for revolvers(I actually had 6 or 7lbs since its my primary shotgun powder, 231 just meters REALLY nice though). I'd stick with 230gr seems to be a little softer to make PF. For Clays 4gr of clays under a 230gr LRN = ridiculously soft compared to 5.1gr of 231 its mind boggling to me......

Oh and if this is your first time reloading in general buy some books, you can never have to many resources since every barrel and every gun will have different maximums.

Edited by BlueOvalBandit

Everything below is a good start!!..

Best place for brass in order

Pick it up yourself on the range.

Buy it from somebody on the forums who has been around a while.

Buy it from any number of vendors who sell once fired brass.

Starline if you want brand new brass.

Bullets

Montana gold if you want jacketed bullets that are available.

ZERO if you want jacketed bullets that are usually NOT available.

Precision Moly if you want moly coated lead.

BBI " " " "

Powder Primers

Powder Valley.

Ok, what would you recommend for the brand of primers? CCI, Wolf, Winchester, Federal etc....

Thanks for the help!

Anything works in .45, even Wolf, but they are pretty hard. I am shooting Federal now, but probably switching back to CCI for everything.

I'd recommend any of the big 3: CCI, Winchester, or Federal.

Not enough difference between lead and Jacketed performance wise to matter in 45. Lead is just dirty, will smoke a bunch with different powders, and sometimes a bit harder to get set up to load correctly. I went away from lead because of health reasons.....

Not enough difference between lead and Jacketed performance wise to matter in 45. Lead is just dirty, will smoke a bunch with different powders, and sometimes a bit harder to get set up to load correctly. I went away from lead because of health reasons.....

Avoiding lead exposure?

I read a sticky here of various people saying how they had blood work done to see their levels..... How bad is it, really? I read that if you are in a well ventelated area, use gloves, wash hands after use and before eating then its ok... Sounds like you have experience... thoughts?