Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading 50 AE

I started loading for a Desert Eagle (YES!) and am having problems.

Using 550b

I use a separate taper crimp die

RCBS steel dies. Dillon doesn't make them and no one makes a carbide die unless you pay as much as the press costs.

30 Gr H110 with new starline brass

1.580 OAL as per manual

300 gr speer hollow point.

My problem is that I have a number of bullets that I can set back into the case by pushing down hard while on the bench.

I use min belling and have rechecked this. I'm using the large funnel as per Dillon.

I started very light on the crimp then moved up to too much crimp.

I've read in some other sites about some similar issues but no resolution. Also only one or two short threads.

I know these things are tough to diagnose but could use some thoughts. I'm all out.

Check the diameter of the case after you run it through the resizer die. The die might not be sizing the case down far enough to get proper neck tension. You might be able to polish the decapping pin/manderal down a thou to get more tension.

That's odd, I'm using the same RCBS dies in my 550 and have no problems.

I use Rainier plated 300gr projectiles. They measure .5005 and Starline brass.

The neck of the case is .540, while the base is .547.

Maybe you need to screw your sizing die more down (to touch the shell plate).

Now, and don't take this for advise :devil: , I have enough powder in there to leave no room for setback.

Edited by DEP44

All good stuff.

Leas327: Will polishing take that much down? I agree if I can lower the die I can get more sizing.

BE: How do I turn the funnel down. Can any local machine shop do this?

DEP44: My brass measures .521 at the mouth on new brass and .523 after sizing a fired case. The speer bullet measures .499. The wall thickness is.012. .523-2(.12)=.499. The case tapers so the inside opens the further down you go. I'd like the sizer to size back to new. I also have a friend who loads heavy like you. When he reenters earth's atmosphere I'll ask his opinion. :devil:

Sarge: Just ordered a Lee crimp die to try. They don't make a FCD. Thanks for answering a question from a lowly 550 owner now that you're one of the privledged 650 bigshots. :devil::roflol:

Remove a cartridge from the machine after seating, but before crimping. Is it possible to move the bullet in the case? If yes, then either the size die isn't tight enough, or the bullet is undersize. If no, then you are probably overcrimping. The bullet should hold to about 30-35 pounds of pressure. More than that will move the bullet in the case a few thousanths.

Sorry, I went down and looked at a set of RCBS dies I have. They don't look like the pin is an expander like some dies I have. That might be a bottleneck rifle thing. I posted that when I was away from home.

If you are measuring your inside diameter with calipers I would try to size them down to the same as the new brass. With calipers .523 is probably more like .524/.525 because most calipers inside jaws have a small flat ground on them so you are not measuring the true largest diameter.

I didn't realize .50AE was a tapered case. If you can screw the die down to get more sizing I would try that first.

DEP44: My brass measures .521 at the mouth on new brass and .523 after sizing a fired case. The speer bullet measures .499. The wall thickness is.012. .523-2(.12)=.499. The case tapers so the inside opens the further down you go. I'd like the sizer to size back to new. I also have a friend who loads heavy like you. When he reenters earth's atmosphere I'll ask his opinion. :devil:

For what it's worth, I just changed the 550 to 50AE and get the same case measurements as you do: .523/.499 for a fired case.

With the Rainier bullets (no cannelure, like your I assume DCHP's) I do have to set the OAL to 1.610 or I would be crimping beyond the point where the bullet tapers. They barely fit the magazine but still function flawless.

For what it's worth, I just changed the 550 to 50AE and get the same case measurements as you do: .523/.499 for a fired case.

With the Rainier bullets (no cannelure, like your I assume DCHP's) I do have to set the OAL to 1.610 or I would be crimping beyond the point where the bullet tapers. They barely fit the magazine but still function flawless.

I noticed the low ogive on those squat bullets. I tried 1.60 and they got stuck in the mag. The speer probably has a differant profile from the rainier. All the bullets I use for the 50AE are without cannelure. I'm waiting to see if the Lee die is tighter. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Now, and don't take this for advise :devil: , I have enough powder in there to leave no room for setback.

+1 (Except I am using the Lee dies)..but using Speer nickel cases and Ranier 300gr also...At work, so I can't check which powder but it's a 'case fill' load also.

Loaded 50 rounds...worked like a champ...I did squeeze it between my fingers to see if it would setback..tight as a drum. VERY HARD to crimp because of the ogive (sp) of these short but big bullets...

post-34845-0-36119100-1326394292_thumb.j

If you look on the extreme left you'll see the nickel 50 AE...looks like I have very little crimp...but I had no problems and press it from both ends with normal pressure had no movement...maybe it IS the powder?

Maybe break it down and set it back up again?

Undrpsi

Edited by Undrpsi

+1 (Except I am using the Lee dies)..but using Speer nickel cases and Ranier 300gr also...At work, so I can't check which powder but it's a 'case fill' load also.

Loaded 50 rounds...worked like a champ...I did squeeze it between my fingers to see if it would setback..tight as a drum. VERY HARD to crimp because of the ogive (sp) of these short but big bullets...

post-34845-0-36119100-1326394292_thumb.j

If you look on the extreme left you'll see the nickel 50 AE...looks like I have very little crimp...but I had no problems and press it from both ends with normal pressure had no movement...maybe it IS the powder?

Maybe break it down and set it back up again?

Undrpsi

I'm now using a Lee sizing die. The RCBS sized down to .523 and the Lee is at .521-.522. I set the bullet OAL to 1.585 and so far so good. I still don't get the neck diameter you guys are getting at .54. I measure .521 on new starline brass. I'm now using the Speer TMJ which has a longer profile than the deep curl. Slightly higher ogive. Thanks for the advise.

Edited by Youngeyes