Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Pouch Preference: Double vs. Single

Amanda

I am looking at upgrading mag pouches that I had for IDPA for USPSA, and I am wondering two things:

1. Does anyone prefer the single over double pouch configuration?

2. Is there a limit on the type of pouch that can be used in production class? I am leaning towards the cr speed pouches, but I do not know if there are rules as to the cant or style of the pouch.

I am interested to hear all opinions. Fire away.

I prefer the CR Speed pouches for Production, because I also use the same pouches for Limited and SS. However, I used my IDPA rig for a few years when I first started.

Place as many pouches on your belt as you want, just keep them behind your hip bones. Most people run five pouches for Production. That gives you 61 rounds at the buzzer. If you need more than that, shit really went sideways and you should probably quit shooting anyway. :lol:

USPSA/ IDPA - Limited, I use CR Speed, single pouches for my Double Stack STI..;

& on a friends recommendations recently acquired a bunch of Safariland, single,

773's for my Single Stack STI to use in Single Stack..; I've been

practicing with them and like them allot, but have yet to actually run a course w/ them.

For IDPA, I use one Blackhawk Double Mag pouch, for my same Single Stack STI..

So.. Upon reading Sarge's post (V-Down There..-V) I'm editing to say I prefer Single for USPSA/ IPSC

and a double for IDPA..

Edited by gunfixer

I think single pouches are the way to go whether you get ones that will cant or not. Single pouches give you much more freedom to place them exactly as you want.

CR Speeds are big sellers and very good pouches. They will cant. Shooting in a division that requires the pouches to be behind your hipbone kind of makes canting unnecessary in my experience. But if you switch divisions later the canting feature might come in pretty handy.

Specific answers to your questions:

Single preferred over double.

CR speeds are perfectly legal for Production DIVISION.

I'm another singles fan. I started with Safariland 773 when Single Stack and L10 were still part of Limited Division. Went true Limited with a Para and 773's but CR Speed when I made the Open try. Liked the CR Speed so I added them for Production. Some place in storage is a rig for every Division except Revo and that was sold to a friend.

For IDPA i am a double fan but only use Comp-Tac, the are just spaced about perfect. If I didn't use those I would stick to singles. In USPSA I use CR Speed for Prod and 771s for SSTK. I like the CR Speeds a little better but in SSTK they are a little bulky and take up more room on the belt, I can get more 771's in the same space it seems like.

I shoot Limited and SSD only and use three DAA RM (singles) on my limited rig and three CR Speed doubles on the SSD rig. For SSD (major), I wanted 8rnds x 6 mags = 48rnds on the belt.

The problem I found with the CR Speeds is that the belt hanger is pretty wide and takes up a fair amount of belt real estate. Even though I have a fair amount of real estate :roflol: - 38" DAA belt - butted together the factory hangers still forced the carriers way around my back. So like any good dremel jockey, I hacked at the hangers and cut off the sides so that the carriers fit closer together on the belt.

Before you commit to one or the other, you might assess your belt real estate situation and see which one, single or double, fits better and still accomodates the number of magazines you wish to carry. Also, no one says it has to be all of one. You might find that the right combination is a couple or three singles and a double.

Ask around with other Production shooters at your range and see what they're using.

I know I'm chiming in a bit late, but...

I am a big fan of the Ready Tactical pouches. They are single mage pouches, legal for IDPA or USPSA, the price is very nice, and they are available from a vendor here (CPWSA)

I use the same set up for Production, Limited, and Limited 10 (different glocks, same holster and belt). I also have a set of Ready Tactical's for Single Stack. I keep both belts/rigs set up the same way, so no matter what division I shoot, the muscle memory is the same...

Another vote for Ready Tactical pouches. They're inexpensive, work perfectly, and you can get more of them, in the same (or less) space, than you can with singles from CR Speed, Safariland etc. I still run Guga Ribas pouches for Open and Limited, because I only need to be able to get at two of them (most stages anyway), and they're farther forward on my belt than Prod/SS allows.

For Prod and SS, you have to keep the mags farther back (behind the point of the hip, so you can wind up with mags all the way back to your spine if you're not a big person...that's where the RT pouches shine, due to how close you can stack them. I can reach back to #6 on my SS rig (hopefully never needed!) if necessary....that wouldn't be possible with the CRS, Safariland, etc pouches (for me).

I am going to throw in another vote for single pouches. I am only shooting Single Stack using Black hawk singles, but I can get them much closer together to keep from having to reach clear to the spine. Have an older double kydex pouch that I do not care for because it throws the spacing off and I end up with lost real estate on my belt. One other reason that I like the Black Hawk pouches is that I use an Instructors type belt and I can just clip them over instead of having to remove the belt to put them on before the match. :sight: