Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which 9mm Bayou for SS and CZ 75?

steel1212

I can't decide between the 135, 147, and the 160. I want to go with the 147s but they are flat point and my SS really likes round nose. The 135 and 160 are both round nose but I'm worried the 160 will be to sluggish in my 1911s. Then there is the 135s but I don't think that is heavy enough for me to tell a difference over the 125s I'm shooting now?

I can't decide between the 135, 147, and the 160. I want to go with the 147s but they are flat point and my SS really likes round nose. The 135 and 160 are both round nose but I'm worried the 160 will be to sluggish in my 1911s. Then there is the 135s but I don't think that is heavy enough for me to tell a difference over the 125s I'm shooting now?

I can tell the difference between 125gr and 135gr in my CZ. The 135s are just a little more snappy than a 147 yet tamer on the snap than 115s or 125s. The 135s are definitely harder hitting on steel than my old 115gr loads were.

Edited by gigamortis

Great choice going with Bayou. I run the 125's in my 9mm SS and XDm for production. They rock. Running Solo 1000 at 4.2gr and 1.155 OAL for 1077fps avg = 135pf (70 deg, low humidity). I've run the 135's and didn't notice a huge difference. Since I shoot this gun and load for steel challenge, the faster the better on stages like outer limits.

Donnie will sell you samples, when I first started BayouBullets I had him send me a 100 of all the 9, 40, and 45 bullets he made. He didn't make the 160 back then. So I tried them and went in 9 minor with the 135gr. I use WST or N320 with them, accurate and clean no fowling, and almost no smoke.

I use the 135's in my shadow and my single stack. This bullet is the best compromise for me between the sluggish feeling 147's and the snappier 125's. I find that with 4.2 grs of WSF I get a great performing load that works in all of my 9mm's. I have load data posted for Donnie's bullets if you do a search in the 9mm section. I use his bullets exclusively now because they work great and he is local to me..

I liked the 135gr bullets a lot in my XDM and CZ. They feel great.

I ordered 1000 of the 135gr for testing and there were 2 of the 160gr bullets in the box. That put a cold chill in me. The 160gr look almost exactly the same as the 135gr once they're in the brass. If I failed to notice the heavier bullet when I picked it up and placed it on the case, I'd blow up my gun for sure.

Fast powders and heavy bullets. I can't get that scenario out of my head, so I don't think I can consider the Bayou 135s and still get a good night's sleep. I hesitated to post this, I know the risks always fall unto the reloader to stay safe. I just didn't like the added stress of having to presort my bullets before using them at the press.

you guys are NO help! :roflol:

Looks like I'll need to try the 135s (sounds like a good compromise between snap of 125s and softness of 147) and the 160s. The 147 with their flat nose worries me as my 1911s love a round nose profile and I'm only going to load one load.

160gr Bayou sized 356 with 3.0gr N320. I have also used 3.2gr WSF with good results, Donnie recommended the WSF

I like the 160gr. I started using them after trying my 38spl bullets in my 9MM. I am sold on the heavy bullets with a 9# spring

9# recoil spring in a cz or 1911?

I just received a bunch myself to try. I went with 2000 of the 135's and had him send me 500 of the 155gr round nose .40's to try for a cheaper IDPA load in my Eagle.

Both have run great in my 1911/2011 guns.

I was running 3.5gr of N320 under the 135gr 9mm bullets at 1.135 and they felt pretty good. Unfortunately it was a bit rainy and I wasn't even going to try and chrono anything.

I also loaded 50 of the 155's with 4.3gr of N320 and man were they accurate! I might have to bump it up a bit more. They felt a bit too good to be true.

I'm going to load some more at 4.3 and some at 4.5 and also some with Solo 1000 to do some testing and chrono work this coming weekend. From the little data I've seen on precision 155's I think the 4.5gr load should be about right.

My eagle has a 12lb spring and my Spartans have 10lb springs and they all ran fine.

160gr Bayou sized 356 with 3.0gr N320. I have also used 3.2gr WSF with good results, Donnie recommended the WSF

I like the 160gr. I started using them after trying my 38spl bullets in my 9MM. I am sold on the heavy bullets with a 9# spring

9# recoil spring in a cz or 1911?

1911, I had a custom shop shadow and it also ran fine as it came from Angus.

Your going to have to play with spring weights. My biggest problem with the heavy bullets was getting the brass to clear my shoulder.. I ended up at 135PF so the brass was behind me

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter