Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommend some optics for $500 or less

ArmchairOperator556

I am a new member on the board looking to get started in 3 gun. Just ditched my M&P15 M4 w/EOTech for a Stag 3G. From what I've read, it looks like Tac Optics would be the best division for me. Can someone recommend me a good optic for the 3G? I would like to stay under $500 with a mount. I looked through a Burris Tac30 1-4x at Cabela's and was impressed with the glass. I did not like how big the dot was though. If I end up getting the Burris I would probably get the MTAC as I did not like the push button brightness adjustment.

Features I am looking for:

- True 1x Power

- Illuminated Reticle

- BDC Reticle

- Under $500 w/Mount

I just bought a Bushnell XTR 1.5-6. It is very clear and may or may not be the ticket. I have only mounted and test fired a bit. I haven't zeroed yet but my 25 yd plinking groups (3 rd) can be covered with a dime. (I was standing using a pipe gate as a rest.)

The scope is about $130 and Bushnell currently has a $30 rebate. My gut tells me it is too inexpensive for a good scope but this thing is really clear all the way through 6 power.

I usually use the Leupold AR Scope. It can be found for under $300.

Dave

Is the Burris PEPR Mount GTG?

Most people like it, have no issues with it. I had some temperature related dimensional changes with one I tested. Granted 100 degree differential is not common. It may have been an anomoly though. JP, LaRue, Spuhr, Seekins...all great mounts, just pick your favorite and don't look back.

Might add American Defense to the mounts recs? Mine seems great with TAC30.

The TAC30 seems fine in my practice sessions and 1 match. I agree that the center dot could be a bit smaller, but then you couldn't use the bottom of the center dot for 50 yd shots. Made me wander what it would be like with a hole in the center of that middle dot. I have pretty well left the illum OFF, hasn't seemed to help anything yet.

How does the Vortex compare to the MTAC in terms of illumination brightness? Anyone have any opinions on the GRSC 1-4?

The MTAC is much brighter. However, the VAST majority of the time, daylight illumination is not needed and at dusk or dawn, the Vortex is sufficient. Don't let that be you only factor.

I have a Vortex Viper 1-4x HS (covered turret caps) in a Primary Arms AR 15 mount. Cost on both (used a Midway discount on the scope) was about $500. I am not a fan of illuminated reticles for daylight shooting and like a more traditional (non horseshoe) reticle. The reticle on the Vortex is very quick to pick up on close targets and precise enough that I can hit an 8" steel plate at 400 yards with no problem. Not having looked through a Burris scope I can't compare optics but the Vortex are very, very good.

My son bought the Viper PST and a Burris P.E.P.R. mount. I like the more streamlined contour of the HS (and it was a little less money) and while the Burris mount is OK for me it is too big with rails on top. The Primary arms mount is much slimmer and just as good in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Mounted my MTAC and took it to the range for the first time today. Illumination quit working after the first round.

Might make sure the battery compartment is screwed down. It may sound obvious & stupid advice, but on my TAC3 what seemed screwed down wasn't really fully there, went like another 3/4" turn and solved my "light quit working" problem.