Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tuned my Grams Follower

donbryant993

New STI 140mm tube, Grams 11 coil spring and follower set, Bolen 4mm base pad.

When I initially assembled it, I could stuff 22 rounds in it (not reloadable) and was noticing when I would stuff 22 in I was denting some of the cases of the cartridges (another issue altogether)

When I took it outside for testing I was finding it would lock back with one or two rounds still in the mag, which I expected. So I did my homework and learned how to tune the follower by following the instructions on Brazos page to make the slide not lock back on the last round. It worked great. All rounds cycle reliably and when its done the mag is empty and the slide not locked back.

HOWEVER.... Now I only get 21 rounds in the mag (not reloadable) and 20 reloadable.. what gives? The amount of material I removed on the follower was very minimal. I can't for the life of me figure out why I lost one round capacity.

My initial thought is that the follower is tilting, im just not sure how to tell if it is. They all feed fine as I cycle the entire mag through the gun by hand. Its not the end of the world if I lost one round worth of capacity, especially at my current skill level. I ask the question only to satisfy my own curiosity as to how or why it could happen.

I think the spring is just stacking differently since you removed your basepad. I know with my dawson basepads I can visually see the same spring sit differently when I take it in and out. Sometimes it sits farther back or close to the wall of the tube which has caused me to lose some capacity. Now I try and make sure it sits centered to avoid problems you are having. Hope this helps.

I think the spring is just stacking differently since you removed your basepad. I know with my dawson basepads I can visually see the same spring sit differently when I take it in and out. Sometimes it sits farther back or close to the wall of the tube which has caused me to lose some capacity. Now I try and make sure it sits centered to avoid problems you are having. Hope this helps.

Thats exactly what it was.. pulled it all apart put it back together ... and 22 rounds again... (not reloadable)

Edited by donbryant993