Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shooting 6 inch plates

joedodge

Im killing myself trying to get the trigger control and grip to shoot 6 inch plates like on a texas star at 12 to 20 yards. my 625 has a stock action in it poppers 8 inch plates no shoots hard cover no prob but 6 inch plates have a strange voodoo on me anyone else have issues like this lol.

Do not spend money on making your gun better, either buy or load more ammo, and go practice more :-) Adjust your sights to "pumpkin on a post" where you can put the front sight on the bottom of the plate and you can see the entire plate with that sight picture. Be sure to shoot the plates both right to left and not just left to right.

After you master the plate rack, then get some trigger work done and you will surprize yourself how this helps in all your steel shooting. The Texas Star is actually very easy...start at the top and go to one side or the other and keep your sights in the same spot and WAIT for the next plate to reach your sight picture.

Get use to never pulling the trigger if you know the plate is not going to fall, this is just a waste of time and ammo. A discipline that truly belongs to a Master...Simple huh?

Thanks for the response this gun is really teaching me alot I rock with my xd well ok as much as a high C class shooter can lol this 625 is learning me alot about how much improvement can be made im loving it. I like the dont pull the trigger unless you know it will fall. I may adjust my zero to the 6 oclock hold

I find that having a firm grip with my support hand helps control a long, heavy trigger pull. I agree with the "pumpkin on a post" sight picture even though I'd never heard anyone call it that. I always thought it was a flat tire sight picture.

do you know where you miss? practice on paper targets with a 6" circle so you know where you miss ( if you hit the paper target :-) )

grip the revo as high as possible and learn to pull the trigger while you aim. start slow so you can hear click, click, bang click, click bang

my 4" is DAO, I shoot click, click ,finger touches the frame boom, click, click, finger touches the frame, boom. (mostly PPC)

gr T

Joedodge,

I'm in the same boat you are. When I got my 625 I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. But I could hand it to a shooting buddy and they could just drill targets with it. I did several things to improve a bit but I still have a long ways to go.

1) I went to the Hogue Big Butt grips. They allow me to wrap the little finger of my support hand and get a better support hand grip.

2) I found that radically bobbing the hammer (Carmoney style) helped, believe it or not the inertia of that big hammer is very noticeable when it hits home.

Also if you will load up some moon clips a couple of rounds short and load them where you don't know which chamber they are in (or have a friend load your gun for you) it will let you see if you are doing anything wrong with trigger control or flinch. I had this explained to me by Phil Strader and Mike Seeklander at a match where I was on their squad and I was really struggling. I happened to have a couple of light strikes and they told me what was going on. It happened again in a later stage and I finally saw what I was doing. It looked like a flinch but what I was doing was anticipating recoil and trying to drive the gun back down on target too soon. Also, for awhile learn to stage the trigger and break the shot when your sight picture is right. I wasn't able to do that because I was trying to shoot my revolver like my autos, using the pad of my trigger finger. Now I use the joint where I can feel the frame with my finger tip and can tell when the hammmer is going to fall. That laser idea sounds good. I might have to look into that one myself, because like I said, I ain't there yet. I think shooting revolver division is an order and a half of magnitude more difficult than any auto, but there is success out there to be had.