Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What was the best of 2011

As the years draws to a close, the snow is clogging up the driveway, the frantic shoppers are searching for those last minutes gifts and the debate on the 3# trigger pull rages; Lets take a short moment to reflect on 2011 and perhaps share the best thing that happened to us; The highlight of the year...

For me, it was covering the Single Stack Nationals at Pasa Park this past May. After arriving late on Thursday, I checked out the stages and started covering the match the following Friday. It was a perfect shooting day, even the B-52 sized gnats stayed away thanks to copious amounts of vanilla extract. I was bug free but smelt uncomfortably like a cookie. I got some great shots of BJ, Todd Jarrett, Sara Dunivin and many others and was looking forward to the final day of shooting when the rest of the Super Squad would descend on Illinois.

That following morning I awoke to the sounds of cars tearing down the road outside the hotel, with the sound of tires on wet tarmac. The rain was falling, the clouds were dense and it was freezing! The temperature had dropped a solid 30 degrees and having only packed shorts I was in for a miserable day, but the action soon took the edge of the weather. I got to spend Saturday watching some of the best shooters on the planet battle it out for what had been arguably, 'Leatham's match'.

Watching the Leatham's (both Rob and Kippi), Sevigny, Strader, Taran Butler, Julie, Lisa, TD etc. tear up the stages was a thrill. The lead changed multiple times and until the final few stages it was anyone's match. My web-site took a hammering in the days that followed as thousands of movie clips were downloaded and photos were viewed.

When the next edition of Front Sight hit the mail-boxes I had my first ever front cover photograph, with more pictures inside accompanying my article and yet more in the article that Beth Cowgill wrote on the women's contest.

Then I got to do it all again at Vegas... good times !

What was your highlight ???

For me, it was coming back to this sport.

After a 10+ year hiatus, I had forgotten how much I enjoyed it and with a new gun on the way, I'm really looking forward to 2012.

Non-shooting related: Building a small deck for my mom and seeing in her eyes how much she appreciated it. Of course she thanked me profusely and fed me every day I was working on it, but that's beside the point. :roflol:

Having to ponder all of these:

• Making A class in Limited
    Starting Carbon Arms
    Getting the JP 25% pin at RM3G
    My best placement ever on a 3G stage of 4th
    Gaining on average another 6% on Horner
    Starting a new USPSA club with with Pistol, MG and Steel Challenge
    Switching shotgun platforms
    Switching pistol platforms

The best for me was James Casanova getting his first 3Gun match win and slot in his first shoot-off. :cheers:

Having to ponder all of these:

• Making A class in Limited
    Starting Carbon Arms
    Getting the JP 25% pin at RM3G
    My best placement ever on a 3G stage of 4th
    Gaining on average another 6% on Horner
    Starting a new USPSA club with with Pistol, MG and Steel Challenge
    Switching shotgun platforms
    Switching pistol platforms

The best for me was James Casanova getting his first 3Gun match win and slot in his first shoot-off. :cheers:

Jeeze! Thanks Mark, I'll take that as a pretty good high point of the year too! :D

2011 has been the most difficult year of my life. In so many ways, on so many levels..... There were major tests and significant trials everwhere. It was hard with family, friends, legal matters, and business matters. It really caused me to question many of my long held beliefs. I can remember thinking a several times that we "add our own weight at the gym". Sometimes we add so much that we fail. But, going to failure is the surest way I know to build strength. So, life tests us to failure sometimes too, adding more weight than we would have chosen for ourselves. And the result is strength, endurance, wisdom perhaps.....

Outwardly, there were few signs of my struggle. I kept it between me and the Universe. So, it's kinda cool to be able share about it here. Composure is always good. Especially good, in times of pressure. As 2011 draws to a close I'm feeling the burn. That good....tired.... I probably did too much...I'm really gonna be sore tomorrow..... feeling that follows. The really interesting thing is, I've got this feeling that life was preparing me for something.....

Maybe 2012 brings more weight, or maybe a rest, I don't know or care.

I'm ready.

Yes, Very cool thoughts Sam.

For me it was putting on the 2011 Ohio match and have people tell me we did a great job.

I have made a lot of new friends and had great times with old friends. My shooting ability continues to improve but I would love to make Master in Production in 2012 and I am working toward that end.

2011 has been the most difficult year of my life. In so many ways, on so many levels..... There were major tests and significant trials everwhere. It was hard with family, friends, legal matters, and business matters. It really caused me to question many of my long held beliefs. I can remember thinking a several times that we "add our own weight at the gym". Sometimes we add so much that we fail. But, going to failure is the surest way I know to build strength. So, life tests us to failure sometimes too, adding more weight than we would have chosen for ourselves. And the result is strength, endurance, wisdom perhaps.....

Outwardly, there were few signs of my struggle. I kept it between me and the Universe. So, it's kinda cool to be able share about it here. Composure is always good. Especially good, in times of pressure. As 2011 draws to a close I'm feeling the burn. That good....tired.... I probably did too much...I'm really gonna be sore tomorrow..... feeling that follows. The really interesting thing is, I've got this feeling that life was preparing me for something.....

I'm ready.

Ease up on that weight, Sam.

You still give me hope.

Yes, Very cool thoughts Sam.

For me it was putting on the 2011 Ohio match and have people tell me we did a great job.

I have made a lot of new friends and had great times with old friends. My shooting ability continues to improve but I would love to make Master in Production in 2012 and I am working toward that end.

I read many of your accolades right here. And yes, You and Your staff did it.

Coolness.

What was my best for 2011? I had a pretty simple year...

I shot more than a few matches with my best friends. Hard to top that.

I spent Thanksgiving with my Mother and one of my brothers, Bruce. My SIL Mary was also there and life was good...

I'm ready.

I can relate Sam, very inspiring. Thanks for posting.

I can relate to what sam said.

Made a big decision to quit a secure job and relocate to North Carolina. Moved down ahead of my wife and doggies.....that was tough being here alone for a few months. In the last eleven years we had not been apart for more than two days at a time. All of that was a gamble and stressful.

Then as soon as she moved here with me I lost my dad on December 2 after a long sickness.

But as Sam says you will be sore the next day. I also believe that when you recover you will be stronger.

I know that this is supposed to be "the best of 2011" topic.

So my best of 2011 is about relocating, beginning a new job that is positive, rewarding,being appreciated, meeting new friends, and a fresh new outlook towards what 2012 will bring. :cheers:

My new granddaughter, Emma. She is now 8 months and just learned to crawl this week. There is nothing greater than the blessing of a beautiful and healthy grandchild.

You know what?...being a father of 4 I can tell you that having parents that are crazy about your children is an equal blessing. Awesome pic! You have proud Pappy written all over your face.

Paul, the best of 2011 is the continuation of the story I've told some of those we shoot with.. Earlier this year I got in touch with the sweetest woman I've ever known. We hadn't spoken or communicated since we were divorced in 1973. We spent a few days together in the Adirondacks in September and realized that we'd missed each other terribly for all that time. We met again for Thanksgiving at her sister's in Oregon, where she agreed to marry me again. She came home with me and we were married here in Colorado on Dec 11. Life is good.