Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy Metal Optics handguard advice

KTKlaus

I am currently looking at an attempt to start a HM Optics build based off a DPMS 308. Its going to have a 18" barrel and trying to find options on a handguard/rail (15" or so) to cover a low-profile gas block. I have done some research (aka. google) and can only seem to find JP and Troy about the length I want. Only thing is, I own a few JP handguards which I have recently removed from my TO rifles as they seem a little heavy for me compared to my Samson Evolution 15". In addition, would like a top rail to attach DD RTS to it.

Am I missing any and does anyone have any experience with such handguards?

I am currently looking at an attempt to start a HM Optics build based off a DPMS 308. Its going to have a 18" barrel and trying to find options on a handguard/rail (15" or so) to cover a low-profile gas block. I have done some research (aka. google) and can only seem to find JP and Troy about the length I want. Only thing is, I own a few JP handguards which I have recently removed from my TO rifles as they seem a little heavy for me compared to my Samson Evolution 15". In addition, would like a top rail to attach DD RTS to it.

Am I missing any and does anyone have any experience with such handguards?

I've got my DD RTS sights on my 15" JP forend. But I guess if it's too heavy for you that won't work.

I've got my DD RTS sights on my 15" JP forend. But I guess if it's too heavy for you that won't work.

I should probably rephrase. Its not that's its "too heavy", it's more of along the lines of I would like something lighter. Most of my TO rifles in the past I've taken off as I wanted to go lighter rather to just balance it out. I just feel more comfortable with a lighter forend and seem to transition better.

Then again these experiences are from the AR15 platform and can completely change going to a 308. I may go with Troy's 308TRX 13.8 rail on this build unless I can find something else.

Edited by KTKlaus

Not sure if this will work for a DPMS .308 but if you still have the JP barrel nuts the FireBird Precision/Carbon Arms "Feather" carbon fiber handguard comes in a JP configuration allowing it to bolt directly onto the JP barrel nut in place of the JP extension. Worth looking into.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll wait to see what comes around next year. But heavily leaning toward Troy on this build just based on price. Troy looks to be $50-100.00 less then most others (JP + top rail is about 300+ and Lancer about 300.) and a local gunsmith/store, just found out, sells Troy products locally and offers Mil/LE discounts. Just wondering if anybody uses Troy on a 308.

Edited by KTKlaus