Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1.25x vs true 1x

thekman24

I was wondering if anyone had any comparison pictures of 1.25x and true 1x scopes. I am currently looking for a 3 gun scope and I'm stuck between the Vortex Viper HS 1-4x, Nikon M223 1-4x and Leupold VXR 1.25-4. However, I really like the idea of illumination since my eye picks up the reticle a lot faster plus I'd like to do some coyote hunting with it. I like the Nikon a lot but I dont like how the turrets are so easy to turn if they get bumped (and its not illuminated). I like the Leupold's reticle and Ive heard the glass in it is compariable to AccuPoints but its 1.25-4, not 1x.

Thanks

I would buy 1X over 1.25X.

In 3-Gun, your scope will be powered down most of the time and a good 1X scope is more appropriate for 80% of our shooting than a magnified optic.

1.25x could take more effort to shoot at close range.

I say could since it's reasonable to completely obstruct the entire optic and shoot accurately with both eyes open. Some folks can't do that and if you can't, you're in the crowd that will be taking a bit of extra time to determine which reticule/target is the "true" one when shooting a 1.25 power scope instead of a 1x.

If you're using your right eye to sight through a 1.25x - your right eye will see everything bigger + a reticle.

Your left eye will see 1X. When your brain puts them together, you'll have to remember that everything that is bigger with a reticle on it is where the bullets are going to land. If you shoot with both eyes open and ignore that, there's a possibility that your bullets will be off starting with the distance between your eyes and increasing/decreasing to a larger distance as you get further away like a big "X"(Parallax). That's not a huge hindrance to overcome for some.

The trouble comes when it's a small difference between both eyes. On 4x with both eyes open, it's obvious which image is magnified and which one is not. When we're talking about 1x and 1.25x, that means the targets will appear more similarly and this could be a problem for some when the task is to put a bullet on a brown paster at 10 yards.

With a good 1X scope, you don't have to do that - bullets go closer to the point of aim regardless of which eye you "focus" on.

Check this out:

99849525.png

Let's say you're shooting at this red circle. The correct sight picture is the one with the crosshair on the center of the circle. The smaller offset one is what your left eye would see.

With a 1X scope, you would be able to take the shot and hit reasonably close to the center with either focus - with a 1.25x, you'd better be focusing on the correct eye if you want the bullet to hit certain targets. (Small/distant ones)

Even with GOOD 1X scopes, the red circles in the diagram are not identical - they're just VERY similar.

Edited by DyNo!

it all depends on whether "you" feel 1.25 or higher is too hard to get used to. No one can make that determination for you, Daniel shot a 1.5x5 when he started and kicked butt with it, EricM used a 1.25x4, as did that Butler guy and they all have done well.

Trapr

back then i always said a true 1x on the bottom end, and thats what i used for a long time. this last year i've been running a 1.5x on the low end, and up till about 3 weeks ago i'd have said i was wrong about the 1x comment. then i realized i'd been shooting mainly matches with not so close targets vs any hoser stuff. didn't do as well as i know i can on a pile of hoser stuff, really saw my speed taper off. now i'm gonna go back to my original thought that, FOR ME, true 1x is preferable on the low end.

back then i always said a true 1x on the bottom end, and thats what i used for a long time. this last year i've been running a 1.5x on the low end, and up till about 3 weeks ago i'd have said i was wrong about the 1x comment. then i realized i'd been shooting mainly matches with not so close targets vs any hoser stuff. didn't do as well as i know i can on a pile of hoser stuff, really saw my speed taper off. now i'm gonna go back to my original thought that, FOR ME, true 1x is preferable on the low end.

You hit a very good point. It really depends on the matches you shoot. Matches seem to vary alot depending on the stage designers. I have seen matches where a heavy gun with a higher power optic ruled the day and others where it was all strictly a hoser affair where a 1x red dot on a light carbine would have been the best choice. All we can do is hope to make a choice that covers all specturms reasonable well with our own ability.

Pat