Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic muffs(One last time)

Sarge

The folks who where the howard leights let me try them as well. They tend to cut all sound out.

I have been using Leights for years and have NEVER experienced this. It cuts down the noise but never cuts out everything. I have the OD green model.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know for a fact that mine do. When someone is talking to me and someone starts shooting the stage, their voice is cut along with the shooting. They are not frequency filtering, just active level reducing. I haven't tried shooting while plugged into MP3 player yet. Maybe that works differently?

Yes it is odd. The guy who let me use his told me they are not very good since they clip all sound.

I guess we all perceive things differently.

I will check later to see if we are talking about the same model. I see the majority of IDPA shooters wearing these.

My Pro Ears are good, but my MSAs with gel cups are so much nicer.

I second the MSA's with gel cups, I bought this set over a year ago, they are very comfortable.

How well do they do in the summer months? Sweating (ears) is one reason I don't like to wear muffs in the summer.

Edited by hankfan79

How well do they do in the summer months? Sweating (ears) is one reason I don't like to wear muffs in the summer.

MSA + Gel = same problem. Hot, sweaty ears in hot weather. And in this part of Oregon, it doesn't usually get ALABAMA hot.

Edited by ben b.

I really like my MSA + gel pads. I'm in Oregon too. I did spend the extra 10 bucks for the little cloth booties to go over the pads though. Well worth it. Keeps the gel pads from getting slick and sweaty in the summer and keeps them cozy in the winter.

I, too, has the MSA supreme, + gel caps. CA dont get that hot, but under the burning sun, it does get toasty. I have shot in Oregon too and it was normal. Any muff will get hot, try to double plug so you can take out your muffs, wipe if you need to without worrying if somebody is shooting. Advantage is you can turn your volume high so you can still hear something even double plugged.

Ive had different muffs before, I like sordins because it is slim. light. and also the gel pad addition. it relieves the tension of a vise grip when worn for too long, but actually taking out the muffs when there is a long break actually helps, hence, double plug just in case.

Sorry about that. I'm terrible at not following up on things. I keep forgetting the vast number of forum members who are hanging on my every word.ph34r.gifroflol.gif

I ended up getting what I said I was NOT going to get.

Pro20Mag20Gold-4T.jpg

More ImagesOther products by Pro Ears

Item #:GS-DPM XXReg. Price:$329.95Our Price:$299.95Color: Black Green Pink White Quantity:up.gif

down.gifAdd To Wishlist Add To Cart

Description

Pro-Ears # 1 Seller, highest rated muff anywhere!

NRR33, Weight 13.5 oz, 5 year warranty. This unit is the highest rated model available anywhere. Designed for extreme high noise environments. Intended for range masters/instructors, indoor ranges and any covered or enclosed range. There is no higher rated ear muff anywhere.

5 year warranty.

Perfect for indoor/outdoor range use and large caliber handguns .

The ultra Passive series has all the features needed for a very comfortable and highly rated ear muff. They are rugged, modular and have comfortable

Pro Foam leather ear cushions and an adjustable padded headband which makes all day use a breeze.

•Large ear cup designed for extreme noise environment. Maximum hearing protection

•Great for range masters and NRA shooting instructors

•Best firearms shooting protection in covered or indoor shooting ranges

•Ideal for use with all handguns

•Scanner compatible for motor sports spectators

•Apple iPod, CD, motor sports scanner or radio compatible using a 3.5 mm mini jack. Enjoy high fidelity sound while protecting your hearing

•Better than isolation headphones for blocking out unwanted noise while listening to music

Edited by Sarge

I went with Sarge down to Shooters Connection, and picked up a pair for myself. The 5 year warranty really helped with my decision. Plus they seem like really high quality just from playing with them a little, but the real test will be on the range.

I went with Sarge down to Shooters Connection, and picked up a pair for myself. The 5 year warranty really helped with my decision. Plus they seem like really high quality just from playing with them a little, but the real test will be on the range.

Did you guys read the reviews in the Pro Ears website that Sarge posted the link to? First two guys who submitted reviews had unpleasant warranty experiences. I used to have a set of Golds but I couldn't see spending another $350 when those broke. I just use earplugs and regular muffs now.

I believe the old warranty was only for 1 year. The 5 year warranty sounds much better.

How are the batteries held in? Is there a cover so they can't fall out of the battery holders?

TIA,

Keith

Thanks Sarge. It's the same as the last generation muffs. As the muffs age, the spring tension lessens. I used to hang the muffs from my belt on one of those "hanger thingys", but I lost some batteries that way.

As tommy boy would say

Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

:roflol:

Wow, I have 3 sets of Ears, keep a couple pairs for company. I use Caldwell or SportsmansGuide, they are about $20. Work great, last till I break them except on one I have worn out the material on the Ear muffs. I have a pair of $70 peltors, I keep them in the trunk of the car for emergencies, don't like them.

Solid state electronics all come from the same place Tiwian or China, not much difference in quality.

Solid state electronics all come from the same place Tiwian or China, not much difference in quality.

Won't argue quality. But there are huge differences in capabilities especially when it comes to hearing protection.

So Sarge, I just saw your "for sale" ad. Didn't like them? Going back to MSA?

I've been following this thread and past threads over the past few years and for what it's worth, I just picked up an MSA Supreme Pro-X. Yesterday was the first time I got to try them other than around the house and annoying the wife. They seem to work pretty well at cutting out loud noises while still allowing a conversation to be had. Obviously, when there's a gunshot, all noise gets attenuated so there were still times where I had to say "What?". They also pick up a lot of extra noise and exaggerates it, like your footsteps on gravel, or the guy sweeping brass 30 feet away.

Comfort is excellent, but I sprung for the gel pads and the cloth covers. With other, low profile ear muffs like the Pro Ears Slim, I had a problem with them being too shallow and not sealing well behind my ears. I was worried the same thing would happen with these, but it turns out, I don't have that problem with the MSA's.

They seem to do a good job of cutting out harmful noise. After wearing them for a while on the firing line, you don't notice them cutting out noise, until you turn them off, then your whole world goes silent.

I ended up paying $308, including shipping.